Interview

So i been working hard in the background on trying to sort out my class 2 license, and a firm i approached have invited me to an interview even though i have no class 2 license or current cpc.

On the website it said they do offer some training if no license and to email for information so i was very surprised to get a reply and an invite to an interview.

Any tips or advice please?

reagrds
Eilef

Go for the interview with a list of written questions/bullet points

Oh crap, interviews! I’m changing career at 52 after 17+ years with the same company, I’d forgotten I’d have to do interviews after I get my C2 :open_mouth:
I could give you some tips from the perspective of an interviewer in my current career (but to be honest nothing you wouldn’t find online just by googling interview tips & tricks and probably not as well written :laughing: )
As for being interviewed in this trade I’m in the same boat as you (or will be soon) so I’m looking forward to seeing the replies hopefully to find out:
What would be some good basic questions to ask?
What would be red flags to avoid the company that someone new to the industry wouldn’t necessarily spot?

Hi boomerang trucker I was in the same boat as this about 5 months ago . I had passed theory and hazard perception but not booked practical training . Got offered interview for job class 2 for a builders merchant /yard work till passed . Just be yourself they obviously like what they see on your cv . My only reccomendation apart from the obvious questions of hours wages etc would be if they fund your test is there a clause if you do decide to leave about paying it back or having to stay there for a certain amount of time.

Mkernow:
Hi boomerang trucker I was in the same boat as this about 5 months ago . I had passed theory and hazard perception but not booked practical training . Got offered interview for job class 2 for a builders merchant /yard work till passed . Just be yourself they obviously like what they see on your cv . My only reccomendation apart from the obvious questions of hours wages etc would be if they fund your test is there a clause if you do decide to leave about paying it back or having to stay there for a certain amount of time.

Problem is they havent had my CV :laughing:

I just sent a random email asking if they have any training opportunities, got an email back with a simple form of name address and asking if i have a license sent that back and asked to come for interview :astonished:

The problem is i dont know enough about the trade to know what they are offering will be worth it or even what to ask really.

Andy gd:
Oh crap, interviews! I’m changing career at 52 after 17+ years with the same company, I’d forgotten I’d have to do interviews after I get my C2 :open_mouth:
I could give you some tips from the perspective of an interviewer in my current career (but to be honest nothing you wouldn’t find online just by googling interview tips & tricks and probably not as well written :laughing: )
As for being interviewed in this trade I’m in the same boat as you (or will be soon) so I’m looking forward to seeing the replies hopefully to find out:
What would be some good basic questions to ask?
What would be red flags to avoid the company that someone new to the industry wouldn’t necessarily spot?

I havent been to an interview for over 10 years… Last employed job, been self employed last 5 years so will be a little rusty.

In the past i have always found that finding out about the company is a worth while effort, that research helps you stand out above other candidates as you have taken the time and shown an interest in the business.

good luck with you interview

Still need todo this all myself but looking at bits and pieces I have found on here and online and just experience with work, being self employed I think gives you a very good skillset, you are a businesses customer, you deal with your customers and you are the man in the middle so you know all sides

You know that being nice and building a good relationship when collecting, having reference numbers, asking where to go, not parking like a dingus makes things go so much more smoothly

You know how to speak to your customers and represent yourself, and the same there with on collections

So going in being honest, you don’t know much about the driving side but are ready todo what you need to learn but being able to show them that you aint going to be making your bosses phone ring saying x just turned up and did… Don’t send him back and that you have the marbles to maybe phone up and ask a customer where they are if struggling to find them rather than just rock up back to the yard and saying didn’t deliver to whoever… That’s making the bosses phone ring again

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Well a 3 hour interview today…

Asked to do 3 test papers, i must of passed them all they were very impressed with my drivers hour law knowledge, the secret was my first job out of school was analysing tachos for a private firm. :laughing:

Went out for a drive in a flat bed van and passed that.

So i have been offered a van drivers job, with view of going straight to 7.5t as soon as i have my cpc card.

Then in 12 months i should be in class 2 which they will fund, i just pay back a bit each week, they even said they would pay me the money back for my theory and hazard perception tests i have booked.

Does this seem realistic and a good offer, money aside i wont be taking a drop for long as i plan to do cpc in next few weeks.

Sounds like a good offer to me, and unless it’s a company with 100 reviews on line saying horrific to work for it, a good way to get foot in the door

SquireT:
Sounds like a good offer to me, and unless it’s a company with 100 reviews on line saying horrific to work for it, a good way to get foot in the door

Thanks Squire,

There are 2 bad reviews, and to be honest i took them with a pinch of salt. The transport manager was open from the start saying its long hours and we do work you to the limit but we stay legal. So when the reviews are saying its long hours well im not being funny what do you expect from a logistics company.

Im seriously considering it, im just worried as its all new to me and i will be out my comfort zone for a while.