Irish drivers jailed for tacho fraud.F

toby1234abc:
If Boyles were doing 22 hours non stop, coming off the ferries in Northern France will get you between South of Madrid and Malaga, how did they stay awake, at some point in time the caffeine has no effect, and when your body and mind needs to rest it will tell you.

To push on that much does no good whatsoever. You just can’t do it day in day out.
You’ll earn good money for 2 or 3 weeks, then it’s a week off to recover, So your average isn’t that much better than doing it legal.
I don’t have a problem with anyone pinching a bit here and there. There are many reasons why it gets done.
But 22 hours none stop is too much. I know, I’ve done it and seen the after effects.

It is called burning out when the nerves are frazzled, i once spoke to a Eurolines coach driver who did nights on a two driver team, he was a nervous wreck and with shaky hands and a chain smoker living on double expresos.

You don’t do it day in day out, you push on to get tipped then have a day off. Gowl around doing collections the next day, fill out with groupage the one after, then home as hard as she’ll go. Have a day or two on the beer before the adventure starts again. Sometimes after 40 or so hours it’s very hard to sleep because you’re so wired (pardon the pun) so you have a few pints or a bottle of wine. That’s when you find out what deep sleep is.

But still, so many months for stealing a wire? That’s just cruel.

Scanner:
You don’t do it day in day out, you push on to get tipped then have a day off. Gowl around doing collections the next day, fill out with groupage the one after, then home as hard as she’ll go. Have a day or two on the beer before the adventure starts again. Sometimes after 40 or so hours it’s very hard to sleep because you’re so wired (pardon the pun) so you have a few pints or a bottle of wine. That’s when you find out what deep sleep is.

Spot on Scanner.

This is the way it used to be done. Flat out with a load on your back and then some RnR before loading and going again. I’m not saying it was right but it worked.

The trouble is that for those that haven’t worked this way it is perceived that “running bent” means going flat out 24/7 where as in most cases it is actually only a day or two at a time with plenty of rest in between.

Speak to any euro drivers and especially the irish or dutch from the 80/90s and they will all tell you that in the god old days of “running bent” there was a lot more time in the job to be sociable.

Compare this with running hard but to the letter of the law these days where on euro work you’ll end up starting 1-3 hours earlier each shift and before you know it you’ve turned your day around over 6 shifts. Also wheres the RnR in a 24 hour rest if you’ve done a full shift in front if it and more as likely starting on another after your 24 hours and thereby completely turning your working pattern on its head.

Long distance euro work is totally different to domestic work and really needs its own set of rules suited to what the job entails.

Cheers
Neilf

Good points there and it did work well and a quick bung of coffee money kept the truck running and what happened was a full dsys drive to get a reload and when loaded at 4 or 5 am the would inform the client that you left at that time and never cared that you have done a full card to get loaded and would expect you to be on time to unload.

neilf:

Scanner:

Spot on Scanner.

This is the way it used to be done. Flat out with a load on your back and then some RnR before loading and going again. I’m not saying it was right but it worked.

The trouble is that for those that haven’t worked this way it is perceived that “running bent” means going flat out 24/7 where as in most cases it is actually only a day or two at a time with plenty of rest in between.

Speak to any euro drivers and especially the irish or dutch from the 80/90s and they will all tell you that in the god old days of “running bent” there was a lot more time in the job to be sociable.

Compare this with running hard but to the letter of the law these days where on euro work you’ll end up starting 1-3 hours earlier each shift and before you know it you’ve turned your day around over 6 shifts. Also wheres the RnR in a 24 hour rest if you’ve done a full shift in front if it and more as likely starting on another after your 24 hours and thereby completely turning your working pattern on its head.

Long distance euro work is totally different to domestic work and really needs its own set of rules suited to what the job entails.

Cheers
Neilf

Exactly.

I’m sure it was better back in the day & I’d prefer to run how I want to run & feel like running but there will always be those who get it wrong, do that little bit too much and take themselves & others out or bow to pressure from the boss.

On the flip side those sorts of people probably don’t pay any attention to the rules we have now anyway…