Is it all worth it?

Hi,

Its now taken me four months to obtain my provisional licence, due to having a heart attack some years ago (im now 48).

I am sitting my theory and HP this weekend, and with the cost of taking my C1 & C + E being around £2,500 I am begining to wonder, after reading some of the posts, wether a 48yr old newbie with now experience (apart from 7.5 tonne yrs ago) would be employable or ever find employment?
I am located in South West Scotland where jobs are limited.

Cheers MrG

Hi mate. All I can say is that you might find it difficult to obtain work at the moment but the recession won’t last for ever.

Hi Mr G
I’m a 52 year old newbie (class C) and am starting the big knocking on doors campaign in mid Feb, Yes it;s going to be tough but read the forum looking for the positive, not the negative. It must be possible as there are newbies out there working right now. I’m hoping that our (very) advanced age for newbies is an advantage and I’ll post any news of finding work on here.

all the best

Rich

I think I am right in saying u need class c not c1 you should already have that cat depending on when u past you car licence

misterg44:
and with the cost of taking my C1 & C + E being around £2,500

Cheers MrG

I think you mean Cat C and C+E. If you take C1 then the best articulated category you can then upgrade to is C1+E (which is only 7.5t truck with a heavy trailer).

You could of course take your C category after C1 and then go on to C+E but I think you probably meant my first scenario :wink:

Well thanks for all the comments , cheers :unamused:

I wouldn’t expect to get rich. Depending on the area you live in the agencies are paying around £6.50-7 an hour for class 2 work - even ■■■■■■■ furniture up and down stairs all day.

Pay seems to have been going backwards for the last 5 years or so. Back in 2008 the agencies were paying £7.50 an hour - last year the same agency was paying 6.50.

If your lucks in you might drop on an easy job paying £8-9 an hour but only if God is smiling on you.

you wont get rich pulling a trailer down the road but after being back driving for 2 1/2 after a break from it for 5 years i realised what I have missed and there is a certain freedom while on the road. Just get from A - B in a decent time and you shouldnt have your TM on your back or on the phone to often

Well im going for it , took my Theory an HP passed both in two days with flying colours , got a driving assement on Friday , my birthday to so bring it on .

Well done on the passes.

Keep us posted on how things progress.

misterg44:
Well im going for it , took my Theory an HP passed both in two days with flying colours , got a driving assement on Friday , my birthday to so bring it on .

All the best good luck