Inverters and microwaves

Does anyone run a 240v microwave from a 24v inverter?

I was looking at a combination oven / grill / microwave. Oven rated at 1200w and microwave at 900w. Where would it be best to site this in a MAN tgx, medium roof (XL) ?

Having looked at the inverters I believe that it would need a 2000w inverter and it would be wired directly into the batteries them secured behind the passenger seat.

Pure sine wave inverters are recommended on a google search, due to the way the electric is produced.

What sort of inverter do you have, is it pure or modified sine and how does that work with a microwave?

On a separate note what sort of size fridge would you recommend for tramping away during the week?

Sorry for all the questions, been tramping now for roughly 6 months and feel it is time to kit out living space with things to make life easier (and things that can be taken back out of truck when the time comes for that) never know, I may even get a telly and games console instead of using up the iPads data allowance :open_mouth:

I have a 2000w pure sine inverter and a 700w microwave runs it no problem.
It should run a 900w microwave without any problems people I work with have the same inverter and run all sorts off of it ie toasters sandwich makers and even hovers without problems.

beetee07:
I have a 2000w pure sine inverter and a 700w microwave runs it no problem.
It should run a 900w microwave without any problems people I work with have the same inverter and run all sorts off of it ie toasters sandwich makers and even hovers without problems.

Thanks for the reply, was just trying to justify to myself the difference in cost between the pure and modified sine if the microwave ran fine from either.

Tongue in cheek note, hovering sounds good as people on here mention about things falling off the MAN’s :grimacing:

I’ve got a 2kw modified sine wave inverter, it runs a microwave, kettle and toaster fine (only one at a time though) although it doesn’t like vacuum cleaners, it will fire a vacuum cleaner up once and run it for as long as needs be but if I turn it off, and then on again it will trip the cut-out. I did read somewhere that electric motors draw up to ten times the stated wattage on start-up.

Either will run a microwave, toaster ect with no probs but if you intend to run a laptop or a tv they prefer pure sine something to do with interference I believe

chester1:
Either will run a microwave, toaster ect with no probs but if you intend to run a laptop or a tv they prefer pure sine something to do with interference I believe

There’s no need to run a tv off a inverter, most LCD tvs run off 12v and most of the cheap ones have a 240v to 12v converter on the mains lead, just cut off the converter and stick a ■■■ lighter plug onto the lead. Just remember to not plug it into the 24v plug by mistake! :blush:

I bought a modified sine inverter and as soon as I plugged the microwave into it it tripped the internal fuses so I changed to a pure sine and no problems.