Invincible cyclist's

Driving back from Wandsworth to Purfleet tonight in the car when a cyclist comes past me with no front light. When I caught her up I put the window down and politely told her her front light was not working, her response was “its ok I have a rear light, lost the front one”. I wonder if she will be so matter of fact when someone pulls out having not seen her. I also wonder if plod or VOSA would accept this excuse when I have a headlight out? It is no wonder so many cyclists are being killed, and I suspect a large percentage are at fault but car and especially truck drivers will always get the blame.

Cyclist getting a fine :laughing: :angry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Stop it ,before i pee myself!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

They are all nuts mate! :blush:

I wonder if you do the same when you see a car or a truck with a light out or with no lights at all? Or are you obsessed with everything cyclists do wrong like some others on here.

It is no wonder so many cyclists are being killed, and I suspect a large percentage are at fault but car and especially truck drivers will always get the blame.

Maybe that is because quite often they are at fault.Read the figures and why the drivers at at fault more than the cyclists instead of your biased opinion.

Do you have a link to the figures albion.

I would estimate its pretty 50/50 when comparing contributory factors, in reality I would say its more 60/40 where cyclists in one way or another have contributed more to their own accident by either:

a) Cycling in a manner not suitable for the road conditions
b) Having a total disreguard and/or lack of understanding for the actions of other road users
c) Treating Traffic Light and give way signals as optional
d) Lack of proper lighting or Hi viz clothing in dimly lit conditions
e) Distracted by videoing other road users for a youtube ego rub

Yes Dave there are links some of which I have posted before but you are quite right that a lot of the accidents are classesd as 50/50 simply because quite a lot of the time both parties are partly to blame or there is not enough evidence to blame one or the other.
Just annoys me how some only see others bad driving.Wish I did not see so many bad truck drivers but the fact is there are far too many these days!

sets of stats and figures can be misleading.if you asked 100 drivers who regularly drive in urban areas.
“how many times in a year have you had to take evasive action to avoid a collision with a badly ridden cycle”…those figures would paint an entirely different picture.

The number that have crept up my inside at night, with no front light, in London while I’m waiting at lights makes me shudder. Luckily I’m on the lookout for their shadow and generally spot them. However, one time, a cyclist undertook me as I was making a tight turn off the roundabout on the A1 Islington and I did not see her at first because she was in my blindspot. Think of reversing on the blind side, you cannot see down the left side of your trailer - that’s where she was. I saw her at the crucial split second, and to this day it still gives me nightmares what might have happened. What I found particularly disturbing is that she appeared to have absolutely no awareness or appreciation for what happened, or how vulnerable she had been. It is for these reasons that Boris Johnson’s initiative to come down hard on operators who fail to fix safety equipment to their lorries makes me angry. It is just as much the responsibility of the cyclist to be aware of the way lorries manoeuvre, and how a driver has many blindspots at varying times.

albion1971:
I wonder if you do the same when you see a car or a truck with a light out or with no lights at all? Or are you obsessed with everything cyclists do wrong like some others on here.

Well, in that theoretical case when there would be a motor vehicle with no front lights at all I would certainly approach the driver to inform him about the fact. But I can hardly see anyone driving a motor vehicle with no lights, while amongst cyclists it’s a common occurence.

And then imagine, I am overtaking you and I kill the cyclist coming opposite way with no front light…

I now see many on their way to work in the dark around the walkers crisps area of leicester with no lights etc and they are ■■■■ hard to see
What is more surprising is that the pavements are virtually empty and plod turn a common sense blind eye if cyclists use them

I cannot figure out why so many are so dumb

It’s because people will be people, simple as that. I never ride on the pavement because it is illegal, the police around your place may turn a blind eye, until one of them doesn’t, but they don’t all over the country. As I work nights I see dozens of vehicles every night with at least 1 headlight out, that’s apart from those determined to be the last to put them on. Trouble is at 50+ mph it’s hard to nip over and have a chat with them.

albion1971:

Perhaps he does, who knows. The difference being that a truck with one headlight out, still has another, it has side lights and marker lights, thus making it still blatantly visible to everyone and even if someone does manage to miss the other lights and collide with said truck, the driver of that truck with the blown headlight bulb isn’t anywhere near as likely to get killed as his truck is shunted, in the same way that a cyclist, totally invisible from the front is, as they get catapulted through the air and potentially die as a result. As a cyclist yourself, and someone who jumps on the defensive bandwagon at every opportunity, surely you should be pleased that a truck driver has tried saving one of your own from a potentially lethal situation in the making by what can only be described at reckless behavior on their own part.

Anyway, there have been lots of complaints on here in the past several years about car and fellow truck drivers doing silly things like driving with their front fogs on, driving with full main beam going towards oncoming traffic and having lights out. But then this is a truck drivers forum so you’d expect anything that affects a truck driver in his daily work and the experiences he has during that time to be spoken about on here.

robinhood_1984:

albion1971:

Perhaps he does, who knows. The difference being that a truck with one headlight out, still has another, it has side lights and marker lights, thus making it still blatantly visible to everyone and even if someone does manage to miss the other lights and collide with said truck, the driver of that truck with the blown headlight bulb isn’t anywhere near as likely to get killed as his truck is shunted, in the same way that a cyclist, totally invisible from the front is, as they get catapulted through the air and potentially die as a result. As a cyclist yourself, and someone who jumps on the defensive bandwagon at every opportunity, surely you should be pleased that a truck driver has tried saving one of your own from a potentially lethal situation in the making by what can only be described at reckless behavior on their own part.

Anyway, there have been lots of complaints on here in the past several years about car and fellow truck drivers doing silly things like driving with their front fogs on, driving with full main beam going towards oncoming traffic and having lights out. But then this is a truck drivers forum so you’d expect anything that affects a truck driver in his daily work and the experiences he has during that time to be spoken about on here.

+1

He is just stuck on the same record and anything that relates to driving he/she or whatever it is will come on here and say the same thing

ezydriver:
The number that have crept up my inside at night, with no front light, in London while I’m waiting at lights makes me shudder. Luckily I’m on the lookout for their shadow and generally spot them. However, one time, a cyclist undertook me as I was making a tight turn off the roundabout on the A1 Islington and I did not see her at first because she was in my blindspot. Think of reversing on the blind side, you cannot see down the left side of your trailer - that’s where she was. I saw her at the crucial split second, and to this day it still gives me nightmares what might have happened. What I found particularly disturbing is that she appeared to have absolutely no awareness or appreciation for what happened, or how vulnerable she had been. It is for these reasons that Boris Johnson’s initiative to come down hard on operators who fail to fix safety equipment to their lorries makes me angry. It is just as much the responsibility of the cyclist to be aware of the way lorries manoeuvre, and how a driver has many blindspots at varying times.

|Saw these and thought of you

truckingtopics.co.uk/trucksidelights.html

Juxt need to get Boris to tax every cycle in London to pay for them.

Double post sorry

albion1971:

It is no wonder so many cyclists are being killed, and I suspect a large percentage are at fault but car and especially truck drivers will always get the blame.

Maybe that is because quite often they are at fault.Read the figures and why the drivers at at fault more than the cyclists instead of your biased opinion.

I take it you are possibly a cyclist yourself? I used to be to , actually represented the country in 1986 in safe cycling in Finland. Just baffles me why some cyclists like this one risk their lives and ruin the reputation of others. Only takes a few to make us all think they are the same ,as has happened with truck drivers. The minority ruin it for the majority.

Police in my hometown is just looking after this moron (look at top right corner, next to the bus):

Compared to this, riding with no lights seems to be mild annoyance :slight_smile:

albion1971:

obviously a cyclist

Just you tube Silly cyclists all the proof is there on how mental they are.

Cyclists need to understand that as road users, they also have a responsibly to other road users, ensuring they are seen and their intentions made clear. It seems to me that some cyclists (not all), want the right to cycle anywhere, with none of the responsibilities.

Check out the footage for the Waterbeach train crossing near miss with a train and a bike.