Is an agency the only way?

hi there , looking for some advice . I got my class one in may and ive been driving a 8wheeler and drag hook loader since . been with this company for over 5 years now (don’t think I even stayed at school for that long !) . would like to get out of the waste away industry so was thinking supermarket distribution or similar . is it true they all employ thru agencies only ? cant find any jobs advertised except the ones in agencies . cheers

catterall:
hi there , looking for some advice . I got my class one in may and ive been driving a 8wheeler and drag hook loader since . been with this company for over 5 years now (don’t think I even stayed at school for that long !) . would like to get out of the waste away industry so was thinking supermarket distribution or similar . is it true they all employ thru agencies only ? cant find any jobs advertised except the ones in agencies . cheers

A lot of them want you to start on agency-so they can see if you are capable before they employ you. Some wont employ -only using agency so that they can ride the peaks and troughs without the hassle of hiring/firing etc.

thanks for that , just feels like madness to leave a half decent job to sign on at an agency . mmm decision time I guess !

Large/national companies use agency drivers since they don’t have to worry about ppe-payroll costs-pensions-training(cpc/operator tickets) h&s liability-HR staff etc. It is also a tax break for them as an expenses each year. It is also true in areas they service that is seasonal such as tourism oriented areas-eg Devon & Cornwall/coastal areas.
[/quote]
A lot of them want you to start on agency-so they can see if you are capable before they employ you. Some wont employ -only using agency so that they can ride the peaks and troughs without the hassle of hiring/firing etc.
[/quote]
As Skippy said: Once they find some one suitable/groomed them they will then offer a job often in another area. The offer will usually be for less money than the agency so if this happens negotiate what you want each hire deal is unique so you wind up working with other company drivers who are often paid LESS- careful this can cause problems!

blimey its a minefield !! thanks for the advice fellas

If you have regular employment I would advise staying put.Agencies can promise all sorts but just look on here and find out what their reputations are really like.

Yeah they are all liars, treat you with contempt and leave you high and dry in the end :cry:

Any one want to fix this?

alder:
Yeah they are all liars, treat you with contempt and leave you high and dry in the end :cry:

Manpower is the only legit/reliable outfit to sign with…

Manpower gave me some work with Royal Mail.There were quite a few misunderstandings to put things politely which resulted in me being sent home for turning up “late”.Manpower would phone me and tell me to start at 23.00 hours I would report at 22.45 and get what time to you call this?I wanted you in for 22.00 .The work was easy but ^^.

Personally I wouldn’t recommend leaving a full time position unless absolutely certain that there’s a temp-to-perm, legit vacancy - in which case the consultant will be more than prepared to tell you who the company is you’d be working for, full details of the job in terms of duties / routes likely, what the shift patterns look like etc.

In your case, I would ring the agencies in question and explain you’re in full time looking to move to supermarket work - you’ll find some supermarket’s preferred suppliers aren’t necessarily their local agencies and they’re a little further afield. Failing that, get in touch with the firm directly and ask them about their main supplier (explain that you’re a driver looking to work with them - also opens the door for direct employment and avoids them thinking you’re a competing agency pulling a fast one).

Register with the agency whilst you’re working if you can find a day off, explain to them your situation, and possibly make time for an assessment on site (whilst still working, yes). If you have flexibility in your current job to pick up odd shifts (be they weekend or otherwise) then utilise that for a couple of weeks and get a feel for it - given you’ll be really tight on working hours etc. you could explain to your current employer that you need extra cash… if that’s impractical then hopefully the assessment will give you a good feel for how regularly you’ll be offered work, what routes they’re looking to cover and the likelihood of being offered full time employment if you make a good impression via the agency.

Hope this helps.