Interview attire.

Definitely have never seen anyone go for a driving job interview/chat in a suit! Sure Adonis over here it’s just you walk into the company’s office, ask is there any jobs going, ask about pay, what you’ll be driving and then they ask you when can you go out on the boat? Lol

Unless it was some fancy company it’s about as informal as it gets in NI/Ireland!

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

My recent interview for current job, been here 2.5 months now, suit and tie.
Was offered job over the phone on the way home.
On my first day it was mentioned that my attire for the interview went a long way to convincing them I was the right person for the job.
Presentation in a customer facing role is important.
I like to think I would have got the job if I’d turned up dressed smart/casual…
The fact it was mentioned as a positive though, means I did the right thing.

Dirty high vis, dirty tank top, jean shorts, old pair of steel toes with no laces just some duct tape wrapped round them and a 5 year old aldi bag with all your gear.
If your wanna go the distance get a cheapo Bluetooth ear piece. Also if your skinny grow a ponytail and if your fat grow a massive beard.

adam277:
Dirty high vis, dirty tank top, jean shorts, old pair of steel toes with no laces just some duct tape wrapped round them and a 5 year old aldi bag with all your gear.
If your wanna go the distance get a cheapo Bluetooth ear piece. Also if your skinny grow a ponytail and if your fat grow a massive beard.

ROFLPMSL…dont forget to put your feet up on the desk and then belch out loud… :grimacing:

When it comes to dress sense I am your man, for an informal interview I would normally wear a white ruffle front ■■■■ and bow tie. Smoking jacket and monocle always looks smart but doesn’t scream overdressed. Posh firms will expect to see you in full country shooting attire completed by the wearing of a deer stalker hat. Hope this helps and bloody good luck.

AndrewG:

adam277:

ROFLPMSL…dont forget to put your feet up on the desk and then belch out loud… :grimacing:

Egg stains. Got to have egg stains.

AndrewG:

adam277:

While your at it make it a point to ■■■■ yourself while in the interview. Shows your not one of the types to pull into the services to go toilet and waste precious time.

Generally, it doesn’t matter what you wear, if you tell them you are prepared to turn up and drive their truck for the crappy wage they are offering, they will bite your arm off.

This might sound stupid but I always like to go to interviews with a clean car as well. Especially if it’s a small firm. I’ve had it commented on before. Small firms see the ■■■■ as more of an asset and seeing a clean car can help them think you’ll look after their kit.

As a good choice of cologne I don’t think you can beat Polo blue. It radiates professionalism and the office girls will be impressed. If you are struggling for what to wear I always go Prada. You can’t go wrong. Power dress to impress is my motto.

adam277:

And we’re does that leave us who sport both a beard and a ponytail?

the nodding donkey:

adam277:

And we’re does that leave us who sport both a beard and a ponytail?

A Pirate ship :smiley:

robroy:
If the job is Transport Manager or something, wear a suit, it aint it’s a driving job, clean jeans, shirt, or even a polo,.and shoes not trainers.
Take a pair of safety boots a hi viz your licence, references and your digi card… sorted, and good luck.

What he said. Make it look like you’ve made an effort, not just got up off the settee from watching Jeremy Kyle. Definitely turn up equipped for a driving assessment.

I’m sure your personal hygiene is well up to scratch, but one thing that did used to bug me when I was interviewing drivers was dirty nails. No excuse for it.

If you’ve already put a CV in, well and good; if you haven’t, take one with you, keep it concise though. Few interviewers have the patience or time to run through reams of guff, so long as you’ve got correct dates, contacts for references, and any substantial gaps in employment either explained or camouflaged you’ll be fine. Same applies to any questions you may be asked; be clear, concise, positive and don’t waffle. If you don’t know something, say so.

Finally; make sure your working knowledge of drivers’ hours is up to scratch. I daresay things have improved since DCPC forced us to go through the regs every 12 months, but in my time in HR and transport management, it never ceased to amaze me how many drivers fell down on very basic stuff.

Nick makes a good point about the car. Even if yours is old, if it’s clean it gives the right impression.

Hope it goes well for you.

Thanks you lot…well most of you. :open_mouth:

I just want to make a good first impression without going over the top. Every other transport job I’ve had has been either via an agency or popped in after work etc.

A suits always been out the question especially as I’ll be having an assessment.

Kempie:
Thanks you lot…well most of you. :open_mouth:

I just want to make a good first impression without going over the top. Every other transport job I’ve had has been either via an agency or popped in after work etc.

A suits always been out the question especially as I’ll be having an assessment.

If that’s the case, bear in mind one thing a lot of drivers fall down on immediately at the start of said assessment; get up into the cab properly, use the handles not the steering wheel. Easy one to overlook, ditto getting out properly.

Black chino’s, a blue long sleeved polo shirt and new steelies from shoezone…

Oh and have a shave (unless you’ve got the manliest of manly perfectly trimmed beards of course) :smiley:

But what would I know about it, I’m just some pleb who nailed the interview and assessment and start next week :wink:

Come on then o/p how did it go, did you get the job?
And what did you go for?..Armani jeans with a Ralph Lauren polo.as advised.
Or did you not listen, and rock up in full Alan Partridge v neck shirt and tie with crimplene slacks? :smiley:

Kempie:
It’s been a while since I’ve had a proper interview for a job.

I’ve got an interview tomorrow with a driving assessment and haven’t a clue what to wear. I can’t wear a suit because I need my high vis and work boots on…

Seems strange to me to go for a job paying 35-40k and not wearing a suit.

I can’t suggest what you wear, just want to wish you good luck and hope you get the job.

adam277:

AndrewG:

adam277:

While your at it make it a point to ■■■■ yourself while in the interview. Shows your not one of the types to pull into the services to go toilet and waste precious time.

No, ask where the toilets are and then go and ■■■■ on one of his desk legs in full view as the nearby toilets are too far away.

I went for mine in shirt/tie/suit lol…

I did not know what to expect tbh…certainly weird driving an artic in a suit.

Got the job though…

Just go in what ever you feel your smart in and happy to wear…and good luck