International courier work

Might be OK if you had a good niche market with your own customers but being a subbie means you will look forward to getting less than the minimum wage imo unless you know an honest and decent freight forwarder. And they are like hens teeth …

Yep Mr Raymond…All the Guy will hear is the cheques in the post…so the next week he runs his/her credit cards into the red to survive…and then the spiral begins

tmt14:
Best of luck with it.id love to do it

Have a word with the PL/RO drivers parked in the lay by nr Honda Swindon most weekends.
The top boys have got pods on their sprinters :sunglasses:

Running as an independent courier whether in uk or over the water is basically the same just the distance can be lot more. To be successful you need a good 2nd person finding you the next job. When I did it (until I was coerced back into this game by the offer of more money) I was doing hot shots mainly and there wasn’t the time or opportunity to find a job back myself and no one at home sitting on the phone to sort it for me. And no way was I going to pay the likes of Courier Exchange over six hundred pounds per year to be on their books !! :open_mouth:

Suedehead:

tmt14:

Have a word with the PL/RO drivers parked in the lay by nr Honda Swindon most weekends.

You need to ask Dipper how the ‘bottom’ boys get on then :laughing:

Glenntran:
go for it just work out if you can last for a few months of laying out for fuel ,insurance and other costs .Also buy the right van the sprinters are expensive but customers like them its about image clean modern van with a tidy polite driver it makes more sense than old battered transit with wheels dropping off

A few months most these days are 30 days end of month or 30 days from invoice

alix776:
A few months most these days are 30 days end of month or 30 days from invoice

Most of the ones I dealt with were 30 days end of month, if they paid at all !!

True I only a bit for a few local couriers now when the work of the trucks is quiet. But I have noticed that more and more on cx are asking 60+days terms and expect minimum rates. The whole job has gone to the dogs with to many idiots prepared to work for nothing. The long customer I have is direct and he’s on 30 days the rest vary from next day to end of the week [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

nobbynomad:
Just an idea I would like to put across to you all. I’m approaching my 60’s with a very good knowledge of International HGV class one driving having spent over 15 years in motorsport, event trucking, exhibition and conference trucking and rock and roll trucking. I’m thinking of buying a Sprinter van and going it on my own but not really interested in multi drop UK work, does anyone know of companies to approach, anyone who actually does this for a living or any other leads that would help me decide as to whether I want to follow this plan up… Any feedback would be appreciated… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thinking about putting one on the road myself for event work. Perhaps we can help eachother out. PM me with your details. Good luck.

I was going to apply for a van job doing Switzerland, but declined when he said , you eat your meals on the move, and is non stop there and back to beat the deadline to meet the customs agent at the border then deliver .
No sleep .

Yeah…And? LOL.

Glenntran:
go for it just work out if you can last for a few months of laying out for fuel ,insurance and other costs .Also buy the right van the sprinters are expensive but customers like them its about image clean modern van with a tidy polite driver it makes more sense than old battered transit with wheels dropping off

can’t afford to have a breakdown with an old nail more likely on the rates offered by todays marketplace :laughing:

That’s was my first thought as well vern that’s standard int it

That’s an ordinary day mate.

Sprinters are what everyone goes for others vans are just as good and much cheaper to buy and run. An older tidy van will do the job and earn you more than a new one on finance or lease. Also remember in jan and feb its worse than agency work and rates decrease to small van rates so enjoy. You’ll earn way less than minimum wage for triple the hours
And early sprinters rust very badly

alix776:
As one guy I know his customer sent a pallet to southern Spain asked him for quote and then told him they could have it delivered for 300 all in it still hasn’t arrived. The flip flops may be cheep but they do have risks

ive never had a problem yet,

Suedehead:

tmt14:

one of mine

Nice :sunglasses:

burnley-si:

Suedehead:

tmt14:

one of mine

Is that ex LCS Si…Like one I used to drive when I worked for them?

When I lived near Brindisi, there was a couple of Sprinter jockeys who regularly came down with stuff for the expats living there abouts.

They always looked wiped out and couldn’t stand up unless there was a nearby wall for them to lean against.