Interview with the AA

Hi All

Been a while since I last posted.

I have been in a training role for a few years now, and decided I have had enough, and want to go back onto the wagons .

I have gained an interview with the AA as a LGV Class 1 Recovery Patrol Person, the selection process is based around a selection process, including fault finding, driving assessment interview etc. also battery fault finding ?.

I am not really mechanically minded .

Ps looking at the selection criteria, the role I have gone for is a recovery patrol and does not look as if I may have to do all the technical tests■■?

Any ideas or has anyone been on a AA recruitment day advice would be much appreciated .

Kind Regards

Ricky

When I subbed to the AA they didn’t want ‘relay’ drivers touching the cars other than to get them on the trucks. When I applied and was interviewed for an AA employed position it was exactly the same.
Don’t mess with the cars.

I worked for them before and you didn’t need any mechanical knowledge whatsoever. That is the patrols job. Recovery drivers just recover. Don’t even think of doing any repairs to a broken down car cos if it goes wrong, you most probably will be out the door. Same goes with even suggsting what might be wrong with their car. Don’t do it.

Ive been to RAC recruitment interviews which I guess are the same.

Firstly,as you are ‘customer facing’ (yep,I know) turn up smart,clean with a shirt & tie on.Don’t underestimate the first impression side of this job.

Bullsh*t maybe for a dirty all weather job but, honestly,it will count in your favour at the interview.

Show a positive, ‘can do’ attitude (yep,I Know…again) & that really is all you will need.

But,on a more serious point,you need to be able to get on/deal/be immune to other people’s ■■■■■■■■ on a regular basis to make a go of this job,plus,if you have to work long shifts,make sure your missus is fully ok with it!.

Best of luck with it.

Used to be a cracking job when I did it, late 90’s/early 00’s.

4 on 4 off, regularly worked 2 of the 4 off as OT. Good money.

Then it all got ■■■■■■ up…moved us on to either 6 on 3 off or mon to fri. Lost ■■■■■■■■■ in OT, nearly £6k a yr in most cases.

Introduced ‘utilisation’ monitoring…the amount of time you were on a job…great if you were kept local with lots of jobs…one long relay up north with no return job would knacker your figures, 2 or 3 of them in a week and your figures were screwed for the month.

Might have changed again now though.

Walk in and say " Hello my names Ricky and I have a problem. They admire honesty does the AA

Thanks All

For the advice, also enjoyed the last post, I like a bit of wit. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: