Irish firms

I think if your enquiring about shift patterns you may want to rethink wanting to work for an Irish crowd. Your payed by the day and there’s 24 hours in a day. Or payed by the trip which is a fools game because you’ll have to fiddle something to earn the money.

Arklow89:
I think if your enquiring about shift patterns you may want to rethink wanting to work for an Irish crowd. Your payed by the day and there’s 24 hours in a day. Or payed by the trip which is a fools game because you’ll have to fiddle something to earn the money.

Didn’t know firms still paid trip money, thought that had gone the same way as percentage(which amounts to the same thing realy), rarely hear of anyone paying percentage nowadays, 21% of gross, used to be almost the set pay scheme for dock work such as unaccompanied trailers and boxes :wink:

Could always try John Raymond, ‘part of the Nolan Group’. They’ve bought a whole six new lorries. Last of the big spenders is Nolan. (I passed an 02 DAF of theirs in France yesterday. 14 years old!)

eddie snax:

switchlogic:

ezydriver:
Thanks all, some good replies here.

Switchlogic - I’d prefer to stay in Ireland and UK, so Virginia sound appealing. What kind of hours could I expect? Do they have a variety of shift patterns? Is the pay any good?

Tramping general haulage doesn’t really involve shift patterns as such you just do as needed. You would get some weird hours now and again but generally you’d be doing days on that work

Its surprising that some one wanting to do Tramping, whether Continental, British Isle’s or just UK would be asking that question :open_mouth:

Shift patterns would defeat the object off Tramping, wouldn’t it :wink:

Where did I say I wanted to do tramping?

Arklow89:
Dixon- run 100% legal at 85k, supposedly easy work.

Virginia- pretty much the same except there’s a sprinkling of v8s

Caffrey- lots of EE relatively decent plant.

O Toole- legal but planned to the last minute, lots of split rests, strange start times and the most unorganised place you’ll ever set foot in.

Maguire Int- decent plant running legal.

Carna- again plenty of EE drivers, good few Irish too. Sound enough from what I hear but money is crap.

The New Ross triangle of Breen, willie o Leary and Nolans are to be avoided. O Leary(sail away and never come home as the saying goes) all EE, same with Breen. Nolan is hiring Irish men again and paying a lot better than most.

As for magnets and fiddling tachos, there’s a reason why a lot of Irish fridge men run old scanias and early digi tachos. Majority of the cross channel fridge work cannot be done legally without fiddling something.

If your willing to work and do the hours you’ll make money with an Irish firm but most won’t be able to stick the pace with an Irish haulier.

They can use the magnets/on the bang/on the wire but I give your these 4 letters:

ANPR

Have a bad accident Eric and your going to jail!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

eddie snax:

Arklow89:

Didn’t know firms still paid trip money, thought that had gone the same way as percentage(which amounts to the same thing realy), rarely hear of anyone paying percentage nowadays, 21% of gross, used to be almost the set pay scheme for dock work such as unaccompanied trailers and boxes :wink:

Nearly all the subbies pulling nordie fridges will pay trip money, 2 trips first week, 3 the next week. Still plenty of smaller operations paying trip money for continent. I know a local man that sends 2 trucks to Bologna every week from Wexford. Pays 800e whether it’s 5/6/7 days depending how quick your tipped/reloaded. But if it takes the 7 days your straight back out Monday morning again. One truck is 04 other 07 reg, when your time is up on the digi you swap trucks and drive her on.

ezydriver:

eddie snax:

switchlogic:

ezydriver:
Thanks all, some good replies here.

Switchlogic - I’d prefer to stay in Ireland and UK, so Virginia sound appealing. What kind of hours could I expect? Do they have a variety of shift patterns? Is the pay any good?

Tramping general haulage doesn’t really involve shift patterns as such you just do as needed. You would get some weird hours now and again but generally you’d be doing days on that work

Its surprising that some one wanting to do Tramping, whether Continental, British Isle’s or just UK would be asking that question :open_mouth:

Shift patterns would defeat the object off Tramping, wouldn’t it :wink:

Where did I say I wanted to do tramping?

TBF you didn’t say you wanted tramping, which must mean that you are soon to be emigrating to Southern Ireland which would necessitate you finding a haulier to work for over there. Other wise, why would you be looking for an Irish firm to work for living in Northampton, if you didn’t want or weren’t prepared to tramp. it don’t make sense :confused:

How did you think you could work for an Irish company and not do tramping?!

Arklow89:

eddie snax:

Arklow89:

Nearly all the subbies pulling nordie fridges will pay trip money, 2 trips first week, 3 the next week. Still plenty of smaller operations paying trip money for continent. I know a local man that sends 2 trucks to Bologna every week from Wexford. Pays 800e whether it’s 5/6/7 days depending how quick your tipped/reloaded. But if it takes the 7 days your straight back out Monday morning again. One truck is 04 other 07 reg, when your time is up on the digi you swap trucks and drive her on.

Brilliant, got to know the “Paddies” still pulling stunts :smiley: , love it :laughing: . Makes a change from the sterile world of logistics :unamused: , though personally I wouldn’t go back to it :wink:

Surely not every class 1 job in Ireland is tramping, is it?

ezydriver:

So you are emigrating :question:

eddie snax:
which must mean that you are soon to be emigrating to Southern Ireland which would necessitate you finding a haulier to work for over there.

You would probably get a more focused response if you made it clearer as to what you were looking for and where :unamused:

Lately I’ve been thinking of moving to Southern Ireland. I’m not sure where, and it depends on where I could find a suitable job. I want to stay away from tramping, and prefer to be home most days - though I don’t mind a couple of nights out a week. I also want to run straight. So I am hoping for some advice, recommendations, pointers, etc, so as to help me. I don’t know… perhaps there’s nobody in Ireland that can offer that, in which case I’d have a rethink. Basically, I don’t want to be married to a lorry.

ezydriver:

Well no of course not, but you dont live in Ireland

ezydriver:
Lately I’ve been thinking of moving to Southern Ireland. I’m not sure where, and it depends on where I could find a suitable job. I want to stay away from tramping, and prefer to be home most days - though I don’t mind a couple of nights out a week. I also want to run straight. So I am hoping for some advice, recommendations, pointers, etc, so as to help me. I don’t know… perhaps there’s nobody in Ireland that can offer that, in which case I’d have a rethink. Basically, I don’t want to be married to a lorry.

You could have done with pointing that out to start with :smiley:

switchlogic:

ezydriver:

I’m just trying to keep it true to transport mate. Mis-communication and bad planning :laughing:

Touchè

ezydriver:

eire stretches from donegal to waterford…bit of a distance in between…theres very little vosa type interest,almost no fixed cameras,occasional cameravan.and 99% chance that if you get stopped by the guards,they wont be terribly interested in trying to crucify you as in the uk…try to be flexible with the jobsworth approach and there will be some local dung jobs available…do not expect big pay.do not expect to run 100% legal with most otherwise you will be of no use to them.eire is a great laid back lace to live with certain exceptions…dublin,cork for being major city toilets,galway and tuam ballinasloe area as they are polluted with diddycoys for obvious reasons,and any of the irish only communities as you will be treated as if you are radioactive.anywhere else is absolutely laid back and exceptionally nice to live.theres some that just despise the english because of historic reasons,but most in the remoter areas just dont give a toss about anything…parking on 3 yellow lines in most towns means that its best to dump at least 1 wheel up over the pavement.pub lock ins abound,and they also do a generous dole if your inclined.its a tad more expensive,but easy if you live in eire and shop in northern ireland.if you want a good wage,then your going t be tramoing legal or otherwise.(otherwise is usually more fun and rewarding)… :slight_smile:

ezydriver:

switchlogic:

ezydriver:

I’m just trying to keep it true to transport mate. Mis-communication and bad planning :laughing:

Looking for a new life in a different country may not be transport related, but looking for a driving job in that country sure is.

Good Luck with your search buddy :smiley:

ezydriver:
Basically, I don’t want to be married to a lorry.

I don’t know so much, the truck never complains that I’m late or that the toilet seat has been left up again, or that I’ve altered the seat and mirrors in the Car, doesn’t tell me I’ve had enough to drink(though Mrs Snax usually says get some more down your neck) or to stop ■■■■■■■ scratching and snoring. Come to think of it the truck is a very easy house mate :smiley:

The bottom line is if you want a job in Ireland there is loads of work local UK or European you will have your pick but you can’t do UK from Ireland and not tramp so I think what your looking for is a irish company based in UK doing UK work

Adonis.:

stevejones:
both facing in/out but they only activate when harsh braking/accidents etc

Well that’s a no from me.

Cheers for the info mate, do you work for them?

A.

My mate works for Dixons, loves it and defo NO in cab cameras, forward facing and wing mirror cameras only.