Is a Digi Card compulsory for all drivers of HGV,s

Is a Digi Card compulsory for all drivers of HGV,s?

We have a 4.6t Sprinter that has an analogue tacho fitted and this vehicle is the only 1 our van driver will drive with a Tachograph fitted,whenever it is off the road for MOT and other things I hire him a van which is under the 3.5t Threshold for tachographs so until I purchase another van between 3.5t - 7.5t he will not ever need a Digi Drivers card,

Another Driver phened me today and said it does not matter if he does not drive a vehicle fitted with Digi Tach he still needs to apply for a Digi Drivers card and carry it on him.is this true?,as it does not seem right to fork out the doh for something he may not use.

My thoughts were that you only need to hold one if you ever drive vehicles fitted with a Digi Tachogragh :bulb:

■■■■■■■■!

If you drive a wagon with a digi tacho, you need a digi card. If you drive an analogue, you need a pen and a chart.

If you don’t have one, you cant drive digital. There is nothing to say you must have one.

I don’t and a lot of folks on here never use theirs!

ryly1979:
My thoughts were that you only need to hold one if you ever drive vehicles fitted with a Digi Tachogragh :bulb:

Your thoughts are correct.

Thank you both for your replies,very much appreciated

But just remember, that if you do hold a digi card, then you must have it with you when you drive in a professional capacity, even if you never actually use it.
There are other posts on this subject which show you what can happen if you don’t!

The biggest problem is for drivers/companies who dont have any vehicles with digi tachos but then, for what ever reason, have a requirement to drive one. A loan vehicle, demonstrator, insurance hire etc etc. It’s another governmnet tax of course :wink:

Thank you somerset bus driver
I did know this info as I a National and International CPC in road haulage but wanted to double check as I can be wrong sometimes (everyday is another day of learning for me)