Inverters

Hey all, I’m looking for some advice on what inverter to get. I’m doing nights out around 4 times a week and like to watch the odd dvd and go on the internet on my laptop. I’m currently using a 12v charger to charge the laptop when it needs it but I would rather charge it using it’s proper charger. Can anyone tell me what size inverter would be best for me to get, I know some inverters can plug into the 12v or 24v sockets in the cab and then other are wired to the batteries. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons for the different types. And if anyone can recommend an inverter to get which will handle my laptop charger easily then that would be great. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

300 watt should do you for your lappy, runs mine ok. 24 volt is better because the 12 volt truck sockets are powered by built in 24-12 volt dropper.
The bigger the inverter the more power it draws so cable is thicker, for me anything over 600 watt should be hard wired.

I am no sparky but learned leasons the hard way. :slight_smile:

150w is fine for laptop. A laptop only needs about 60, a home PC only draws about 120.

On a different note, it may be worth getting an external battery pack, charge it from the inverter while on the move and it can power your laptop for about 2 hours without drawing from the vehicle battery itself. Can also be in handy to charge phone when you’ve had to give your keys in.