Introduction to Drivers' Hours + Tachos

Just completed planning for this new course (as in the title). It’s a half day course with the sole purpose of preparing new drivers for pre-employment assessments and beyond. It doesn’t go into every tiny detail but it’s plenty to get anyone started. Cost is £36 incl VAT. It is NOT a cpc course and will not generate any cpc hours. (There is another, thorough, course that does that).

Hopefully this will remove some of the mystery and gives folks a start without making schoolboy errors.

1st date is Thursday 28th July.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Not a bad idea Peter but I can’t see how it can simulate a pre work assessment.
Let’s not forget that driving trucks covers a multitude of industries so i think you need to elaborate on course detail.

IMO a candidate should drive like they are on test on a assessment drive after all they only want to see the standard of driving.

If a job opportunity is offered most companies will have a induction course.

These comments are based on my experience of 20+ years of driving in road transport.

Paul

Paul, you’ve missed the point. It’s nothing to do with driving the truck. It’s to do with being able to answer questions frequently asked and being able to tackle the job with a degree of confidence. Look for yourself at the questions that are posted on the forum, rightly so, and it’s clear that many new drivers are ill-equipped to deal with drivers’ hours and tachos in their simplest form.

(Based on my 40+ years in the transport training industry.)

Peter Smythe:
Paul, you’ve missed the point. It’s nothing to do with driving the truck. It’s to do with being able to answer questions frequently asked and being able to tackle the job with a degree of confidence. Look for yourself at the questions that are posted on the forum, rightly so, and it’s clear that many new drivers are ill-equipped to deal with drivers’ hours and tachos in their simplest form.

(Based on my 40+ years in the transport training industry.)

Ok I see where your coming from now Peter

But surely the questions are dependant on which industry of transport they are going into.

Most drivers have minimal knowledge of drivers hours from the theory test as well.

Paul

Good idea, much needed based on some of the questions frequently asked on here.

Can’t see why people would want to pay for info on drivers hours when they can get it from here and other sources for free!

Paul

Because for most of us who aren’t academic, it’s a lot better to have stuff explained and have questions answered. Looking at the regular questions being asked on here and elsewhere, it’s clear that the tiny bit that may or may not be learned for the theory test just isn’t enough.

I’m prepared to offer the course and see what happens. Who knows, in a month’s time it may have been scrapped. But I doubt it.

I passed my theory yesterday but even now would be nervous if pushed for answers over hours at an assessment.
My plan was to say I am new and have a bit of paper with me and say I would get used to it.
Personally I would happily pay for a morning where it is explained in detail. In the scheme of all costs learning it is not a lot. Also something to say at interview when asked for understanding of hours etc

Having limped around quite a lot of agencies and done a fair few assessments, I can say that they can vary quite a bit. Some are short and easy, while others can be long and quite varied. Some questions are even just bloody stupid! :open_mouth:
So while I think it’s important to have a reasonable grasp, which may be helped by a short course, you’re never going to cover everything that you might get asked. What you need to remember is that you’re not expected to get 100%, and everyone makes mistakes. A newbie has a bit more licence to make these mistakes, so i really wouldn’t stress about it, just ensure you have put some effort into learning it, either through a course or off your own back…

Best of luck fellow limpers! :smiley:

kcrussell25:
I passed my theory yesterday but even now would be nervous if pushed for answers over hours at an assessment.
My plan was to say I am new and have a bit of paper with me and say I would get used to it.
Personally I would happily pay for a morning where it is explained in detail. In the scheme of all costs learning it is not a lot. Also something to say at interview when asked for understanding of hours etc

No offence intended mate but that’s not a very good plan.

A much better plan would be to be prepared by studying the (EU) rules on drivers’ hours and working time (Simplified guidance), after that you can learn the domestic regulations which are pretty basic to be honest.

I’m not trying to talk you out of doing a course, but to remember even the basics you’re still going to need to study a bit so you might as well get used to the idea :slight_smile:

Feel free to start a thread and ask any questions about anything you’re not sure about, the regulations can seem a bit daunting to a new driver but you do get used to them and there’s plenty of people here who will help you :wink:

The theory test only covers a very small amount of drivers hours rules

There is no test for newbies on drivers hours rules but there could be if module 2 was changed to one :bulb:

when i was in a “just passed” situation i would be interested in the course in which i could physically operate the digital and analogue tachos. As said above, the theory can be read online, however seeing the actual thing in front of you is a good thing, especially when you can ask questions straight away

That’s a good point Priest makes - I don’t suppose this course covers actually using a tacho even if it’s just the more common type? That would be extremely useful as the simulator is only so much use. That’s assuming it’s even possible to somehow operate a tacho outside a truck.

Other thing is, I don’t suppose anyone’s willing to come in and teach this on a Saturday? We can take days off, but it’s a lot easier for many to come in on a weekend, although of course not so great for the person having to get out of bed and actually teach the course…but you know you love it. :slight_smile:

We’ve got plenty of physical tachos in addition to simulators. That’s part of the object of the course.

No-one’s ruled out Saturdays and I expect this will happen if demand suggests it.

tachograph:

kcrussell25:

No offence intended mate but that’s not a very good plan.

A much better plan would be to be prepared by studying the (EU) rules on drivers’ hours and working time (Simplified guidance), after that you can learn the domestic regulations which are pretty basic to be honest.

I’m not trying to talk you out of doing a course, but to remember even the basics you’re still going to need to study a bit so you might as well get used to the idea :slight_smile:

Feel free to start a thread and ask any questions about anything you’re not sure about, the regulations can seem a bit daunting to a new driver but you do get used to them and there’s plenty of people here who will help you :wink:

Thanks tacograph.

I have looked at sites about it and watched you tube videos but whilst not meaning to sound like an idiot I tend to learn better by doing.

I will have a look at the link you have posted though.

Thanks

Just an idea Pete why not increase the price and include the actual Tachograph card. It would feel like a more all inclusive offering.

Perhaps even invite local employers along to present their businesses to your customers. Most will be at that stage where a job is next on the list.

Just a thought

Hi Pete,
I would be extremely interested in this course. As a newly passed class 2 driver (only yesterday) my biggest concern is not driving the truck or tight spots I m fine with all that been trained in arctics for a few years now with a friend. But I have literally no clue about the first thing regarding use of the tacho all I know is you put your card in slot 1 and that is it the last thing I want is to turn upto a job and look an idiot by asking how to use the tacho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The course was designed with you in mind. All you’ve got to do is to book your place!

That’s great how do I book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call the office 01623 620062 between 7.30 and 1800 Monday - Friday.