Irish companies

Ok I’m a single guy and i’m thinking of going over the water to look for work to Eire, I’m on a break now so spending a few days or so doesn’t matter, a lot would think I’m mad but it’s what I want to do, something similar to what switchlogic does, but there’s a couple of things.
Do I go on own and take all my truck gear with me and if successful leave my car there as I may need it,
or do I go with e.g my dad so he can bring my car back for me if im succesful and hope I don’t need it and get a older ok motor there to use. so ideas!

Also Any ideas on the decent outfits to try who are recruiting! It’s a gamble but to get job I want I will.

Try Dixon international a good reputation I heard.

Will do but they don’t seem to advertise anywhere

I would take all the cab gear and truck with you.You may stumble on a job and be on a ferry heading to Europe the same day.
Then there is going to register at the tax office.
If you do get lucky, you will need your last 28 days tacho records or an activity sttestation letter for no records for holidays or sickness and leave/being absent from work.
If stopped abroad the fines are in the thousands.Road side payment or a court deposit.
Go to Crewe truckstop and have a chat with the Irish lads that trailer swap there for Dixons.Some is Adr work.

Try Sure freight International.Offices in Bradford and Sheffield.They may cover Irish routes and Europe.
Or O Leary Trans.
Breen Trans.
Mquire International.
Mcburney ltd.
Or Virginia were looking for drivers.

Go for it. Take car and leave it thats what I used to do when I had a car. Don’t have one now, when I go on holiday they get me home to empty truck then I fly from Dublin once I’ve dropped truck at yard. My advic would be make a thing of being happy to be away for long periods.

As for Dixon not advertiseing, they do. But dont let a lack of adverts stop you approaching companies. Give O’Leary, Breen & Nolans a wide berth. As for the rest the wages are fairly similar wherever you go, not great but not awful either. Cream f the crop of bigger companies in my opinion are Dixon, Caffery, Tierney, and a few who’d names I’m struggling to recall, oh and -

VIRGINIA

switchlogic:
Go for it. Take car and leave it thats what I used to do when I had a car. Don’t have one now, when I go on holiday they get me home to empty truck then I fly from Dublin once I’ve dropped truck at yard. My advic would be make a thing of being happy to be away for long periods.

As for Dixon not advertiseing, they do. But dont let a lack of adverts stop you approaching companies. Give O’Leary, Breen & Nolans a wide berth. As for the rest the wages are fairly similar wherever you go, not great but not awful either. Cream f the crop of bigger companies in my opinion are Dixon, Caffery, Tierney, and a few who’d names I’m struggling to recall, oh and -

VIRGINIA

im ok with being away as i live on own anyway, ive put my cv into dixons,and virginia but no luck yet, spoke to sean cole when he rang me but we had a bad line so conversation was not too good, so not heard much since few weeks ago but put cv in, without going over i think they put you on backburner as you live in uk tbh

switchlogic:

VIRGINIA

What about maguires luke■■?

Tbh I thought the days of knocking on doors and immediate start were gone but I’m willing to try!

A lot of companies still dont do the whole cv thing over here.Get the cheapest ferry across booked.Jump into your car,get across,get freshened up,and call to a couple you have earmarked.Thats simply the best thing to do,in my opinion.
The biggest of the employers and more reputable are all within spitting distance of each other.Dixons,20 mins off the boat.Caffreys 20mins from there.Coles maybe an hour further north.
Cold calling will work.If nothing else you may get a small break for yourself out of it.
PM to you.

Thanks everyone! Just gotta sort out best time and ferry booked and digs!

derry morgan/morgan mclernon in the north will start you. most normal decent size companies will start you if your willing to work…bear in mind over here,then youl get a job easy enough on a paper card,youl be on uk work/trip money…the only sleep youl get will be on the ferrys,and flat out the wire for the rest of the 36hour day. if you want to work legal,then youl find its a tad harder to get a start,and itl be for dire wages. the only decent wages,is to be away for 2 weeks on uk work,or off to the continent.they dont like you getting back across the water once your out in case you want to go home. ive been over here for years,and although its getting dragged screaming and kicking into the 21st century,then its still the good old days in many ways here. very little vosa etc,and if your working in the north or south with a subby,itl just be flat out on the wire,and slow down a bit when your going through a village.very few speed cameras. theres 2 average sets for the whole of northern ireland.and 3 or 4 traffic ones.laid back with a few exceptions…i.e i got stopped a while ago near waterford,plod says,have you a disk in that tacho?..yep,do you want to see it.? nope,just so long as you have one,then itl be dead on…byebye. memories of 1980 uk trucking flood back.simple as that.why dont you just go into the services,and call the companies from the truck you see parked up? if your in eire with a uk car to live,your meant to register it within a cpl of days,but nobody will care if you dont.:slight_smile:)…happy days.

jessicas dad:

switchlogic:

VIRGINIA

What about maguires luke■■?

Oh yes that’s one, cheers

dieseldog999:
derry morgan/morgan mclernon in the north will start you. most normal decent size companies will start you if your willing to work…bear in mind over here,then youl get a job easy enough on a paper card,youl be on uk work/trip money…the only sleep youl get will be on the ferrys,and flat out the wire for the rest of the 36hour day. if you want to work legal,then youl find its a tad harder to get a start,and itl be for dire wages. the only decent wages,is to be away for 2 weeks on uk work,or off to the continent.they dont like you getting back across the water once your out in case you want to go home. ive been over here for years,and although its getting dragged screaming and kicking into the 21st century,then its still the good old days in many ways here. very little vosa etc,and if your working in the north or south with a subby,itl just be flat out on the wire,and slow down a bit when your going through a village.very few speed cameras. theres 2 average sets for the whole of northern ireland.and 3 or 4 traffic ones.laid back with a few exceptions…i.e i got stopped a while ago near waterford,plod says,have you a disk in that tacho?..yep,do you want to see it.? nope,just so long as you have one,then itl be dead on…byebye. memories of 1980 uk trucking flood back.simple as that.why dont you just go into the services,and call the companies from the truck you see parked up? if your in eire with a uk car to live,your meant to register it within a cpl of days,but nobody will care if you dont.:slight_smile:)…happy days.

Best ignore this ‘advice’

Thats not advice its slander! :smiley:

I think he may have travelled in time forward to us here from 2003

try Mcardle & Skeath 3 weeks away at a time doing pharmaceuticals all over the continent

dieseldog999:

Do you actually drive a lorry?

switchlogic:

VIRGINIA

Just another 12 years to push until my youngest is 16 and I’ll be on my way :sunglasses: . As long as there is a haulage industry left by then :unamused:

yes i actually drive trucks,and have done for 38 years…uk/europe…lived over in ireland last 12 years,and its like a breath of fresh air compared to england. what ive posted is the way it is over here as its 20 years behind unless your a major company. the south is even more laid back than the north. if you want to do english work,or continent with lots of subbies over here,then the 1st question you will mostly get asked is,when can you go out)? the wages are garbage here for most compared to uk. the major companies tend to work digicard legal,the subbys will always go for analogue as the trips just cant be done unless your on the wire most of the time…anytime you get pulled in the uk,then its always like an irish convention at bambar bridge or carlisle. if your in any doubt to reality over here,then why does angus the plod poacher turned gamekeeper of the m6 always like to target the paddys as easy meat? the general rule is…if your on northern irish plates,then your most likely running bent.if your on paddy plates,your definately running bent…thats the way its seen by the powers that be in uk…theres not much fun running at 56,hence best to keep your elbows in when the ferry traffic hits the m6 at gretna.all you need to do is be at holyhead/chester,or the 75 …(40) limit,stranraer/carlisle.sit at 56,and see the cocacola xmas queue at your back,franticlly wanting past you.its getting harder with the digicards,but theres still a dying breed happily working away . work all day in ireland,out on the dublin night ferry…do your deliveries all day… back to holyhead,or stranraer middle of the night… over on the ferry,do your drops and pickups all day… fillup in the south with fuel, and thats your trip over,except your straight back out on the night ferry to do it again. works like that for most. 3 trips 1st week,2 long trips 2nd week,. if your specifically on fridge work,then if you cant work,youl last 1 trip,then they wont have any use for you.cowboys have more fun…ive also worked for tesco/sainsburys,but couldnt hack the boredom and the jobsworths…theres jobs here totally legal with some of the major companies.,and then theres the normal jobs for the rest of us…happy days. anyone wanting to know the reality of irish based truckie life is welcome to ask… you might be holier than though if your working for a big company,but its always the paddys that pass you when your on the limiter as if your stuck in low■■?..