Inverter

I have reserved a 350w inverter (half price) from Argos, but since reserveing it I read the reviews and some stated that it didnt have the lighter socket adaptor as illustrated, I have a different unit every day so cant really connect to battery :confused:

So is there an easy solution to resolve this or should I just not bother with it ?

go to Maplin and get a lighter plug and make a new lead up

It might not work in many trucks through the lighter socket anyway. If it is a 24V model it could draw more than 14.5 amps, 12V version more than 29 amps and most lighter sockets are rated 5 or 10 amps. Is there a specific reason you want 350 watts? It’s way more than you would need for a TV or laptop, in fact most things you will want to run in a truck.

i got one today not much good for trucks. At full power it draws 30 amps needs realy to go direct to 12v battery will prob melt the wires to ur cig lighter if u put a plug on it. still a good buy tho for camping or days out

Googled this from Maplins - anyone with experience see a problem using it for my lappie or pratnav?
maplin.co.uk/12v-150w-can-in … cket-97788

The Sarge:
Googled this from Maplins - anyone with experience see a problem using it for my lappie or pratnav?

As it is 12 volts you may get problems using it in sockets rated at 5 or 10 amps amps as 150 watts/12 volts = 12.5 amps.

Coffeeholic:

The Sarge:

As it is 12 volts you may get problems using it in sockets rated at 5 or 10 amps amps as 150 watts/12 volts = 12.5 amps.

I understand every single word in your reply, but I still don’t get it :blush: Could you recommend what I should be looking for, pretty please? :slight_smile:

The Sarge:

Coffeeholic:

The Sarge:

I understand every single word in your reply, but I still don’t get it :blush: Could you recommend what I should be looking for, pretty please? :slight_smile:

If you just want it for a laptop and sat nav then 150 watts is more than enough. Also go for a 24 volt one rather than a 12 volt one as it will draw less current, 150 watts/24 volts = 6.25 amps so more chance of it working in different vehicles. Also go for a Soft Start one if possible as that limits the current on start up and again gives it more chance of working in different vehicles.

How do I know whether I’ve got a 12v or 24v socket in the cab? There are two sockets in the Volvos in our yard, one is marked a 12v and the other is (I assume) a cigarette lighter. Sorry to be dense, but the last firm I drove for had droppers fitted directly to the electrics, so I never bothered to find out how they work :confused:

The Sarge:
How do I know whether I’ve got a 12v or 24v socket in the cab? There are two sockets in the Volvos in our yard, one is marked a 12v and the other is (I assume) a cigarette lighter. Sorry to be dense, but the last firm I drove for had droppers fitted directly to the electrics, so I never bothered to find out how they work :confused:

The left hand socket is 12v and the right is 24v.
I have an spare 150w 12v inverter if you want one, works fine in a 12v socket in a volvo

Right then here goes, the inverter is 12v so I have bought a 24v to 12v converter, I plugged to converter into a 24v socket then connected the inverter and plugged the laptop into it, ok to start with then the inverter started flicking from red light to green light constantly and the power lights on the laptop where going on and off too, it was even worse when running a DVD, I switched it off after a short time as it was obviously not working as it should, so why would a 350watt inverter be struggling ( and failing ) to run a laptop â– â–  :question:

Darb:
Right then here goes, the inverter is 12v so I have bought a 24v to 12v converter, I plugged to converter into a 24v socket then connected the inverter and plugged the laptop into it, ok to start with then the inverter started flicking from red light to green light constantly and the power lights on the laptop where going on and off too, it was even worse when running a DVD, I switched it off after a short time as it was obviously not working as it should, so why would a 350watt inverter be struggling ( and failing ) to run a laptop â– â–  :question:

Because, as mentioned above, it is trying to draw more current than the socket in the truck, and the wiring, can handle. The inverter isn’t the problem here, you are. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: You have bought an inverter that is far too powerful for your needs and also it being 12 volts makes the situation worse. Adding a dropper into the equation just compounds the problem. When the DVD spins up the laptop will draw more which is why you are seeing the behaviour you are and confirms it is a current draw problem.

Take it back and get your money back, or buy a big dropper, at least 30 amps but more would be better, and wire it in directly to the batteries or through a dedicated feed from the fuse box.

350 watts dived by 12 volts = a current of over 29 amps. Most sockets in the truck will be rated at between 5 and 10 amps. The dropper, unless you have bought a big one will be unlikely to handle 29 amps either.

Look at the label on the power brick for you laptop, that will tell you what watts it is and will likely be somewhere between 65 - 90 watts. A 150 watt inverter will be more than enough to run a laptop, I’ve only ever used 150 watt inverters to run a variety of laptops for years. Better to get a 24 volt model as the draw will be lees, 150 watts / 24 volts = 6.25 amps while 150 watts / 12 volts = 12.5 amps. If possible also get a soft start model as this limits the amount of current drawn at start up and means the inverter is more likely to work in different vehicles

Cheers Coffee :smiley:

PS I like the way you help and insult all in one post ha ha :laughing:

Darb:
Cheers Coffee :smiley:

Hope it helps and you get it sorted.

Darb:
PS I like the way you help and insult all in one post ha ha :laughing:

It’s a skill honed over many years. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

hi guys
been thinking of using a cheap microwave in the truck. Can someone please tell me (in idiot terms)

how to install an anderson socket
and what would i need to do it properly
would you recommend DIY or pay the garage to do it (if garage rough cost please)

many thanks
:smiley: :question: :smiley: