Inverter

Can I plug a 3000w inverter into the 24v socket in a Volvo FH to power a microwave?

Dan20:
Can I plug a 3000w inverter into the 24v socket in a Volvo FH to power a microwave?

If you do, give the fire station a bell and tell them to be on stand by. :smiley:
Wire it direct to battery.
I ain’t an expert by any stretch,.I’m just passing on what I was told when I was setting mine up.

Dan20:

SCHMOKING

Dan20:

Yes … but it will be the 1st and last time you do it
Do yourself a favour and buy an Anderson lead so you can plug it into the batteries, a 2m+ length will allow you to feed it out the passenger door or route it under the cab
atleadsandlooms.co.uk/products/ … mega-fuse/

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W) divided by the voltage V in volts (V):

So, current is 3,000w divided by 24v equals 125amps.
About 25sq.mm cross section cable?

Get a professional to fit it.

Franglais:
The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W) divided by the voltage V in volts (V):

Except it isn’t. It’s more than that due to the losses in the inverter and you can see some of those losses when you touch it - it’s warm so that’s some of the energy it consumes being turned to heat instead of 240VAC by internal resistance. So if it’s say 80% efficient then it’s 125% or 1.25x the output figure or 156A it’ll draw from the truck.

The problem you’ll find is the cheap inverters you see on Ebay and sold in truck stops never tell you their efficiency. The decent ones do and it’ll typically be about 85% or greater in which case you multiply the wattage of the output by 1.18 for 85% and that’s what the wattage the inverter will draw.

Dupe

Conor:

Franglais:

Except it isn’t. It’s more than that due to the losses in the inverter and you can see some of those losses when you touch it - it’s warm so that’s some of the energy it consumes being turned to heat instead of 240VAC by internal resistance. So if it’s say 80% efficient then it’s 125% or 1.25x the output figure or 156A it’ll draw from the truck.

Except it isn`t necessarily that either.
Is it a 3,0000w peak or RMS inverter?