Is a medical needed?

Hi, just wondering if anybody can with a question please. I currently have 7.5ton grandfather rights on my licence, so i took my 35 hours cpc training last year to get driver card and have tacho card. I don’t currently drive for a living (vehicle technician) but hopping to change career this year. I do have my HGV provisional i i also took my hazard and theory test last year. I turn 50 this month, do i need another medical as the last one i had was 6 years ago at least. I have had no letter from DVLA, but as far as i understand you need a medical at 50 then every 5 years?

you have to take a HGV medical at age 45,then every 5 years after upto age 65.

carryfast-yeti:

If you’ve got C1 under grandfather rights because you passed your car test before 1997 do you because you never needed to in the past.

Winks41:
Hi, just wondering if anybody can with a question please. I currently have 7.5ton grandfather rights on my licence, so i took my 35 hours cpc training last year to get driver card and have tacho card. I don’t currently drive for a living (vehicle technician) but hopping to change career this year. I do have my HGV provisional i i also took my hazard and theory test last year. I turn 50 this month, do i need another medical as the last one i had was 6 years ago at least. I have had no letter from DVLA, but as far as i understand you need a medical at 50 then every 5 years?

Your provisional only lasts 5 years *. Did you get it before or after you were 45?

I would expect your provisional to last until expiry without a further medical. When does your provisional expire?

viewdrivingrecord.service.g … n#vehicles

(2 year expiry for theory tests)

Edit * maybe that’s just mine because of my age. But your provisional will have an expiry date, and that will be when you need a medical to renew your provisional.

Conor:

carryfast-yeti:

If you’ve got C1 under grandfather rights because you passed your car test before 1997 do you because you never needed to in the past.

No medical required for C1 until you’re 70. Obviously you do as stated for proper HGV’s