Introduction

Hello, im new to this page and just wanted to introduce myself.

Im currently beginning hgv training as a career change. Im regularly getting 90%+ with my theory practices and i have my medicals booked within the next 10 days.

Any hints and tips for a career in hgv driving would be great! Thanks.

A good read of the sticky at the top of the page to start with

Depends where you are in the country as for some help sorry but my crystal ball smashed a few years ago :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to the forum!

Don’t worry too much about the theory test as it sounds like you’re doing well there. Hazard perception is a little odd, but would recommend the official DVD for that as it gives you an idea when to click. Would recommend booking your theory and hazard perception as soon as you can as there’s usually a 3 - 4 week delay.

If you’re a post 1997 licence holder then you might want to look at the CPC module 2 also as that has a similar delay (can usually be done same day). Won’t be able to book any of these until your entitlement appears on the licence, but worth knowing.

Thanks for the help so far. Im from Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire. Im going through the hgv training centre as they had good reviews from previous customers.

My license was attained post 1997 so will be doing the initial cpc training which was mentioned to me by my training supplier.

Im doing my C+E, was told you can do both class 2 and class 1 back to back but ive heard elsewhere you have to send your licence away between doing them?

Sent you a pm.

[/Thanks for the help so far. Im from Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire. Im going through the hgv training centre as they had good reviews from previous customers.

My license was attained post 1997 so will be doing the initial cpc training which was mentioned to me by my training supplier.

Im doing my C+E, was told you can do both class 2 and class 1 back to back but ive heard elsewhere you have to send your licence away between doing them?quote]

Seems you’ve chosen a broker. Not the best idea.

Because you licence pre-dates 1997 you have the choice of initial cpc or periodic. Few choose initial as it takes ages for DVLA to work out you’re able to do it. It’s a relatively new rule and the computer system cant deal with it. So periodic is your best route. Especially as some of this can be gained from your practical driver training provided your training is suitably approved.

You have been told incorrectly (sorry, but I’m not surprised) about back to back C and CE. You are correct in your thoughts that your licence has to be re-issued before this can be done. This is a common broker method of extracting your hard earned.

Consider your options very carefully. You’re about to get sucked in.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Forgot to mention that you should call them and ask to visit the training centre. This will alert you straight away to the situation as a) they probably wont be able to tell you where it is - in other words they’ll still be searching for the cheapest option to send you to - and b) they wont want to admit that they haven’t got any vehicles or trainers. They will find the cheapest possible trainer (who is bound to be excellent of course) and you will eventually end up there. But they’ll sit on your cash for as long as they can until you raise hell to get a course out of them.

I’m not referring specifically to the broker in question; this is the normal practice that I have witnessed over years from many brokers. We frequently end up clearing up the mess. But it’s legal, just, so it continues.

Oh buggar…
I was lead to believe from all the testiments etc that they would be a good place to go and train.

I have to admit im really concerned now. What should I do?

If you haven’t paid them any money, simply ignore their endless phone calls (expect about 6 a day). If you’ve paid them by card on the phone, write to them saying you wish to cancel the contract under the Distance Selling Regulations 2000.

Send this recorded delivery. They will put up a fight. If you used a credit card, inform your card issuer.

There’s a few folks on here who have 1st hand experience and may be able to help you.

You should also read the pm I sent you!

Thanks, it was done via a finance company so because its less than 7 days in surely i can cancel it under consumer rights?

Anywhere local to me you recommend that also do it on a finance kind of deal to help make it affordable for me?

I believe you should be able to cancel the finance deal. Do it in writing, recorded delivery.

We regularly accept interest free credit cards in payment for training. Even if you end up paying the interest on a credit card, you’d save much more than that using your Trucknet discount with us. This gives you 10% off everything we do AND full driver cpc completely free of charge with a full driving course. So you save upwards of £400.

And did I mention … good training as well!

Please could you email me directly pete?
Much easier than using this forum on my phone. It’s racingmad50@hotmail.com if you don’t mind?

Sorry to hear you got sucked in by a broker but please take Peter advice but I would also recommend that you visit at least 2 providers before parting with any money as this could save you a lot in the future

I’ve been stung by a broker a few yrs ago, he basically committed fraud and the first I knew about it was when I was trying to chase them up over who was going to be my trainer a cop answered the phone lol…deal direct mate that’s all I can say…