Inverter help for laptop

Thinking about bringing my laptop with me on nights out but since its a Mac it uses a special power connector so I’ll be needing an inverter for it. It only uses about 80w so I don’t need a massive one but I don’t have a clue about where to start.

Get yourself a 300watt 24v one…Not that expensive and will do the job…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Is it possible to get a 12v one for the same use, then I could use it either at work or in the car. ? Any examples ?

Another inverter question, what size would I need for a 240v househould kettle, the small travel type.
I’m sick of the 24v ones not lasting.
Don’t anybody suggest a one you use on a stove as I like a tea on the move…yeh I know, criminal, hang me now. :blush:

btw sorry o/p for hi jacking your thread. :wink:

Making heat requires a lot of energy,so boiling a kettle from the ■■■ lighter probably wont work.I reckon on boiling water being a matter of croc clips onto the battery direct,not to be done on the move.

kev909_2000:
Is it possible to get a 12v one for the same use, then I could use it either at work or in the car. ? Any examples ?

Yeah you can get 12v ones also

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Travel kettle about 700 watt 1000watt inverter for laptop 300 watt halfords or maplin

For laptops, its recommended you get a pure sine inverter rather than modified sine wave. More expensive. but gets rid of some of the spikes and generally a smoother A/C output which electronics like.

As for size of inverter, all the advice I’ve read has said use an inverter with double the watt level of whatever you’re plugging in. So for a 500 watt device ideally you want a 1000 watt inverter although you can prob get away with lower…it just makes sure its not getting close to max capacity.

Finally, check the rating of the inverter is the “continuous” rating not the “peak” wattage. The peak is a very short blast of power such as turning on a kettle but cant usually run at that for more than a second without frying.

300w is the biggest I seen for a cig lighter and not too sure mpst would work at that without blowing the fuse.

malcolmgbell:
Travel kettle about 700 watt 1000watt inverter for laptop 300 watt halfords or maplin

Cheers mate, an inverter of that size eould be quite dear I imagine, so I may stick with the 24v ones and return them before warranty is up. :wink:
But thanks anyway.

I don’t need a monster one, the 300W one should do fine. It’s got be 24v though, my cool box is using the 12v plug.

RobRoy - looks like you can buy 1000W one for about 150 quid although can’t vouch for the brand or quality, although it was recommended elsewhere on TNUK, but they have a 2000W surge / peak power output which is quite good. (Sunshine Solar - 1000W inverter). That should work for kettles although it’s modified sine wave so not brilliant for laptops, Xbox’s and such.

Edit: Actually found a 1500W pure sinewave one for £174 on Ebay made by the same people which means it’ll be suitable for anything you ever wanted to throw at it (including most microwaves).

Radar - you don’t need a monster one, but you really need one just for the heck of it. :slight_smile: How about the 3000W one from this Sunshine inverter - pure sine wave inverter page…although they do 300W ones too on the same page if the boss isn’t paying for it.