Iraq

andy1961,

they are recruiting just got back from the main place up north and they’re getting drivers in all the time. quite a few brits turning up as well.

they way the pound is dropping it’s like getting a pay rise every month!!!

stuh:
andy1961,

they are recruiting just got back from the main place up north and they’re getting drivers in all the time. quite a few brits turning up as well.

they way the pound is dropping it’s like getting a pay rise every month!!!

I’ve been in touch with KBR a few times but i don’t even get my calls returned.
Do you have any contacts?

limeyphil you’ve got a pm hope this helps.

Personally I wouldnt go !! Ive been out for two 6 month stints (forced) and it is a dump, so many rpg attacks, mines etc its unreal, suppose I was a bit more of a target wearing desert camouflage and driving a big green lorry though !! Decent money though and I know loads of guys who have left the army, done a CP course and are loving the civvy wage out their and gettting treated 100 times better than when they were in the army. Big decision to make, lots of risks involved but big rewards to be made too. My one and only tip would be to ensure that the trucks you would be driving has air-con, 56c isnt funny in the slightest !!

jad24369:
I wouldnt have even thought about it to be honest. I like my head where it is at the moment :slight_smile:, but a couple of blokes from the terminal where i work are just supposed to have gone to iraq on a 12 month contract driving tankers of crude about. Alledgedly they are earning 90k ish and i was told for an american company. They are supposed to be in Texas training for a month. A week of which is small arms. I have no idea how true it is. The company i heard about it from is Chevron / Texaco. How true it is i don’t know which is why i started the thread on here, From what you and the other chap who left info on here said it definately isn’t worth the risk. I want to emigrate to New Zealand eventually but would like to make some decent money before i do as i know they pay isn’t great there, but the lifestyle is much better.

Someone has been telling you porkypies matey :laughing:

There is no way any US company would ever get permission to import British drivers and train them in small arms use, then ship them off to Iraq to drive a truck :laughing:

It’s hard enough judt getting allowed into the USA, let alone to train them in gun use :laughing: Also that would be $90k, hot 90 thousand quid and I wouldn’t go there as a potential target for less than 10 million a year :laughing:

Good luck to anybody that wants to head off out there!!!
Have a look at this video and see what you think!!!

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxx1Lo8fZwQ

dangerzonejobs.com are advertising for drivers with military experience but it is to work in somalia.

the youtube clip is and old 1 and has been covered on here a lot.

Horses for courses ,Stuh. Some people can do it & some people can’t . It was the young drivers that opened up TIR & then the old geezers followed in their footsteps many years later [ & made it boring ] More power to your elbow & if its a choice of driving the school bus then let the old boys do it. But you don’t make money unless you take risks.IMO
When you see the whingers turn up in Iraq you will know that the job is stuffed.

jad24369:
Thats not very nice is it? 2 Years out there from what ive heard will set you up for life. Just need any details if anyone has got any?

The chances of actually surviving two years is very remote though.

Poor and alive is better than well off and dead mate.

Pat Hasler wrote

The chances of actually surviving two years is very remote though.
Poor and alive is better than well off and dead mate.

well pat i’m on my 3rd year out here, neil46 has been out here longer. i know people at the same base i’m at who were out here from 2004.

so i would say your chances in iraq are quite good.

and there are more people coming out here all the time.

I’d rather take my chances here than sitting at home ■■■■■■■■ about the lack of work.

I am glad you are doing well, I remember Neil going out there and I’m not saying anyone who goes out there is going to die, but the chances of being killed are far greater than anywhere else except Afghanistan :smiley:

Keep doing the good work. I will stay here and read about it all :slight_smile:

Pat Hasler:
I am glad you are doing well, I remember Neil going out there and I’m not saying anyone who goes out there is going to die, but the chances of being killed are far greater than anywhere else except Afghanistan :smiley:

Keep doing the good work. I will stay here and read about it all :slight_smile:

Its queit as hell out here nowadays. I remeber being a few years back it was real bad and a couple of my mates got hurt, not too bad thankfully. At least you can earn decent wonga doing it if you have the bottle. Its better than being me and being here on peanuts serving.

If any of you iraw drivers are on Camp Adder then drop us a pm.

tip

i’m at cedar mate, just down the road.

get over to adder occasionally bringing fuel over or when i fly out for r & r.

there is a couple of english lads at adder but they are not on tn.

To All

Interesting stories but are they real lets see some proof pics would be good as they dont lie my ten cents worth is u all must be bonkers try driving through Basra with the Iranies chucking Bombs over your Truck while u dash for the Kuwait border and being paid peanuts I saw the light and am still alive .Leave this area to those who own it ,as others have said the boom days have gone but as u like good luck ,tankering crude the Turks do it the best and for real small money but its just my opinion .

Roger(rita) Haywood. EX ME Driver and Server of Queen and Country