Interview tomorrow (today)

Hooray!!! I have landed an interview today at 2 o’clock :smiley: It’s with Fergusons Transport in Corpach near Fort William. They’re one of the biggest outfits here in the west of Scotland and do everything from forestry timber haulage, flatbeds, and curtain-siders to heavy-haulage and tankers full of salmon, so there will hopefully be the opportunity to try different things. Variety is the spice of life. Wee bit of nerves setting in now as it’s been eight years since I had a job interview. If anyone has any handy tips they’d be much appreciated. I’m really excited as hopefully it will mean I can hand in my notice and do one last trip at sea. Fingers crossed.

congratulations! all the best with it :slight_smile:

Thanks Baz

Best of luck pal-let us know how you get on.

Will do Beaver. Thanks mate

You are most welcome. Ive heard,(don’t know if its true or not),that if you cut the arse out of your pants and wear a dogs collar around your neck with a small bottle of lube dangling from it,like a sort of pendant,that your job prospects improve significantly.

If you employ this technique,be sure to obtain some footage of the interview.

Hmmm. Wise words indeed. Maybe I’ll try that. If the TM is into an ■■■ St Bernards I’ll be well in :laughing:

Good luck fella hope it goes well for you :smiley:

Thanks Dan

Good luck for today mate, hope it goes well for ya.

Thanks mate. Fingers crossed.

Poor wages

Most are poor wages but if it gets you on the ladder and you can afford the low wage as such then worth it.

Place I’m at doesn’t pay top but its experience I’m building that’s priceless to me.

Then I can look for something else and up the ladder one rung at a time !

Best of luck hope it went well as you’ll have had the interview by now !

Well folks, that was a fantastic interview.
The TM, Colin, is a really nice guy and was dead positive about getting me started, pending favourable references from my present employers. Obviously as I am still wet behind the ears regarding HGV driving, they will start me off on a training programme. Initially I will be driving a tug, shunting trailers of round timber from the dock in Corpach to the sawmill across the road. This will be great as it will give me plenty of experience loading trailers, securing loads, coupling/uncoupling, manoeuvring in tight spaces and, most of all, reversing! I’ll be sheeting loads, chaining and strapping, learning proper load distribution etc, etc. Then they will send me out on runs with other drivers and hopefully before too long I’ll get my own set of keys. I am now grinning like a Cheshire cat and leaping around like a kid in a sweet shop :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
This is going to be a long month working my notice! There are definitely jobs out there and companies willing to train up us noobs. Thanks for all the good advice on Trucknet. Good luck to all those still on the hunt. Keep knocking on doors and you will get there.

Mrmack65:
Poor wages

Every silver lining has a cloud :grimacing:

Excellent to see some proper on-job training on offer. All the best with it - and well done.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Excellent to see some proper on-job training on offer. All the best with it - and well done.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yes I agree Peter, this should be made compulsory so all haulage companies that set a new starter on should have a training programme.

Maybe hard to implement as a legal requirement though.

Paul :smiley:

Well done Rich. Told you the pants would work.

Nice one!

Good for you Rich.
Sounds a good number,especially the shunting trailers on the docks,reminds me of how I started out. :wink: