Introduction and recommendation

Good afternoon all, I’m new to this forum and still a wannabe drive. After years working in a stressful office environment I finally had enough. Recently turned 50 and had to take stock of my life decided to pursue a career in a life long love of trucks.

I have my medical booked and completed the D2 so now study time till I pass all the Theory tests.

I am planning to complete both Class 2 and 1 back to back. Can anyone please recommend a very good LGV Training School in Teesside?

Many thanks for any advice and guidance in advance.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Have you read all the info contained within the link in my signature below :question:

Reading that could save you lots of money :exclamation:

Hope you are not paying more than about £50 for a D4 medical :question:

ROG:
Have you read all the info contained within the link in my signature below :question:

Reading that could save you lots of money :exclamation:

Hope you are not paying more than about £50 for a D4 medical :question:

Many thanks for your advice, I booked a medical nearby for only £50.00

FuzzButt:
Many thanks for your advice, I booked a medical nearby for only £50.00

Good start :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have considered a residential course :question:

ROG:

ROG, might be a Newby question to follow but how do I go aboutdoing a residential course?

FuzzButt:

ROG:

ROG, might be a Newby question to follow but how do I go aboutdoing a residential course?

There are very few about but the sponsor of this forum does do one with free accommodation

ROG:

FuzzButt:

ROG:

There are very few about but the sponsor of this forum does do one with free accommodation

Thank you for mentioning that, I will be willing to travel if it means that I will receive excellent training. A centre close by, said they can do a 2 on 1 training course for 5 days at 6 hrs a day. I don’t mind if the training is 6 hrs long as long as its quality.

2 on 1 Avoid!! 1 to 1 is much better, best advice is to book a couple of assesment drives with different schools shouldnt cost you more than about £20 and they will give you an idea how much training you need.

WHY AVOID 2 TO 1 :question:
It is double the learning time for the same money :exclamation:

Try Tockwith Training just off the A59 near York (about 15 minutes drive from J47 of the A1). It’s about just over an hour’s drive from Teesside, but in my opinion, well worth it. All-Volvo fleet (one of their C+E training vehicles is an FH500 :smiley:), absolutely spotless trucks (a real credit to the company) and great instructors I had Rob as mine when I did my C+E with them back in November 2018, so if you were to train with them, choose him when booking because he was fantastic when he was training me (extremely patient and showed no aggression at all). Plus, all their courses are on a 1-to-1 basis (i.e on a one instructor to one learner basis).

If you want a trainer closer to home, you could try:

Teesside LGV Training: Norman Terrace in South Bank. It’s the first turn off on Old Station Road after you come off the A66 roundabout.

Teesside Transport Training (TTT, or sometimes called “Triple T”): In David Fox’s yard on Bolckow Road in Grangetown (well visible from the A66).

Regional Training Partners (RTP): Belasis Business Park in Billingham.

Also, it’s great to hear from a fellow Teessider! :grimacing:

extremely patient and showed no aggression at all

What a shame when the above cant be taken for granted. The hard facts are that the huge majority of LGV “instructors” are no more than drivers with varying amounts of training for instruction. Folks automatically assume that an LGV instructor is trained, tested, qualified and registered in the same way as a car instructor. Not so. Anyone with a licence for 3 years can call themselves an “instructor”. And, sadly, they do.

There are two registers for LGV instructors and, to appear on either of them, the instructor has gone through a rigorous testing regime. One is NRI and the other is NVDIR.

There are some perfectly good instructors out there who, for whatever reason, aren’t on either register. That’s ok but how does Jue Public find out who is who?

I would suggest checking the register before parting with your hard earned. Instructors on both registers will also be able to produce an ID badge.

For the record, all my instructors are on the NVDIR register. I believe that Tockwith instructors may well be on the NRI register.

Going back to the original quote, it makes me shudder when I see comments like this which infer that the opposite is the norm (even though it might well be).

As well as checking the registers, folks should only book having visited the trainer. In my book, the only other sensible option is to book on rock - solid recommendation. The OP has this in the shape of Tockwith. And, of course, I’m still here not charging a premium for residential courses which can run over the weekend, during the week, or whatever suits the candidate. All on a 1:1 basis and using a very modern fleet.

Good luck all,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I can’t comment on training places near Teeside as I’m based in Edinburgh but I have recently had 2 to 1 training last week & passed Class 2 on Friday. 2 to 1 training worked for me as I felt I was able to pick up tips from the other learner while he was driving. I think if I’d been a lot better than the other guy I might’ve got bored but on the whole I think he was better than me, lol! I still passed 1st time though so I’d recommend 2 to 1.

I’d also say definitely visit the training place before you book to check you feel comfortable there. I visited CTTS in Bathgate & the guys seemed down to earth & the offices & vehicles seemed clean & well maintained. I also did my Module 4 there the week before.

Good luck for your training & theories

JenS :smiley:

Garbo2018:
Try Tockwith Training just off the A59 near York (about 15 minutes drive from J47 of the A1). It’s about just over an hour’s drive from Teesside, but in my opinion, well worth it. All-Volvo fleet (one of their C+E training vehicles is an FH500 :smiley:), absolutely spotless trucks (a real credit to the company) and great instructors I had Rob as mine when I did my C+E with them back in November 2018, so if you were to train with them, choose him when booking because he was fantastic when he was training me (extremely patient and showed no aggression at all). Plus, all their courses are on a 1-to-1 basis (i.e on a one instructor to one learner basis).

If you want a trainer closer to home, you could try:

Teesside LGV Training: Norman Terrace in South Bank. It’s the first turn off on Old Station Road after you come off the A66 roundabout.

Teesside Transport Training (TTT, or sometimes called “Triple T”): In David Fox’s yard on Bolckow Road in Grangetown (well visible from the A66).

Regional Training Partners (RTP): Belasis Business Park in Billingham.

Also, it’s great to hear from a fellow Teessider! :grimacing:

Many thanks Garbo, great advice. Never know we might run into each other in the near future. [emoji106] I will most definitely be looking for a job soon as I am qualified.

I know from previous posts not to ask who will be the best to work for, so all I know is anyone might be better than my current employer. I don’t shy away from work and absolutely love a challenge, what I can’t stand is unreasonable people treating a person like crap. Hard work fair pay. Can’t stand p/takers. Otherwise I am a loyal person.

Thanks again.

JenS:
I can’t comment on training places near Teeside as I’m based in Edinburgh but I have recently had 2 to 1 training last week & passed Class 2 on Friday. 2 to 1 training worked for me as I felt I was able to pick up tips from the other learner while he was driving. I think if I’d been a lot better than the other guy I might’ve got bored but on the whole I think he was better than me, lol! I still passed 1st time though so I’d recommend 2 to 1.

I’d also say definitely visit the training place before you book to check you feel comfortable there. I visited CTTS in Bathgate & the guys seemed down to earth & the offices & vehicles seemed clean & well maintained. I also did my Module 4 there the week before.

Good luck for your training & theories

JenS :smiley:

Thank you JenS, I had tons of recommendations and so far visited one local training provider, allthoug the people were very friendly the office did not look organised. I mean it was a mess.

Working in a very busy trade and office environment I know first hand how important it is to be organised. I have a bit ocd when it comes to being tidy and organised. So for me it is a [emoji626][emoji626][emoji626][emoji626][emoji732]

Many thanks for your help