Is a trailer tyre blowout obvious?

Just curious as it hasn’t happened to me yet, but how obvious is it if a trailer tyre blows?

Would it be more noticeable on an empty or loaded trailer?

Most of our trailers are tri-axle

Cheers, Nez

Oh it’s obvious you’ll know about it especially an the motorway on your limiter. It’s not the backs to worry about its when your front tyre goes I soiled my pants on that one :slight_smile:.

Never happened to me yet and I say yet because it will happen, then you’ll know. I’ve heard one and you’re lucky enough to still have your ear drums intact afterwards :stuck_out_tongue:

not always at first on the trailer

You will hear a proper blowout and it normally takes the mud wings and marker lights with it, you can often smell a slack tyre before it pops off the rim.

Has happened to me on a trailer but not obvious at first

Also had a couple on a sprinter & yep knew about them

As above you normally hear a super-single go if it goes big time in one go… Our Decker is on 17.5" duals and if you loose one of them you’ve no idea unless you smell it or get a flash from another driver. Even worse on ours where the wheels are fully boxed into lockers so you cant see any smoke!

Just make a habit of having a quick look at your tyres each time you drop/stop.

Our deckers often come back with flats. (Small duals) So I assume they aren’t that obvious.
Never known a company eat rubber like we do. ATS is in the yard daily changing rubber.

Sam Millar:
I’ve heard one and you’re lucky enough to still have your ear drums intact afterwards :stuck_out_tongue:

I had one on a 7.5t and it sounded like a cap gun :smiley: Which was slightly more impressive than the one I had in a Sprinter…

I had a blowout coming out of Mont blanc French side and that is a steep long hill descent. Drivers side front went with a massive bang and we all had a heart attack, me, second man and the hostess. I have to say there was a lot of wobbling etc. but managed to bring the Coach to a stop on the side of the road and me and the second man changed the tyre in 45 minutes. Vehicle was this

I had to change my underwear when it happened! :unamused:

had plenty of trailer blow outs and when a super single blows you will know, a slow deflate will not be so obvious smoke is the normal signal.

Had and o/s/f blow out going into a bend at avebury stones one day and that was interesting, front sat down on the steel under bar no steering and carrying straight on a tight left hand bend, good job there was no one coming the other way at the time, or it would of been be total wipe out :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

the one on a rear O/S trailer axle that went just as i drove my car past certainly caught my attention…