Interview/driving assesment

Got an interview /assesment drive coming up i was told the company wont get in touch with my employer unless i get the job. great
My thought is if i don’t take the job or don’t even get the job the company that i work for will know i’ve drove another vehicle on my day i booked off when i download my digi card is this the case or is there a way round this as our company don’t like us having another job so that would mean i will have to tell them i was at an interview

i shouldn think ul b drivin too long pal on your interview if i was u just do the interview say nothin unless they pull u on it

fizza:
Got an interview /assesment drive coming up i was told the company wont get in touch with my employer unless i get the job. great
My thought is if i don’t take the job or don’t even get the job the company that i work for will know i’ve drove another vehicle on my day i booked off when i download my digi card is this the case or is there a way round this as our company don’t like us having another job so that would mean i will have to tell them i was at an interview

If the assessment is in a vehicle that’s fitted with a digital tachograph then there’s no way round it, your employer will be able to see that you’ve driven on your day off I’m afraid.

Good luck with the interview :wink:

This is an invasion of personal privacy and a solution should be found to this problem. Maybe a company card could be used to carry out an assessment with a change in the law.

44 Tonne Ton:
This is an invasion of personal privacy and a solution should be found to this problem. Maybe a company card could be used to carry out an assessment with a change in the law.

kind of like a universal card that can b used for jobs such as takin units for service n drivin assesments what a good idea 44 tonne :smiley: :smiley:

44 Tonne Ton:

As much as I don’t like it either, you should remember that legally you’re supposed to tell your employer about any other work you do so they can monitor both your working time and your driving time.

It ■■■■■ but in order for the employer to be able to carry out their legal responsibilities they have to know when you’re working and driving.

I agree that the situation is a bad one, a person should be free to try to better his/her working situation without the worry of reprisals and without anyone being able to stand in their way, but we have to work with what we’ve got and it isn’t about to change I’m afraid.

Having said that I do understand you indignation at such a disgraceful situation, once again we seem to have been handed a stick with which to beat ourselves :unamused:

just tell them ffs. they cant sack you for going for an interview/assesment. whers your balls man.

The assessment is not paid i trust? If that is the case then you should only be out for an hour at most with any usual assessment, therefore if they do pull you for it, just say you were doing a friend a favour and moving his truck to another depot for him. Point out it was unpaid work and therefore won’t affect any working time rules that imply. However, be careful if they are assuming you are on rest for that day as they may put you in on another day which affects your weekly rest.

Lots to think about, I personally if asked, would tell the truth, a man who isn’t looking to see what the market has to offer, is obviously too comftable in his role, which could be a worry for some employers. It shows you are keen to accept change and would also make them think, because maybe they won’t want to lose you and make you an offer to stay.

You never know, but keep quiet unless they ask is my advice.

Why not explain the situation to the assessor and do a print out before and after the drive, that way you have proof of what you have done, you boss won’t find out and you have shown the assessor you know how to operate a digital tacho. :wink:

Can you not explain to the assessor your digi card is at dvla as it defunctioned and here’s my ref number(ring dvla report it lost to get ref then ring up after assessment and say you’ve found it) then you do a print out and no ones knows :confused:

OllieNotts:
Can you not explain to the assessor your digi card is at dvla as it defunctioned and here’s my ref number(ring dvla report it lost to get ref then ring up after assessment and say you’ve found it) then you do a print out and no ones knows :confused:

Bad idea, lot of places won’t let you behind the wheel without your licence and digicard.

Just take the risk mate, get on with it and if your company pulls you about it, just be honest, they’re gonna find out sooner or later.

But, make sure you stay legal, ie if it’s on a Saturday, don’t work the saturday after.

I’d just tell the boss if and when he asks then, could even tell him that you did your mate a favour and drove him home when he ran out of hours and would of been weekended an hour from home if you hadn’t fetched him and his boss ok’d it. They might not even notice to be honest.

If you are not being paid for the assessment just use your card and at the end of the drive do a print out, might pay you to take a roll of chart paper, and make a note on the back “not for hire or reward” get the assessor to confirm/sign and off you jolly well go. It’s not just your employer who may ask so might VOSA or the police if you are stopped in the following days/weeks.

If you do get asked by your employer show them the print out and then see if they ask any more or just suggest it is none of their business what you do in your own time if it does not impact on your ability to meet the terms of your employment contract.

Wiretwister:
If you are not being paid for the assessment just use your card and at the end of the drive do a print out, might pay you to take a roll of chart paper, and make a note on the back “not for hire or reward” get the assessor to confirm/sign and off you jolly well go

The fact that the vehicle is not being used for hire or reward makes no difference to the drivers need to comply with the EU regulations, the driving time cannot be regarded as rest and will count towards his weekly/fortnightly driving time.

The fact that he will most likely be driving a vehicle that’s sometimes used for the carriage of goods brings the vehicle in-scope of EU regulations and therefore the driver is also in-scope of EU regulations whilst driving the vehicle.

Also there’s nothing in the regulations that says you have to be paid in order to come in-cope of the regulations.

I could be wrong about this but I don’t think I am :wink:

tachograph:

Wiretwister:
If you are not being paid for the assessment just use your card and at the end of the drive do a print out, might pay you to take a roll of chart paper, and make a note on the back “not for hire or reward” get the assessor to confirm/sign and off you jolly well go

The fact that the vehicle is not being used for hire or reward makes no difference to the drivers need to comply with the EU regulations, the driving time cannot be regarded as rest and will count towards his weekly/fortnightly driving time.

The fact that he will most likely be driving a vehicle that’s sometimes used for the carriage of goods brings the vehicle in-scope of EU regulations and therefore the driver is also in-scope of EU regulations whilst driving the vehicle.

Also there’s nothing in the regulations that says you have to be paid in order to come in-cope of the regulations.

I could be wrong about this but I don’t think I am :wink:

2 examples.
1 - You rent a vehicle to move your own home. You will not be paying yourself and there is no commercial gain to you, as the hirer of the vehicle, moving your own property.

2 - Your hobby is restoring vintage military vehicles. On a week end you take your pride and joy, on a low loader to show it at a location away from where it is usually parked. You don’t get paid for showing your vehicle to other like minded enthusiasts, it is your leisure activity of choice.

In both of these instances I understand that you would have to record the vehicle use, by virtue of your profession, but that use does not count towards your “working” or “driving” regulation hours. Of course my understanding may be subject to revision. :wink:

Wiretwister:
2 examples.
1 - You rent a vehicle to move your own home. You will not be paying yourself and there is no commercial gain to you, as the hirer of the vehicle, moving your own property.

As long as the vehicle is not over 7.5 tonne your fine and the carriage of your own goods can be regarded as private use, you will therefore be exempt from EU regulations.

If the vehicle is over 7.5 tonne you come in-scope of EU regulations and are subject to all of the driving/break/rest limitations regardless of who the goods belong to or whether or not you’re being paid to move them.

There’s no longer any such thing as private use for the carriage of goods in vehicles over 7.5 tonne :wink:

Wiretwister:
2 - Your hobby is restoring vintage military vehicles. On a week end you take your pride and joy, on a low loader to show it at a location away from where it is usually parked. You don’t get paid for showing your vehicle to other like minded enthusiasts, it is your leisure activity of choice.

You would be better off driving the vintage vehicle to the show if possible as it would not be used for the carriage of goods it does not come in-scope of the regulations.

Move it on a low loader and I’m reasonably sure you will come in-scope of the EU regulations and all the limitations that implies.

For hire and reward may be a consideration of an operators license but for the tachograph regulations it’s the carriage of goods that’s important.
If the vehicle carries goods it’s in-scope if it never caries goods it’s not in-scope of EU regulations.

There are of course exceptions to this, LGV trainers for instance sometimes use their vehicles for the carriage of goods when they’re not training, the training falls outside of the EU regulations and no tachograph use is needed, this is because there is an exemption written into the EU regulations specifically for driver training for a test.

had a interview on monday which started with a driving assesment, drive was using a digi card and took all of 20 minutes as for my current employer knowing well didnt have that worry as i finished with them the friday before… :slight_smile:

fizza:

I went for an interview and assessment in March of this year and i was in the same situation with my digi card, so i explained the situation to the assessor and he said no worries dont put your card in we can do a print out before and after and no one would be any the wiser, couldn’t knock him for that.