Is it a 15 hour day

Hi just asking for some quick advice. I did 12.5 hours on Monday and had 9 off does that count as a 15 hour. And how many times can you do a 15 in a week? 3? Cheers for help

It isn’t that you do 15hrs spreadover, it is that you take a reduced daily rest of less than 11hrs. I’d explain it in more detail but it’ll probably complicate things for you more.

You can reduce your daily rest to 9hrs three times a week.

If you remember you can reduce your daily rest 3 times a week and have to take a full 45 off every other week for most people you won’t go wrong just remembering that.

It isn’t that you do 15hrs spreadover, it is that you take a reduced daily rest of less than 11hrs. I’d explain it in more detail but it’ll probably complicate things for you more.

You can reduce your daily rest to 9hrs three times a week.

If you remember you can reduce your daily rest 3 times a week and have to take a full 45 off every other week for most people you won’t go wrong just remembering that.

gallows_man:
Hi just asking for some quick advice. I did 12.5 hours on Monday and had 9 off does that count as a 15 hour. And how many times can you do a 15 in a week? 3? Cheers for help

Your thinking on this needs a little tweaking …

Forget 15 hours days and think about reduced daily rests which is any rest period less than 11 hours (but not less than 9 hours) which fits into the 24 hour period from the end of your last rest (daily or weekly)

You can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rests - not per week because a week refers to the fixed week from sunday midnight to sunday midnight
Between weekly rest periods can be between any two periods where at least 24 hours off was taken

gallows_man:

It doesn’t count as a 15 hour day because there’s no such thing mentioned in the regulations.

The regulations say that within 24 hours from the start of the shift you must have completed a daily rest period of 11 consecutive hours, this can be reduced to 9 hours three times between two weekly rest periods.

You had a 9 hour rest period, so because it’s less than 11 hours it’s a reduced daily rest period.

You can call any shift between 13hr 1min and 15hr 0min “fifteen” if you like, but I think you’re real question is “how many times a week can I take less than 11 hours off between shifts”.
The answer is three times, and no less than 9 hours “reduced rest”.

Thus, if you do 12.5 hours Monday Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday - you then must have a minimum 11 hours off for the remaining 2 shifts you might still do that week, no more than six on the spin for the minimum weekly rest count, and no more than 56 hours driving across those six days.

Monday: 12.5 hours, rest period lead-in 11.5 hours. Full rest taken before shift.
Tuesday: 12.5 hours, rest period between 9hrs & 10hr59mins in length. Reduced rest #1
Wednesday: 12.5 hours, rest period 9 hours, " " reduced rest #2
Thursday: 12.5 hours, rest period 9 hours, " " reduced rest #3
Friday/Saturday: Combined shifts that do not take you over 56 hours driving for the entire week.
Rest periods of minimum 11 hours, weekly rest of minimum 24 hours at the end.
Don’t even think of doing the same 6 day spread two weeks on the spin though, as any delay anywhere will put you over. :wink:
I’ve never trusted “planned” 56 hour driving weeks, and never will.
The above hours should be for a 4 day week only, if one is doing such hours week in and week out. :slight_smile:

Cheers for this. Right my week so far consists of Mon, 12.5 hours and had 9 off. Tuesday i did 12 hours and had 11 off, today if i do 13.5 and have 11 off that still counts as a reduced rest doesn’t it or not?

Yes.

gallows_man:
Cheers for this. Right my week so far consists of Mon, 12.5 hours and had 9 off. Tuesday i did 12 hours and had 11 off, today if i do 13.5 and have 11 off that still counts as a reduced rest doesn’t it or not?

• Monday was a reduced daily rest period.
  • Tuesday was a regular daily rest period.
  • Today is a reduced daily rest period, because with a spread-over of 13½ hours you can only get a daily rest period of 10½ hours into the 24 hour period from start of the shift.