Is it 4:29:59 ?

Hi guys and gals,

I have some dilemma.
I’ve always thought that we could drive 4:30 before taking the 45 min break (or 30 if we have already done 15) but now my boss is saying it is 4:29 because as soon as it ticks over to 4:30 I’ve done some seconds over 4:30.
Is that true? Is it not enough to put on break when the tacho shows 4:30?

Cheers

For EU regulations driving time is the time recorded automatically or manually on the tachograph as driving time, as a digital tachograph will only record in minutes it’s not possible to do 4 hours 30 minutes and 5 seconds driving time.

On an analogue tachograph chart you would need exceptionally good reading equipment to read the graph to an accuracy of less than a minute.

Obviously you should really try to start your break before doing 4.5 hours driving time, apart from anything else if you stop the vehicle exactly on 4:30 driving time there is a chance that the tachograph will tick over to 4:31 driving time even after you’ve stopped.

Having said that, it is possible to stop exactly on 4 hours 30 minutes driving time and be OK.

And before anyone says it we know no-ones going to care about going a minute over the driving time on the odd occasion :slight_smile:

I’ve stopped on 4:30 twice. Both times when I did a print out the driving time showed as 4:31

I would have sworn on any holy text you like that I stopped as it ticked over to 4:30, but apparently not.

Some people heve problems with understanding does are directives and five min anyway does not make any change, it`s only unneeded in our trade extra stress factor.

F-reds:
I’ve stopped on 4:30 twice. Both times when I did a print out the driving time showed as 4:31

I would have sworn on any holy text you like that I stopped as it ticked over to 4:30, but apparently not.

Don’t forget in some situations that the earlier digital tachos didn’t finish counting driving time until after you had been stationary for a minute or more.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Roymondo:

F-reds:

Don’t forget in some situations that the earlier digital tachos didn’t finish counting driving time until after you had been stationary for a minute or more.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Exactly the point I was trying to make I guess!