Is 7.5t Valuable Experience?

right, some of you may have read that I passed my Class C the other week… and jolly nice it was too.

I was put forward through my company (although they didnt pay for the retests) I am now tied to them for a year, as they put up the capital for my training, if I want to leave before this time, then I have to pay the amount back in full. It’s not an issue as I would find the money if it came to the crunch.

The company runs LWB sprinters for central city bashing, and both 5 tonne and 7.5 tonne box lorries for the out of towners, and for some of the larger hotels, that take wheeled cages. They put me through the test as I am a cover driver so needed to be able to drive any vehicle in the fleet. I cover for any driver that is on holiday, off sick or doesnt show up, bit of a pain as you never know where you are day to day, but its not too bad.

Now i was wondering, if driving a 7.5t is considered valuable experience to those companies recruiting for class C positions (to all intents and purposes, would potential employers need to know what exact vehicles I was driving, or could you just say “up to 18t” or something), or if its just a waste of time, and I should think about applying for class C positions right away.

I enjoy my work far more while it is challenging, and driving the bigger vehicles…particularly in central london, provides the most challenge. I don’t particularly want to drive 7.5t forever, particularly if there is more money in the bigger classes.

However, the money is reasonable, but its a fixed 40 hour week, no overtime, regardless of time spent working (there is a commision scheme to compensate slightly for lost hours, but most of the regular route drivers dont get anywhere near 40 hours if they can help it). It’s a nice company to work for, and they give you opportunities for extra training, I may be able to get my CPC Road Haulage through them also.

The commute is the only major downside I live in South Oxfordshire the depot is in the West End, but again its weighted against the fact that we take the company vehicles home, rather than our own vehicles, so there are no personal fuel costs (dont ask me why they are happy to do this)

There is lots to consider, was just after peoples thoughts of the situation, particularly regards whether the experience is worthwhile or not.

It is the most important experience you will ever get. Most of the old hands started driving on something smaller or at least rigids. You will gain valuable experience route planning, dealing with people and chasing deadlines.

I started on a 3 tonner when they used to weigh the truck empty to get it under the HGV regs.

Some bodybuilders were masters at twisting the truth and could make a ten tonner gross vehicle weigh less than 3 tons :stuck_out_tongue:

I would drive a reliant robin if it paid the bills :smiley:

I’d agree with finding places and the like, no matter what you are driving that’s all good experience…but as I’m sure you’re aware there is a bit of a difference in actually driving a 7.5t and a 7.5t plus rigid.

I never drove a 7.5t before I passed my Class 2 as I’m too young and the first time I did I thought it was like driving a van again.

A few 7.5t drivers have said things to me like “it’s just the same only with two steps up to the cab”.

Another one who went out with me to help handball some stuff, kept telling me I could have pulled into gaps at roundabouts when I didn’t. I got my own back when I had to go and pull him out, when he got his dinky toy stuck though. :smiley:

I’d say the answer was yes and no…it depends on the person judging your experience when you go for jobs. If you are honest about your experience you might find it pays off in the long run.

WildGoose:
The commute is the only major downside I live in South Oxfordshire the depot is in the West End, but again its weighted against the fact that we take the company vehicles home, rather than our own vehicles, so there are no personal fuel costs (dont ask me why they are happy to do this)

So do you pay ‘company car’ rates of tax? Taking a works vehicle home hammers your tax code!! If it is done ‘unofficially’ and the Tax & Revenue people find out, they don’t show no mercy (as a fellow employee can vouch for!! Ouch!!!).

What about the operating center issue?

BTW, as I look back over my ‘driving career’, I found the biggest step-up, and consequently the steepest/best learning curve, was going from car to 7.5t. The next step-up to Class 2 (as it was) was easy in comparison.

marcustandy:
Taking a works vehicle home hammers your tax code!!

I used to have a company vehicle that was a van and the tax charge was extremely favourable compared to the tax on a car. It’s going back a few years so I presume they closed this ‘loophole’ ?

mrpj:

marcustandy:

I used to have a company vehicle that was a van and the tax charge was extremely favourable compared to the tax on a car. It’s going back a few years so I presume they closed this ‘loophole’ ?

TBH, I don’t know if there is a difference between car & van tax. It was a serious question I asked, not a sarcastic one. :wink:

The chap who I knew that got done was from the ‘office’ and was taking his works fleet car home despite not going for the ‘company car tax bracket’. He was stopped going out of the front gate by the ‘taxman’ who had been watching him for a while. I thought it was a bit ‘overkill’ but there again, it supposedly made £4.5k difference per year. An easy ‘claw-back’ for the taxman, perhaps. :confused:

So do you pay ‘company car’ rates of tax? Taking a works vehicle home hammers your tax code!! If it is done ‘unofficially’ and the Tax & Revenue people find out, they don’t show no mercy (as a fellow employee can vouch for!! Ouch!!!).

What about the operating center issue?

i wasn’t too clear to be honest, the vehicles are left at an ‘operating centre’ at another company premises in Reading, we drive our own vehicles home from there, but its just down the road for me and a handful of other drivers that live out this way rather than in London

cheers for the points peeps, food for thought :slight_smile:

Just tell a prospective employer that you have been driving rigid LGVs - which is the truth as both C & C1 are LGVs

I had a company van,used to cost me a tenner a week extra tax.
well worth it though :wink:

ROG:
Just tell a prospective employer that you have been driving rigid LGVs - which is the truth as both C & C1 are LGVs

Wrong, ROG. A 7.5 tonner is an MGV (Medium Goods Vehicle), hnece you don’t need an LGV licence to drive it. :wink:

Will look up the exact regs for you when I get home and get chance. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lucy:

ROG:

Wrong, ROG. A 7.5 tonner is an MGV (Medium Goods Vehicle), hnece you don’t need an LGV licence to drive it. :wink:

Will look up the exact regs for you when I get home and get chance. :stuck_out_tongue:

If wrong, I apologise. I have not got the legal definition but I was under the impression that LGVs are ALL vehicles that require a tacho :astonished:

Andyroo:
I’d agree with finding places and the like, no matter what you are driving that’s all good experience

agreed. if anything, you are better off learning the ropes in a smaller vehicle. at least WHEN you take a wrong turn (you will, we all do), its easier to get turned around and back on track

ROG:

Lucy:

ROG:

If wrong, I apologise. I have not got the legal definition but I was under the impression that LGVs are ALL vehicles that require a tacho :astonished:

A 7.5t is a medium goods vehicle although obviously unless exempt requires a tacho:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022547

Scroll down the link and it does state “medium sized”

How many thousands of pounds did it cost to change the names of the classes?

There was nothing wrong with the old classification.

HGV and Non HGV

C + E and C1 and all that crap.

I hold a class one HGV, thats what I took when I passed my test.

LGV
Light Goods Vehicle
Long Goods Vehicle
Large Goods Vehicle
Low Goods Vehicle
Lonely Goods Vehicle

Its all political crap[/list]

marcustandy:

mrpj:

marcustandy:

TBH, I don’t know if there is a difference between car & van tax. It was a serious question I asked, not a sarcastic one. :wink:

Yes there is a BIG difference.

If your company requires you to take a company van home the there is no tax to pay. If you use the the van for personel use other than to compute between base and home then tax is payable. Last time I check it was approx 3k PA. This comes off your tax code. E.g tax code 502L would changd to approx 202L. So of the 3k PA you pay 22%. Total £660 PA. Personal fuel is also included.

With a company car you are taxed for both car and personel use of fuel. E.g you get hammered!!!

When I was a mobile enginner picked a van over a car because of the above reason. Back then tax on a van was £500 PA of tax code.

Just putting in my 2 pence worth in.

JIm