Interview at P&H

Hi all
I have my first interview in over twenty years tomorrow at P&H in Snodland. Has anybody got any info on what they are like to work for? I know it will be caged multi-drop and most probably hard work, but can’t be too fussy as i need a start! Any info appreciated.
Cheers

Some drops may involve breaking a pallet down and handball in to lift or elevator if the pallet does not fit.
Some clients insist on taking the pallet back with you so its broken down on the pavement by a restaurant or hotel.
They use cages for deliveries .
If a client is rude or aggressive, you have to be polite as they will change the story and make out the driver was rude .

neil2402:
Hi all
I have my first interview in over twenty years tomorrow at P&H in Snodland. Has anybody got any info on what they are like to work for? I know it will be caged multi-drop and most probably hard work, but can’t be too fussy as i need a start! Any info appreciated.
Cheers

yes its hard work but they do pay pretty good

From Snodland it will be Ambient so drink, sweets, crisps and cigarettes mainly into Costcutter stores and Esso garages with a few smaller ones thrown in. Most of them you’ll have to unload the cages in the store, though some Costcutters you can leave the cage there and pick up a cage full of rubbish. As you said it’s hard work, though sometimes you’ll be double manned.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the interview as they always seem to be employing. the poster above has covered pretty much most of it, heavy work, although double manned a lot of the time.

You do tend to carry a lot of cigarettes so if you’re there any length of Time you’ll probably get robbed at some stage.

If it’s not them jumping on the back of your wagon it’ll be the shop keepers claiming XYZ hasn’t been delivered so keep your eyes peeled.

Permanent guys tend to get back quite early so not a bad job once you get use to it.

If you’re new and can handle p&h you may want to consider Brakes who pay around the 29k mark for similar work

Best of luck.

damian39:
I wouldn’t worry too much about the interview as they always seem to be employing. the poster above has covered pretty much most of it, heavy work, although double manned a lot of the time.

You do tend to carry a lot of cigarettes so if you’re there any length of Time you’ll probably get robbed at some stage.

If it’s not them jumping on the back of your wagon it’ll be the shop keepers claiming XYZ hasn’t been delivered so keep your eyes peeled.

Permanent guys tend to get back quite early so not a bad job once you get use to it.

If you’re new and can handle p&h you may want to consider Brakes who pay around the 29k mark for similar work

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info everybody. I have applied at Brakes also, along with countless others so hopefully be on the road soon.

It’s absolute crap. I worked for P&H for 12 months.

However…it is a way into LGV driving, and after 6 or 12 months it is a cracking start on your LGV CV. Very hard work, you will have to empty all the cages of product. Shell petrol stations can be a nightmare. Sometimes you will have drinks, etc stacked on pallets!

Some Costcutter shops will let you leave the full cages, and you simply take last delivery’s empty cages back.

You are far better getting on a chilled/frozen run than an ambient run. When you are new, you wont have a choice and may well be put with a second man.
Don’t get used to this, you will soon be on your own.

Any Q’s-fire them my way via PM. Good luck!!