International LGV Licence Conversion

A question… I have a friend who is married to an American truck driver, they live in the States at the moment but are thinking of moving to England (my friend is English). She’s asked me what the score is with her hubby converting his US CDL to a UK LGV C+E licence. From what I’ve researched on’t interwebnet it looks like he’ll have to start from scratch i.e. apply for a UK driving licence (medical / eye test etc), do his cat C training and test, then do C+E. Not forgetting the DCPC of course! Does anyone know different? Please only reply if you have a definitive answer, there’s far too many speculators and “armchair experts” on here :wink:

Has he had a British driving licence previously?

If not, then you are correct and he’ll have to start again from the beginning.

Purely out of curiosity, is the first week of the Biden administration that bad he’s already looking to move back here - Most are looking to do the opposite as the job market here for drivers is not great.
I would also consider Canadian options…

Nope - they can drive a car on the US licence for 12 months, but not a truck or bus.

He will have to take his B licence theory and test, then take his C theory and test. Then C+E test plus DCPC.

gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/

For the form I assumed he’d be a resident for 185+ days a year.

For his Cat B, he will have to get used to a stick shift…unless he just wants an automatic licence.

Thanks chaps, I thought that was the case.