Invest 2

Thanks for all the generous, amusing and informed replies to my OP

I started with Stobs as I have worked for them and while i don’t like them I have seen their operations and recognize them as progressive profit chasers who are not scared to invest. I haven’t done the sums but they will exploit their market dominance and return to their previous high. I half hoped to get replies from drivers saying," you must invest in ■■■ plc. They are doing so well that the directors car park is full of new Bentleys"

I was looking for something more speculative than bonds or building societies as I suspect that we are due for a strong upturn in the economy. I can see property recovering but whether people move or stay put and improve, builders merchants like TP (seem well managed) should benefit. Premium bonds are nice but their return, overall, is a low rate of interest. Paying a professional fund manager, ie buying unit trusts, seems good value if you pick the right fund. Im sure banks will continue to recover and flourish. I dislike gold as it is of little benefit to anyone except miners, I will, however have a look at Scotgold. I agree the return on annuities is a scandal but this is due to our increased longevity and the alternative is unappealing.

There is a pallet dealers yard near me. The hight of his stacks must be an economic barometer.
R

Euro:
I was looking for something more speculative than bonds or building societies as I suspect that we are due for a strong upturn in the economy. I can see property recovering but whether people move or stay put and improve, builders merchants like TP (seem well managed) should benefit. Paying a professional fund manager, ie buying unit trusts, seems good value if you pick the right fund. Im sure banks will continue to recover and flourish.

Without some massive changes in the country’s economic policy to get us out of the EU and the global free market economy and rebuilding our industries etc.I wouldn’t bet on it.

The fact is the trade deficit figures and resulting national debt figures and the fall in incomes in real terms,caused by a combination of exporting jobs in the form of imports,and importing cheap labour in the form of immigration,and weak unions,leading to a fall in spending power and therefore demand and therefore flatlining ( when it’s not plunging ) economic growth figures,all indicate an economy that’s collapsing.Only the most naive mugs could believe that anyone could invest and/or build there way out of that problem.Although no surprise that many of the big shareholders will try to talk up the market so that they can get as high a price as possible for their effectively bankrupt stock as they all rush for the exit. :unamused:

Suggest you check out what’s happening in America.Just like here there’s no shortage of housing it’s all about the lack of decent wages and jobs to keep up the mortgage or the rent payments which is the real problem.IE loads of houses that no one can afford to pay for because the Chinese are doing all the work and getting richer while the developed western economies get ever poorer.

The only way is down now. :frowning:

bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … Poor_Kids/