iran by truck

i was tipping in perkins engines in peterborough this morning and saw 2 trucks from iran an actros and a mack ultraliner with stepframe tilt the unit had the big triplex wheels on very interestining motor shame i never had the camera anyway what route would they have taken and how long would it take.just curious :laughing:

Try this for size. Traditional route went through Turkey - but now, there’s an EU initiative called TRACECA - which aims to link the EU and Asia by road. Today, a sensible route ex UK goes something like this:

UK etc through to Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria. Boat from Burgas to Poti (Georgia). Drop down through Georgia into Azerbajahn. Boat from Baku to Noshahr in Iran - close to Tehran - or just head south and cross by land, which is good for Tabriz. Timings are a bit tricky - Serbian border can be a problem, but Bogies are as good as gold. Poti is a $50 town, and the Azeri border is kind of porous. The other alternative is through the FSU to the East of the Caspian - which leads to Turkmenistan and muppetry. Granted, transiting TR gives you less crossings, but Turkey and borders? You do the maths.

Just as a footnote - Iran is a cracking place - some of the best people on earth - who want to do business with the EU, and can not do enough to help. I’ve spent quite a bit of time there over the past three years, and have been utterly gobsmacked by the welcome I’ve received. It’s one of the major emerging markets for all of the European OEMs - so get used to the sight of more Iranian trucks in the EU - and not just Germany - in the future. Oh yes, and if there’s a load to go from this side and a motor waiting, feel free to PM me the keys.

When did Iran lift the ban on foreign (or western) trucks entering its territory? This was implemented directly after the Islamic Revolution of 1979 and I didn’t know it had being revoked?

Iranian Trucks have been coming as far as Belgium and Holland for more years than I have driven lorries. There were always 50 or more parked around the industrial area of Antwerp. The drivers had a problem with a visa for the UK and France.

Im fairly certain that although Iran is still possible for UK trucks, they use the alternative routes for safety and insurance reasons,

Imagine Tesco opening an Iranian RDC :stuck_out_tongue:

I also see them regularly in the Freilager in Zurich, they tend to deliver carpets to a dealer in there.

When I worked for Davies Turner in the early 70’s we use to clear quite a few Iranian trucks, first truck i ever went in was an Iranian Mack, guy gave me a lift back to the office, save the walk, remember him trying to explain to me the gears, think it was about that time that i thought i wouldn’t mind having a go at this. Marand were a regular Iranian company that used to come to England, seem to recall loads were mainly tea, trucks were mainly Macks, tho i do remember an old long nose merc non sleeper that was double manned.
More up to date there was two Iranian FH12’s coming out of Ashford about a month ago.
Not to sure about the ban being lifted, few weeks ago we loaded some pipes in Aberdeen that were going down there, but only took them as far as Kavala up the top of Greece, lifted them off and put them on Turks who took them the rest of the way.
From the few people ive been speaking to about work down there the rates now are no better, and in some cases worse than what was being paid in 1975, so i would think going the black sea route would be way to expensive, then you have got your port taxes at each end, think you would be looking at 100$ US a meter to cross the black sea,
Serbia i thought hammered UK reg trucks for transit tax, tho that may have changed, so you would be best avoiding that and going Romania.
sdj

The Black Sea route is okay if you’re Mr Betz as he runs his own (chartered) ferries from Burgas to Poti although non-Betz trucks use it as well. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want to go to Iran in anycase given the current climate with terrorism and Islam etc, I’d be affraid that the sight of my British registered truck would lead to trouble. I was speaking to a Turkish friend a while back about John Mann running to Morocco and he says that if he were English he’d never set foot in Morocco for fear of his life. I wonder if those guys do experience any trouble now?

thanks for the replys guys i’ll keep a lookout and get some pics next time :laughing:

I have been seen Iran truck in M25 and Heston MSA,
Robinhood, yes Black Sea… Mr Betz own the ferry for Varna and Burga to Poti Port (Georgia) also other Ro-ro Ferry from Bulgaria or Georgia to Austrian and Germany by Danube River.

Black Sea Ferry - take two day journey

Ro - ro Ferry from Bulgaria to Austria By Danube Rivers

Germany Passau Ro-ro Willi Betz Port

Ben :sunglasses:

Great pictures Ben, thanks. :wink: :smiley:

yeah top pics them :laughing:

Really good pictures Ben,thanks
regards derek