Is age a barrier?

I am 50 and have decided that my future is in driving trucks.

My plan is to go for a C licence, get some experience, then go for the C+E and do a HIAB course (as it seems that there is a bit of a shortage of drivers when I look at the vacancies locally). I understand initially I won’t be able to be choosey with work that I take and that it’s all about getting experience before looking at more long-term jobs.
My big worry though is my age. I would welcome any opinions on whether I might struggle to find any work given how old I am?

I can only speak for myself , but I didn’t do my class 2 till I was 53 then class 1 straight after , and got the first job I went for , mind you I didn’t take to it and am now not driving at the moment . Don’t let your age put you off as there is work out there

I only started driving last summer at 48. Age hasn’t been a barrier at all for me. Unlike JeffEddie I’m enjoying the career change.

I have just turned 50 -12th may, did my Cat C in April, my ADR this week with Diesel Dave got my C+E booked for next week with Flair Training… 2 other lads on the ADR course this week one was 57 the other 58 …

just follow your dreams…

Only if you want it to be… I was heading towards 49 years old when I started out, older drivers have usually built up a good bit of driving experience and are cheaper to insure so some positives do come with age.

No this is!

:open_mouth:

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

You would still be younger than the industry average age.

F-reds:
You would still be younger than the industry average age.

And a lot less bitter and twisted… :wink:

Evil8Beezle:
No this is!

:open_mouth:

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bad man!!

I’m 49 soon and got my first cat c job today, permanent too with 2 week induction so well chuffed. Proves age and inexperience aren’t a barrier.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I’m 25, been in a job now driving a class 2 for over a year, also my company paid for my class one for me as well :slight_smile:

50 is old now then? :frowning:

As an employer, I can say age won’t be a problem. Like you say, might not get to be too choosy on your first job, but after that it shouldn’t make too much difference.

At 49 I’ve had over 30 years driving experience albeit in cars it can’t be a bad thing.

Age is all about mind over matter,if you don’t mind,it don’t matter !

Get on with it Grandad and tell us when you’ve passed :wink:

Sent from my XL 10 Bell _ using BellChat.

Ramon123:
Age is all about mind over matter,if you don’t mind,it don’t matter !

Get on with it Grandad and tell us when you’ve passed :wink:

Sent from my XL 10 Bell _ using BellChat.

Exactly and to prove this point I’m at Thorpe Park today for a bit of coaster fun.

I’m 26 and in my first driving job and can tell you I’m the youngest there, theres about 15 drivers and i would say at least 11 are over 50, i think the only person that would see it as a problem is yourself, if you are fit and healthy enough to do it then theres no issue, i think a lot of drivers start later on in life after deciding they want a different career.

Good luck, just get straight into it

I drove fuel tankers in western Canada until 2008 .I was 58 then I went to Calgary transit and trained as a city bus driver been there ever since I hit 67 in October so in my case I ve had no problem .I got my british psv and class one hgv in 1974/5 but unfortunately these are now expired. I m not sure if I could still do long haul because of stomach problems .We had a train driver at work packed it in last year aged 76. It depends entirely on the individual.

Thanks to all of you that have contributed and have confirmed what I thought was the case.

Onwards and upwards or should it be forwards and reverse (not looking forward to that bit but practise makes perfect I hope) :smiley:

carryfast-yeti:
50 is old now then? :frowning:

50 is the new 40. As in 'Life begins…