Introduction and a few answers sought

Hello to all. A bit about me and my driving background. I’ve just (well last year) left the Army and was lucky enough to have passed my HGV 2 back in 1990. I’ve driven Bedfords/TMs/DAFs and a few other civilian trucks in the UK and quite a few places overseas (hostile and friendly). In the 90’s I used to do a lot of multi drop work for agencies whilst on long periods of leave as I hate sitting at home.

Always liked driving and the work and lifestyle appeal to me now that I am free again. Since leaving the Army I’ve been working in Security in the middle east, but have gotten tied of that and now want to be home based in Wiltshire with my family. I have no issues being away for a few nights a week on long distance work as its only a few days a week and I’m quite used to that.

I’ve already sorted a digi card out and have just completed my ADR licence tanks and packages with all classes apart from 1 & 7. Just got a couple of weeks before my licence comes. I’ve also sorted 28 hrs of DCPC and have 1 day to do so I get to the full 35 hrs. Just an old habit as I like to get all sorted before jumping into a job.

I have Cat C already with the C+E restriction 102 (wagon & drag). Couple of questions I have and was wondering if anyone could take the time to advise me;

1. Would it be better to do a bit of agency work first off to get the experience (civilian wise) or approach companies direct?
  2. I live close to the M4 between Swindon and Bristol so no issues getting to either place and, was wondering if the driver market is good? I’ve seen plenty of ad’s online for agencies, but take those with a pinch of salt. Interested as permanent is where I want to end up soon.
  3. Is there any good C+E schools close to me that have a vacancy starting 21 October for the training and test?
  4. I’ve seen a few agencies put that you must have 2 yrs civvy experience on their ad’s. Well I did do multi drop during leave in the 90’s probably when you add all up on and off for 8 years but only for 3 or 4 weeks per year. Since then all my experience has been worldwide in the army. Will this hold me back? I know I can go on companies house and look for insolvent driving agencies and put I worked for them, but with my background of over 25 years army it’s a easy way to check, plus lies normally come back to bite you in the …

Thanks for the taking the time and if I can think of more things to ask for advice on I’ll be back.

For your test try WTTL ( I think!) in Devizes or Swindon truck school. They are all pretty good.

If I was you contact someone like the COOP at either Avonmouth or Andover ( Norbert dentressangle website) or possible Icelands at Swindon, either direct or via ADR agency. These guys take new drivers so you shouldn’t have any problems.

Another company to try for more varied work is SW transport in Swindon.

To be honest in another few weeks just about any agency will take you for the Christmas period but beware it does drop off work wise in Jan / feb but I have found in the past that supermarket work tends to stay fairly steady if you keep your nose clean!

Good luck!

Reading your post again I get the impression you are junc 17 M4 area? If so keep a eye on Fork Rent in Hullavington. They do plant nation wide and if you have low loader exp from the forces then they should be interested in you as a driver!
Also another plant / skip / waste firm on the A420 from Chippenham towards Bristol who’s name has escaped me right now, but if you drive the road you won’t miss the yard. Yellow/ grey trucks.

Mark22_2:
Reading your post again I get the impression you are junc 17 M4 area? If so keep a eye on Fork Rent in Hullavington. They do plant nation wide and if you have low loader exp from the forces then they should be interested in you as a driver!
Also another plant / skip / waste firm on the A420 from Chippenham towards Bristol who’s name has escaped me right now, but if you drive the road you won’t miss the yard. Yellow/ grey trucks.

Many thanks for your input and all is appreciated. Yes close to the junction and live not far from the golf course. Served many moons ago at Hullavington but not heard of the company you mentioned. Will definitely look into them.

I’ve spotted a C+E course and will be going for that over the next 10 days, hopefully by then my ADR licence will have arrived and I’ll be raring to go.

Have also made a note of Norbert in Avonmouth as they look like a good company to work for and have also been vetted by the MoD recruitment company and allowed to advertise on the forces network.

Once again, cheers matey.

Some firms to try in the Bristol area are;
Wrings.
I J Mcgill.
David Hathaway.
Massey Wilcox Avonmouth and Chilcompton.

Dsv Avonmouth.
Arla foods Frome.
Baileys employment services Melksham.
Skills Direct Frome.
Tuffnels Westbury.
Gregorys are further away at North Tawton/Cullumpton.
Framptons transport services ltd at Shepton Mallet are after Lgv 2&1 drivers.
Phone 01749 333 400 for an application form from the human resources dept from Lizzie Todd.

toby1234abc:
Some firms to try in the Bristol area are;
Wrings.
I J Mcgill.
David Hathaway.
Massey Wilcox Avonmouth and Chilcompton.

Dsv Avonmouth.
Arla foods Frome.
Baileys employment services Melksham.
Skills Direct Frome.
Tuffnels Westbury.
Gregorys are further away at North Tawton/Cullumpton.
Framptons transport services ltd at Shepton Mallet are after Lgv 2&1 drivers.
Phone 01749 333 400 for an application form from the human resources dept from Lizzie Todd.

Many thanks for your time. Some names that I was unaware of and will certainly look into them once I’ve upgraded my licence to C+E.

If you can think of anymore please let me know. Doing a search using google comes back with agency upon agency.

Richard Tovey transport Bristol.
Co op Avonmouth new depot.

Give 24/7staffing a shout. Office in chippingham and Yate nr Bristol they have a good amount of C work and also W&D work. A d they take you on PAYE where most want you self employed.

I worked for Yate branch their a good bunch…

Mark22_2:

M J Church

Also Green’s recycling on the A420 near Chippenham, Norman Webb in Chippenham and Hills recycling in Calne