International driving permit

Hi all,
Possibly a silly question I had to get a driving permit as I am nipping to France in feb quite an easy process and reasonably priced. The lady behind the counter just put a stamp by each category I have on my licence. Question is if I get a job going abroad in a hgv will I need a different one.
many thanks
Coop

cooper1203:
Hi all,
Possibly a silly question I had to get a driving permit as I am nipping to France in feb quite an easy process and reasonably priced. The lady behind the counter just put a stamp by each category I have on my licence. Question is if I get a job going abroad in a hgv will I need a different one.
many thanks
Coop

Who knows?
Until any transition agreements are signed we don’t know.
There are two flavours of IDP, check which you have; the one for France doesn’t cover Spain.
You must have a valid UK licence with you at all times. The IDP is really only a translation of your licence.

Depends on what countries you will be going to, I currently have two the one covered by the 1948 act covers Ireland and the one covered by the 1968 act is for most other European countries if you have the two then you are covered in all of Europe the Post Office has the list of which one you need for each country.

the lady behind the counter asked if I was going to spain which I don’t plan on at this time. I have seen the list of what each country requires and most don’t seem to need one if your stay is less than a certain length. France of course says if its a no deal you will need one regardless of length of stay.

What I was wondering is if this magic bit of paper I have for my car is good enough for the hgv side of things or if there is a special one for hgv’s

cooper1203:
the lady behind the counter asked if I was going to spain which I don’t plan on at this time. I have seen the list of what each country requires and most don’t seem to need one if your stay is less than a certain length. France of course says if its a no deal you will need one regardless of length of stay.

What I was wondering is if this magic bit of paper I have for my car is good enough for the hgv side of things or if there is a special one for hgv’s

As long as all your categories have been stamped onto the permit then that covers you for both car and HGV

cooper1203:

As long as all your categories have been stamped onto the permit then that covers you for both car and HGV

cooper1203:

As you said in your first post, the PO stamps the relevant squares including your truck ones.
In the case of no deal? (Hopefully unlikely) who knows?
Have you seen the recent Gov advice on Brexit?

Franglais:

cooper1203:

As you said in your first post, the PO stamps the relevant squares including your truck ones.

Deal or no deal the IDP will still be valid as it is a worldwide document

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

cooper1203:

Deal or no deal the IDP will still be valid as it is a worldwide document

Yes, but depending on what happens will more be required or not?

My understanding is we’re not going to need an IDP during the transition period, as the idea of a transition period is to be business as usual until it ends or there is a deal in place.
They were only required if we’d crashed out or crash out and then they’ll be plenty of things to worry about.

muckles:
My understanding is we’re not going to need an IDP during the transition period, as the idea of a transition period is to be business as usual until it ends or there is a deal in place.
They were only required if we’d crashed out or crash out and then they’ll be plenty of things to worry about.

Although it’s very unlikely we’ll crash out, it ain’t a done deal yet, is it?

Franglais:

muckles:

I’m pretty sure the Transition period is a done deal, so I’m sure there is no requirement for an IDP for 1st of February, I agree we’ll have to wait and see what we need for 1st January 2021, but then getting a driving permit is going to be only one problem getting a job in the EU if we get out without a deal or even with a deal.

However from my experience of working with people from around the World, if you have the skills required you can work anywhere; all hurdles can be overcome, if you don’t have the skills then why should you feel entitled to go and compete with the workers of another country for jobs they already have a workforce for?

Franglais:

cooper1203:

yes broadly its a load of flannel that just contradicts its self. I was interested in the customs limits and still none the wiser

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

I’m pretty sure the Transition period is a done deal, so I’m sure there is no requirement for an IDP for 1st of February, I agree we’ll have to wait and see what we need for 1st January 2021, but then getting a driving permit is going to be only one problem getting a job in the EU if we get out without a deal or even with a deal.

However from my experience of working with people from around the World, if you have the skills required you can work anywhere; all hurdles can be overcome, if you don’t have the skills then why should you feel entitled to go and compete with the workers of another country for jobs they already have a workforce for?

Yes, I’m wrong. The new Parliament has voted through the relevant act for Jan 31st. Next deadline is all of 11months away.
Oh Joy!
We’re carrying more paperwork for our load already: in addition to previous requirements, invoices, itemized packing lists, and copies must be stuck on pallets. Should only be minor issues, once our customers get used to it, some of them moan more than me.
Honest!

I know if you drive through France in a car you need a red triangle a Hi viz top and a breathaliser kit.
God.knows what you need in a truck

edd1974:
I know if you drive through France in a car you need a red triangle a Hi viz top and a breathaliser kit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
no breath kit required.
your meant to carry the hiviz so you can be wearing it before you exit the vehicle.
carrying it in the boot can lead to a fine if you dont pass the attitude test.

edd1974:

No need for breathalyser anymore.
You do need spare bulbs and fuses for cars and trucks.
Dunno about legality of blue GB marking on number plates, if you get a nit-picker cop? Back to old black on white oval I think.

The IDP is nothing new and has always been a requirement for driving abroad, but like most things it was just aside, especially considering each countries driver databases were supposed to be accessible by other EU members.
But again speculation is marvellous, and to the old and bold among us we can look forward to being taught what we already know by the younger drivers who think they know more by sharing something they’ve never come across before.

Another thing to look into on the continent is the use of dash cams. It seems in some countries that if you have one that records sound you have to advise anyone with you about this and then it is then ok to use it.
I had a house in Portugal and have driven thousands of miles there in the car with a dash cam . I have sold the house now and have found out dash cams are banned there full stop.

Grumpy Dad:
The IDP is nothing new and has always been a requirement for driving abroad, but like most things it was just aside, especially considering each countries driver databases were supposed to be accessible by other EU members.
But again speculation is marvellous, and to the old and bold among us we can look forward to being taught what we already know by the younger drivers who think they know more by sharing something they’ve never come across before.

ec.europa.eu/transport/road_saf … licence_en
No, an IDP isnt and hasnt been necessary for drivers from EU and EEA countries, in other member states. Since we are in a transition phase, they are still not necessary for a UK driver in the EU and EEA (and some other countries).