Inverter question

I just installed my 2000w inverter into my truck today, i wired a anderson plug to the end of the inverter and i connected it to the batterys using an anderson lead.

Anyway it works fine, tried my microwave and works fine with the engine running,

Anyway i was chatting to one of the fitters today about it and his recation to me installing it was " your a [zb]in idiot your gonna [zb] the batteries up i wouldn’t use it if i was you"

So this has made me really parinoid now, is there any truth to this. has anyone else here wired thiers the same way and had any problems?

Lies mate, everything is connected to the battery is basically the same way.

2000w is allot of power and i’d imagine using all 2000w will burn your altinator out first a microwave use’s 600w+ and the invertor connected directly to the batterys fused not through the fuse box will only draw 600w 700w etc but the current needed the higher up you go is what kills the batterys and the alternator i’ll tell you now i have a 1000w invertor and it runs anything and there is no problems with batterys at all, just think of the hour glass the battery is big full of current, then been drawn through a cable then back out into the appliance using it but the alternator will be trying to put back in what you take out as it is connected to the battery terminals to, so aslong as you keep the microwave on its own then unplug it when you finished you’ll have no problems. Remeber its 2000w max not 2000w minimum so it will only draw what poer it needs. I’ve tried to explain it but simply only use your microwave on its own better for a 750w than the new 1000w ones for the sake of a minute… when its finished plug whatever in to the inverter.

Danny27404:
2000w is allot of power and i’d imagine using all 2000w will burn your altinator out first a microwave use’s 600w+ and the invertor connected directly to the batterys fused not through the fuse box will only draw 600w 700w etc but the current needed the higher up you go is what kills the batterys and the alternator i’ll tell you now i have a 1000w invertor and it runs anything and there is no problems with batterys at all, just think of the hour glass the battery is big full of current, then been drawn through a cable then back out into the appliance using it but the alternator will be trying to put back in what you take out as it is connected to the battery terminals to, so aslong as you keep the microwave on its own then unplug it when you finished you’ll have no problems. Remeber its 2000w max not 2000w minimum so it will only draw what poer it needs. I’ve tried to explain it but simply only use your microwave on its own better for a 750w than the new 1000w ones for the sake of a minute… when its finished plug whatever in to the inverter.

cheers danny yea the inverter is 2000w max 1000w continous.

could i plug my tv and dvd and freeview in to it without running the engine??

no probs with tv/dvd/freeview while egine is off, i think the point trying to be made is dont try and use 2000w of power continously, in other words just cos your inverter is rated at 2000w it doesnt mean your batterys will cope with it

chaversdad:
no probs with tv/dvd/freeview while egine is off, i think the point trying to be made is dont try and use 2000w of power continously, in other words just cos your inverter is rated at 2000w it doesnt mean your batterys will cope with it

yea cheers for that chaversdad i know it wnt pull 2000w it proberly want even pull 1000w continous,

If you keep running the battery down using the inverter then you will eventually ■■■■ the battery.

Your inverter might be fitted with a low batt alarm use it till it beeps but to be safe after a hour i start her up because there is nothing worse than waking up in the morning and nothing starts and your on the a69 on the top of a hill looking at sheep lol (Never happend to me honest boss) But if your goining to be be using it for a long time every day start the engine then use it because the batterys eventually will get fed up of been drained then re charged.

Sorry to hijack this thread but whats the minimum spec inverter i would need to run a microwave? Spotted a 1000watt one on ebay but then it said “not for use with microwaves”

Pretty much evry long haul trucker over here has a 2000 watt inverter, and they have no problems with the batteries etc.
Ive been told that you can thaw a frozen truck engine using a 2000w inverter and the block heater over here . (For those that didnt know, in the colder countries, the cars have a 110v heater fitted to the engine, that prevents the engine from freezing solid when switched off. Most parking spaces have a 110v outlet nearby to plug your car into.)

On another note. Trucks here are all 12volt. not 24v. not sure why, but there must be some reason for it.

You also have 4 batteries running parralel here instead of 2 in series. That means you have more storage capacity in the batteries here than in the UK.

But there are comments about messing the alternator. So all these 200 watt spotlights don’t? If you have 10 spots then you have a 2000 watt drain right there, and the drain is instantly on then instantly off when you use high or low beam, then you have the headlights and all the other electricals running. The alternator is rated in amps and will charge at a certain current. I believe most truck ones are 100 or 110 amp which is 12000 watts here or 24000 there.

They will kill batteries on a 24 volt system if you use them too long or leave it switched on because they are pushing 240 volts there as well, and because you only have half the batteries that we have here. But it will be fine as long as you are sensible…

youngwithaclass1:
could i plug my tv and dvd and freeview in to it without running the engine??

yes, no problem. I used to run a 600 watt inverter on a 19inch flat screen tv and a PS3, sometimes for 5 or 6 hrs at a time, never had a problem, thou it is safer to run the engine for half hr now and again (every hr and a half-ish, up the revs 2 or 300 on cruise control so it isnt on tickover speed thou)

youngwithaclass1:
I just installed my 2000w inverter into my truck today, i wired a anderson plug to the end of the inverter and i connected it to the batterys using an anderson lead.

Anyway it works fine, tried my microwave and works fine with the engine running,

Anyway i was chatting to one of the fitters today about it and his recation to me installing it was " your a [zb]in idiot your gonna [zb] the batteries up i wouldn’t use it if i was you"

So this has made me really parinoid now, is there any truth to this. has anyone else here wired thiers the same way and had any problems?

Using the microwave for the odd 5 or 10 minutes is not going to do any harm. is it a 12 or 24v?

I allways ran my microwave with engine just above tickover, if you do it without, you may find the interior lights arent so bright wen microwave running.