Inverter/Laptop problem

I’ve got a problem with my 24v 300w Skytronic inverter. When I’m using my laptop through it, it starts beeping after a couple of mins, cuts out, then cuts back in again. If I run the engine while using it, it will go for up to 25-30 mins without beeping. Now I’ve tried both the inverter and laptop in another motor and have the same problem. But on the other hand my inverter works perfect in a mate’s motor with his laptop. Any idea’s would be appreciated cos it’s driving me round the bend :imp:

Cheers

Jase

maybe your laptop charger draws more power than your mates, try setting your laptop not to charge when you are using it and see if that works.
Does the inverter get hot when you are using it? I had this problem with my Toshiba as it was power hungry, but my HP and Dell work fine

I go along with what jimti said. What happens if your laptop is at 100% charge when you use the inverter? Often what happens with some laptop inverter combinations the inverter will power the laptop when it doesn’t need to charge the battery but cut out when it does. Toshiba and Sony laptops can be bad for this with some inverters. Jimboy124 lent me his Sony laptop for a week while he was on holiday and my Skytronic 24v 150 watt inverter which happily works with my Dell and HP laptops would only work with his Sony if it was fully charged to begin with. I switched to using an older 12v inverter I have and it was happy to charge and run the Sony.

Cheers for the replies fella’s. I’ll give that a try jimti although I did try it with the battery removed on Friday and got the same problem. On the inverter it says 230v @50hz. The power pack on laptop says 50/60hz, but then again so does my mates that works fine. Maybe it could be time for a new laptop :frowning:

you could also try taking the battery out and just using the power from the inverter to power the lappy. then there would be no question of it trying to charge battery.

I tried that on Friday Gez mate but it was the same. I’m gonna take the wifes laptop 2mrrw and try that. that way I can eliminate the inverter and the motor.

kirky7:
I tried that on Friday Gez mate but it was the same. I’m gonna take the wifes laptop 2mrrw and try that. that way I can eliminate the inverter and the motor.

it would only prove your inverter is powerful enough to work your wifes laptop, it would be a better test to try another inverter in your truck with your laptop, first the same power, and if you still have a problem then try with a higher power inverter

May I suggest you double check that you’re getting 24v from the socket you plug your inverter into?
It’s possible that it’s been ‘re-wired’ to a 12v supply, either by a previous driver, or possibly by the dealer, for some reason.

jimti:

kirky7:

it would only prove your inverter is powerful enough to work your wifes laptop, it would be a better test to try another inverter in your truck with your laptop, first the same power, and if you still have a problem then try with a higher power inverter

Works fine with another 300w inverter. Same make just newer model.

Simon:
May I suggest you double check that you’re getting 24v from the socket you plug your inverter into?
It’s possible that it’s been ‘re-wired’ to a 12v supply, either by a previous driver, or possibly by the dealer, for some reason.

Was 1 of first things me and a mate tried Simon. Very frustrating. Am just gonna have to get another inverter me thinks :frowning:

this does sound like your inverter is not working properly, and as you say, the only real solution is to replace it.
I personally would go for a slightly more powerful one so that is not overworked and will last longer.
Maplins seem to offer the best deals generally, look at their website and compare prices

Am thinking its just the inverter/my laptop combination thats the problem, cos it works other laptops in my truck