IPEC ?

hi all,i used to run to the ipec depot @ round spinney for sayers transport out of heathrow, used to run with a subbie called jon morton,yellow daf 2800,also recognise a few of the drivers names,jim broome , jimmy topping (orange 2500 daf) jim had a 3300 if i recall,nice bunch of lads,wonder if anyone knows there whereabouts■■? cheers. :smiley: was only a young driver then but made me feel welcome

sayerstransporthrw:
hi all,i used to run to the ipec depot @ round spinney for sayers transport out of heathrow, used to run with a subbie called jon morton,yellow daf 2800,also recognise a few of the drivers names,jim broome , jimmy topping (orange 2500 daf) jim had a 3300 if i recall,nice bunch of lads,wonder if anyone knows there whereabouts■■? cheers. :smiley: was only a young driver then but made me feel welcome

Jim Broome had 2 DAF 3300, Jimmy Topping had one running out of Thornbury (Bristol) depot and the other ran out of another depot but I can’t remember which. They were consecutive reg no’s. Jimmy Topping also had a DAF 2800, FYA 852T, if I remember but it was 30 years ago! Jimmy was best man at my wedding. Jim Broome lived in a bungalow at Cambridge, Gloucestershire. Ivor Wheeler also worked for him and did IPEC work as well as going to Italy in Jimmy’s old DAF 2500. Ivor was a big lad and I seem to remember the lorry going in for service and they asked for the step to be straightend. When it was not Jim Broome was on the phone and was told to sell the lorry. The step was not bent, the cab was and he would never be able to get a windscreen fitted if it went it was that far out of shape!

By whiplash_012 at 2008-10-25
Nicky Butterlys lorry and drag at Dun Laoghaire.

nicky butterley,wow remember that name aswell now,lol

thanks for the reply bristolron,all the memories come flooding back,had just passed my test when i met them so was green as you like so was nice to chat to them,remember jim as a gentle giant & jimmy topping about same age as me at the time maybe a little older,like i said in earlier post i hope both of them are well,did ivor wheeler bend the steering column on 1 of his trucks by leaning on it while driving■■? for some reason that has popped into my head,lol

sayerstransporthrw:
nicky butterley,wow remember that name aswell now,lol

I last saw Nick about 3 months ago at our terminal in Yonkers, NYC, his company collect out of there about 4 times a month.
We never seem to get time for a beer when he is parked there and about 6 months ago I had just eaten at a truck stop in Massachusettes and as I was going out he was going in, he asked if I could stay for a coffee but my elog was ticking away, Nick works with a couple of other former Dublin expats, they are great fun.
If you look at my facebook photos he is in one of my mobile albums.

Here you go … Nick and his truck.

hi pat,great pics,nicky butterly was more of a name really but sure we must have met,the names ive seen posted ref ipec keep coming back to me lol, remember wim remie very well and his immaculate scania 141,& another dutchman called benny?think 1 of his drivers, heard a story that nicky ran up the A74 wearing a crash helmet although that might be an urban myth!!

Thanks Pat for giving Nick my email to Nicky,he contacted me eventually!
There was also a guy called Ray came in from Northampton to Dublin.Good lads.

sayerstransporthrw:
thanks for the reply bristolron,all the memories come flooding back,had just passed my test when i met them so was green as you like so was nice to chat to them,remember jim as a gentle giant & jimmy topping about same age as me at the time maybe a little older,like i said in earlier post i hope both of them are well,did ivor wheeler bend the steering column on 1 of his trucks by leaning on it while driving■■? for some reason that has popped into my head,lol

Don’t know about Ivor bending the steering column but knowing the blokes strength it would not surprise me. Jim Broome who went under the name SJB transport moved to Bridgend (I think) following the takeover by TNT. Jimmy Topping moved back to Burnham on sea and did the trunk for Independant Express driving a LHD Leyland Roadtrain which was ex Williams F1 team. He split up with his wife which was a really great shame as he was one of the nicest blokes you could meet. Ivor Wheeler went on to work for Syms of Calne and the last time I saw him was driving a B reg F12 Globetrotter.

I can remember the bristol depot was run by a guy called Tony Hobden. Every now and again he would raid the petty cash tin, give us his company car and tell us to go to the Mumtaz indian on Gloucester Road but the car had to be back at the depot monday morning. Was another guy in the office called Alan Medhurst who transfered to TNT. Was another chap called Graham aka Grumpf who was a miserable git in the morning cos he had been on the ■■■■ all night.
Saw one of their local drivers recently who is now on for Murco out of Westerleigh

thanks bristolron,i pulled for a subbie when TNT consumed ipec & sayers,had my own unit for 3 years now MAN TGA 480 XXL,back doing airfreight out of heathrow,was great to have a wander down memory lane!!!

Basilbrush:
There was a young chap at the ICD who did night shunting, blimey he could handle those wagon & drag outfits even with a left hand drive lorry on it. I can’t remember his name now, but he used to wake us up when our trailers were ready to go. I hope he’s a member of this forum.

BB

His name wouldn’t be Damien by any chance?
I was running into Northampton 2 or 3 nights a week from Belgium between 1996 and 1999,and Damien was one of the night shunters at the time.
I then started driving Belgium - Sweden and would only do the odd trip to Northampton,but I did see Damien quite a few times on the road,he was double-manning by then.

H al,

Here an Volvo F12 unit loading at Duiven, in the Netherlands, in the early 90’s.

Best regards, Bert

i remember a dutch ipec subbie called dolf davella who had a very slick F12 Globetrotter with all the chrome etc

sayerstransporthrw:
i remember a dutch ipec subbie called dolf davella who had a very slick F12 Globetrotter with all the chrome etc

I last saw Dolf about 6 years ago in Arnhem

hi vascoingles,guess he was still pulling for TNT if spotted in arnhem?

whiplash:
Thanks Pat for giving Nick my email to Nicky,he contacted me eventually!
There was also a guy called Ray came in from Northampton to Dublin.Good lads.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Nicky is very good with computers, it takes him about an hour to type a couple of lines LOL but slowly and surely… he was over the moon when I gave him your email address but then his face dropped … “I hate ■■■■■■’ computers” was his remark.

20-MB-80 3.tif (602 KB)

sayerstransporthrw:
hi vascoingles,guess he was still pulling for TNT if spotted in arnhem?

he was out shopping actually

guess more than a TNT depot there then (apart from a bridge ,of course) :laughing: