Irate truck drivers in unladen trucks!

What is it with drivers of empty trucks who get angry with other drivers because they have have the audacity to be in front of them on a round about? I’ve had 3 in the last 36 hours, 2 letting there feelings known by blasting the horn and 1 shouting ■■■■■■■■■ out the window whilst negotiating 2 different roundabouts with a fully freighted double decker, both with a negative camber on.
1st one no idea what firm they were from, 2nd was a fed-ex trunker who I was hoping to get in front of this morning just to spoil his day, but alas I got a flyer, and the 3rd was from the same depot I frequent on an evening so I may bump into him on Monday night!
This isn’t really classed as a rant, its a question, followed by, I really don’t carry any sympathy when this types of driver screw up big time.
I’ve been driving Class 1 for 27 years now, and this is the first time I have come across this type of attitude, there was a time when a loaded vehicle was given room and time to manouvere with respect.

I’ve just posted on the Tuffnells thread about this, i had exactly the same this week.

FE artic started his overtake on a blind bend, UPS rigid resplendent in his sewn-on hivis giving me the coffee sign and huge blast on the hooter when he came by on the dual carriageway, all this by 4.30am, what is wrong with these people.
I’m on a two way road @44t, tanker so at least i can take the bends at reasonable speed and i always do my best for progress, but you just can’t please these fools.

Juddian:
I’ve just posted on the Tuffnells thread about this, i had exactly the same this week.

FE artic started his overtake on a blind bend, UPS rigid resplendent in his sewn-on hivis giving me the coffee sign and huge blast on the hooter when he came by on the dual carriageway, all this by 4.30am, what is wrong with these people.
I’m on a two way road @44t, tanker so at least i can take the bends at reasonable speed and i always do my best for progress, but you just can’t please these fools.

Oh i’m relieved to see its not just me that gets it then, was starting to think my driving was getting bad with age.

If a loaded truck passes me half a mile before the roundabout, it gives me the hump. I’ve got the midlift up, 500 on the side, no seal on the doors. I’m blatantly empty. It’s just ignorance on the other drivers part. I’ll give them a glance, you know the one, we’re locking eyes because we both know you’re a ■■■■■ I’d never get abusive though, no point lowering yourself

OVLOV JAY:
If a loaded truck passes me half a mile before the roundabout, it gives me the hump. I’ve got the midlift up, 500 on the side, no seal on the doors. I’m blatantly empty. It’s just ignorance on the other drivers part. I’ll give them a glance, you know the one, we’re locking eyes because we both know you’re a [zb]. I’d never get abusive though, no point lowering yourself

Yes I know what you mean, but the post is about the laden truck being in front, don’t detract from the OP.
and yes that is pure ignorance as well.

The point I was making is that is the only time I get the hump. Don’t see how anyone can get abusive if they’ve been following the laden truck for a mile or more

OVLOV JAY:
The point I was making is that is the only time I get the hump. Don’t see how anyone can get abusive if they’ve been following the laden truck for a mile or more

Nor do I, but I found 3, and all within 5 minutes of reloading, so no real idea how the truck is going to handle.

I have more of a problem with drivers of unladen trucks, driving slower than a fully loaded one after exiting a roundabout. Seems to be quite a few of the paid by the hour firms in Felixstowe, where it’s an epidemic

Oh wow I’ve learned something really important today. I am supposed to take note of whether there is a padlock or a seal on vehicles ahead and then eyeball it to see what size lacky band is under the aimer in case I might hold it up at some point with my obviously inferior steed. :unamused: :unamused:

Or was it meant in jest? Trouble is you just don’t know these days. Which is why I just hang back and let them play their little games. 10 lorries almost nose to tail ahead jostling for position overtaking one another? - time to back off another 10.

cav551:
Oh wow I’ve learned something really important today. I am supposed to take note of whether there is a padlock or a seal on vehicles ahead and then eyeball it to see what size lacky band is under the aimer in case I might hold it up at some point with my obviously inferior steed. :unamused: :unamused:

+1.

WTF. I can’t say I have ever studied a truck in front to see whether it’s empty or not, sorry but I just crack on. If your going slower than me on a DC (enough to justify passing, i’m not an elephant racer) i’m going past, certainly if it’s an incline.

Maybe in future i’ll abort these overtakes if the parcel wagon in front has no seal on the back. :open_mouth:

It was not meant in jest at all. Unfortunately you need to come off the limiter and cruise control for the roundabout, is it too much to ask that you engage brain and do it a few hundred yards earlier?

I’m new to the game, so feel free to post hate on the newb. But I don’t actually understand the whole ‘I’m going to overtake you, so you can overtake me game’ on the motorway etc. I was with a friend yesterday in a milk tanker (doing the limit) a parcelforce wagon overtakes and thanks us when we let him in, then we have more power uphill so do the same and thank him for letting us in. This happens about 5 times, and each time there is a little thank you with the indicators as we let each other in…and for the sake of what? 2mph. I just couldn’t be arsed if I was driving, I’d just hang back. If I wanted to go fast id bring out my 550bhp Nissan silvia ps13.

It’s everyone’s obsession with limiters and cruise, made worse by auto boxes. When we had manuals you had to come off cruise on a hill. Now you just use the indicators and steering wheel, and so called professional drivers hide behind the excuse “it’s not me, I’m letting the lorry do its own thing”. Also there seems to be a big variation of limiters, not meaning 52/56, I mean the differences at 56. Between 54 and 57 depending on where it was calibrated. All these factors have lead to an increase in drivers overtaking at 44t 500yds before a roundabout. 7 times out of 10 the overtaken truck overtakes him, and 2 times out of 10 the man on the limiter gets stuck in lane 2 building up speed while being undertaken, and 1 in 10 the other lorry will hang back and let him go

Michael Douglas:
I’m new to the game, so feel free to post hate on the newb. But I don’t actually understand the whole ‘I’m going to overtake you, so you can overtake me game’ on the motorway etc. I was with a friend yesterday in a milk tanker (doing the limit) a parcelforce wagon overtakes and thanks us when we let him in, then we have more power uphill so do the same and thank him for letting us in. This happens about 5 times, and each time there is a little thank you with the indicators as we let each other in…and for the sake of what? 2mph. I just couldn’t be arsed if I was driving, I’d just hang back. If I wanted to go fast id bring out my 550bhp Nissan silvia ps13.

If your 44 tonnes in a gutless unit, it’s often just a case of keeping your momentum going. You see it a lot on roads like the M62 over the pennines where its rolling hills.

Drive like you would make love to a good women and make sure your there to perform again

I couldn’t give a crap if a wagon is laden or unladen, I try my very best to drive safe and well and progress as best I can according to the road, load and conditions.
If anyone has an issue screw them, I have more important things to worry about.
How long does it take for my Mrs to pick up my McDonald’s :imp:
But cancel all what I have written if it’s Friday and I am in a rush to get on the pop :laughing:

As a general rule I won’t be overtaking anything once I’ve seen the one mile marker. I hardly ever use cruise control either. But further back down or up the road should I catch up with a 900 bhp turbo intercooled megasuperdupercruiser with my unladen Gardner powered whatever, then I will be coming past IF I am closing rapidly.

And that is not a problem cav. You’re not overtaking on top of a roundabout

Michael Douglas:

Yes you have a lot to learn still if you don’t know why a loaded vehicle will be flat out and over take you before a hill!

weeto:

Michael Douglas:

Yes you have a lot to learn still if you don’t know why a loaded vehicle will be flat out and over take you before a hill!

Obviously weeto. With a Beng in mechanical engineering, I know nothing about the laws of physics.