Is hope for us new drivers?

I only passed my mod 4 yesterday. But today iv made a phone call just waiting on a call back with a potential job. There was no mention of experience, but if there is on the return call I am going to offer to do some unpaid shifts and maybe shadow one of his other truckers. The way he gets to know me and I get to prove myself. Fingers crossed it pulls off

Just offer to do a shift, don’t do it unpaid. Or a trial period. Or ask to do a couple of shifts with a more experienced driver. Or ask to bend the ear of a more experienced (and willing) driver for a couple of hours. Ask for a couple of shifts at minimum wage. Apart from being a tad illegal (arguably) to have unpaid workers, it sets us all up…
Just my 2p.

I believe that to offer to shadow another driver at no cost is not a bad plan. It shows that you’re willing to learn and to fight the “experience” thing.

I don’t, however, agree with offering to work, solo, for nothing. That stinks of exploitation and it also takes a shift from someone else with a mortgage and kids.

It’s getting better for newbies to find work and I believe it will continue for the foreseeable future. So keep banging on doors - one will open.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with what has been said, offering to work for free is a mugs game that could come back to bite you and other new drivers.

Good luck with the job though :wink:

If tis knucklehead can get work then you sure as hell can!

Don’t be afraid to bombard local companies with speculative cv’s

Make a point of mentioning your cpc in the email.

Spoke to my uncle earlier he said his place are taking on 30 new drivers as of September, regardless of age and experience.

Norbert Dogstranglers are taking on newly passed no experience too, but pay is whack unless your on agency with them.

georgy:
Spoke to my uncle earlier he said his place are taking on 30 new drivers as of September, regardless of age and experience.

Norbert Dogstranglers are taking on newly passed no experience too, but pay is whack unless your on agency with them.

I actually saw one of their artics on the M1 yesterday and the trailer and tractor had different number plates, from different countries. And he was going pretty fast (I was driving an 18-tonner and can overtake most artics, especially on hills). I suspect their wages are low because they have a ready supply of eastern European drivers, especially for international runs.

Hi

I passed my tests over the past couple of months, and my initial CPC on the 4th June. I went into a well known local company to enquire about employment and was offered an assesment drive on the 6th. All went well on the drive, and they explained to me that they were after attitude, not really experiance and were willing to give me a try however first on CLass 2 to gain some, with moving up to Class 1 once id been with them a while. To get paid from them i had to register with a local agency which they use reqularly for a 1 month trial period which is fully understanderble, and i would start my training on the 16th. I registered with the agency on the 10th. I was out on an artic on the 13th and 14th, and was asked to do the sunday for a pretty decent company that delivers to DCs for tescos, sainsburys, waitrose etc… I had to turn down the sunday as i started my trial on the monday at 00.30!! During all this time, i was also offered work from another agancy at the airport, to which i attended the assesment for experience and was offered a job there too. I have done 4 days training so far on Class 2, Tomoorow i am on Class 1… and the pay is very good.

So yes there is plenty of work for new drivers… i firmly believe it HAS been my attitude that has landed me so luckily which such a massive firm… i hope it all goes well, however i have the fall back of the agency that are desperatly trying to find drivers…

Good luck!

Thank you all for the pointers and advice. I understand what you mean about work foc was just a idea that popped into my head. Sadly I can’t still get hold of the guy, but he is a friend of a friend, and even my mate can’t get hold of him. So I’m not taking that as a bad thing. I am going to sign up to a few agency’s tho now and get a cv update(well out dated).

What sort of attitude do you portray rob? Well done on the job too mate. I’m not worried too much yet as iv only just got qualified and still have my other job so all is OK

noney82:
I’m not worried too much yet as iv only just got qualified and still have my other job so all is OK

As you’re currently working, the agencies would be a good way to gain experience on your days off while looking for full time driving work.

tachograph:

noney82:
I’m not worried too much yet as iv only just got qualified and still have my other job so all is OK

As you’re currently working, the agencies would be a good way to gain experience on your days off while looking for full time driving work.

My current job involves driving a car, does that driving time go towards my tachograph.

noney82:

tachograph:

noney82:

My current job involves driving a car, does that driving time go towards my tachograph.

Not as driving time if that’s what you mean, in any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations the work you do in your usual job would legally count as other work, I don’t know what hours you normally work but most people working full time can legally do at-least one day driving HGVs every second week.

Of course if you don’t declare the work done in your usual job you could work as a HGV driver on more of your days off but I’m not suggesting that you should, that has to be your choice :wink:

Ahhh I’m with you. I’m a cabbie only at weekends(Fri and Sat night)

IndigoJo:

georgy:

I actually saw one of their artics on the M1 yesterday and the trailer and tractor had different number plates, from different countries. And he was going pretty fast (I was driving an 18-tonner and can overtake most artics, especially on hills). I suspect their wages are low because they have a ready supply of eastern European drivers, especially for international runs.

Yeah they are based at my work, that would have been a french one as most are, but as you saw the cabs have a french plate but the trailer has some random sequence of numbers like 28 39 48 59 … as a numberplate, god knows what thats all about ill have to ask the TM when i see him :confused:

In the Sun newspaper yesterday (Friday)was a large advert from a agency wanting 100drivers at various locations for all sorts of work £500/£600 per week and it stated new drivers welcome Just dug paper out national driver supply 0800 644 4433. Or text drive to 78866

Sorry lads advert was in Thursday paper so phone today who knows ?

Why would you help an agency by posting about their advert for what is almost certainly none existent jobs :confused:

X number of drivers wanted in various locations is agency speak for “we need to fill our books with names in-case we get desperate”

Quick cv question, should I put down all of my high school results as I left 16 years ago

To tachograph. Posted advert to help drivers not agency who knows if only one person gets a job it’s helped someone get a job call and see what happens it won’t even cost a phone call

Hi,

I passed my CPC module 4 on Wednesday and I have been employed by a local company as a class 2 driver, no driving checks or CV required. I start on Monday morning and I only passed my practical test in April, so Yes, I really think there is hope for all new qualified drivers.

:smiley: