internal straps

doing a nightly hub rub,unload, reload, double decker,pallet work, been told no need to use the internal straps!!! my thoughts are, they should be,what would you do?

Use em, it’s your license

peirre:
Use em, it’s your license

my thoughts exactly,even the driver trainer doesn’t use them, it’s a worry

Id agree, no need to use internals. Their bloody useless and nowhere near adequate in most cases anyway.

Id say get some proper straps on the load. Guessing your bod in the office thinks codexl curtains are moses.

Ask for it in writing.

I wouldnt be taking it anywhere, but thats just me.

personally id only bother strapping anything that might come shooting through the sides if i was rallying it around a roundabout but in general terms,
if they dont agree beforehand to pay any and all fines re useless strapping,then spend several hours every night strapping everything and miss your slot for loading and reloading in which case you shouldnt be long in finding decent employment elsewhere whether you want to or not as you should be as much good to your employer as ■■■■ on a bull.

Definitely use em. If you get pulled you’ve no excuse why you haven’t other than laziness. Send an email to the traffic commissioner informing him or her that your company trainer is telling drivers not to strap it. That will sort them out soon enough when DVSA come in knocking on the door.

dieseldog999:
personally id only bother strapping anything that might come shooting through the sides if i was rallying it around a roundabout but in general terms,
if they dont agree beforehand to pay any and all fines re useless strapping,then spend several hours every night strapping everything and miss your slot for loading and reloading in which case you shouldnt be long in finding decent employment elsewhere whether you want to or not as you should be as much good to your employer as ■■■■ on a bull.

If it takes you several hours to attached 14 or 15 internal straps on either side of the trailer then you should just do fridges or containers. It takes about 10 mins to fully strap an extra long double decker then another 10 mins to fasten up all the curtains which you’ve got to do whether you strap the load or not. So for the sake of 10mins…not several hours :unamused: … you might as well just strap it for what it’s worth. As for missing loading slots, if you do miss it for being legal then it’s not your problem your company and the pallet hub will have to sort it out between themselves but no one and I mean no one not even the bloke who pays your wage can tell you not to spend time strapping it all.

I would use internals upto 400kg and proper straps beyond that - its the law and VOSA will not be happy if they see anything else. Top deck should only be 400 max so only internals for that.

Obviously there are occasions where standard straps wont work so double up on internals. But for gods sake use straps and if they complain, tell them it needs to be loaded earlier.

Unfortunately a lot of companies still worry more about slots than safety until of course it comes undone then somewhere you’ll find you signed a sheet to say “I will strap legally” which they will use you to shaft you.

Rowley010:
Definitely use em. If you get pulled you’ve no excuse why you haven’t other than laziness. Send an email to the traffic commissioner informing him or her that your company trainer is telling drivers not to strap it. That will sort them out soon enough when DVSA come in knocking on the door.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
be a grass,surely the best foundation for employer/employee relationships. :unamused:

dieseldog999:

Rowley010:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
be a grass,surely the best foundation for employer/employee relationships. :unamused:

Or the operator could just be compliant in the first place :unamused: if not then they aren’t a company that I’d want any sort of relationship with. Where else will they ask a driver to cut corners? Take a truck out with brake warning lights and go and kill someone like what happened with that tipper lorry near bath. Problem is in this game there are too many drivers that will just do this kind of stuff to please the planners and managers.

Rowley010:

dieseldog999:

Rowley010:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or the operator could just be compliant in the first place :unamused: if not then they aren’t a company that I’d want any sort of relationship with. Where else will they ask a driver to cut corners? Take a truck out with brake warning lights and go and kill someone like what happened with that tipper lorry near bath. Problem is in this game there are too many drivers that will just do this kind of stuff to please the planners and managers.

^^^^^^^^
alternatively,theres plenty of drivers who arnt touts and dont really give a toss unless its common sense to comply with load security and not just to please self funding bean counters.( this also works best when your company pays the fines).

suetay:
, been told no need to use the internal straps!!!

Don’t know what you’re carrying but if it’s light stuff, he’s right there is no NEED. :bulb:

However…
If you are caught you get nicked, so I would say ■■■■ what he says, ■■■■ it if it’s late, strap it…, it’s your arse on the line not his. :bulb:

Only yesterday I picked up 22 pallets of single row cardboard, not a hope in hell of it causing any probs or marauding like a raging bull through the curtains. :unamused:
But I wasted 15 mins of my life that I will never get back internally strapping it all up, just so I wouldn’t give the ■■■■ s the satisfaction of making a few quid out of me…because that is ALL it’s about mate, money, nothing more nothing less. :bulb:

So it’s your call mate. :bulb:

Rowley010:
it takes about 10 mins to fully strap an extra long double decker then another 10 mins to fasten up all the curtains

Huh, It often takes me 10 ■■■■■■■ minutes to get ONE pole in properly, with the curtain actually under the pelmet, on a poxy standard Montracon trailer.

cav551:

Rowley010:
it takes about 10 mins to fully strap an extra long double decker then another 10 mins to fasten up all the curtains

Huh, It often takes me 10 [zb] minutes to get ONE pole in properly, with the curtain actually under the pelmet, on a poxy standard Montracon trailer.

The front poles on a decker are my biggest problem atm. I am 5ft tall and struggle to say the least. Luckily the guys at the hub are fantastic or I would probably still be there now, struggling

Internals would be more use if they didn’t just pull the roof line down. But surely a stronger roof, so useful internals, would mean a heavier trailer, less load, less cost effective etc etc?

As far as the op’s concerned: If you consider yourself a proper lorry driver, there’s no need to ask the question in the first place.

At our place i was told that the internals were fine for packs of stone…

[emoji54][emoji54]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

truckertang:

[emoji54][emoji54]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

truckertang:

[emoji54][emoji54]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah ok i said and then rachet strapped the load (i even had 6 packs double stacked…[emoji54][emoji54]
Afterwards i did explain that I’m not a newbie thats come straight from bypass driver training…

Oh and the trailer i was allocated didnt even have any internals [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

truckertang:
Yeah ok i said and then rachet strapped the load (i even had 6 packs double stacked…[emoji54][emoji54]
Afterwards i did explain that I’m not a newbie thats come straight from bypass driver training…

Oh and the trailer i was allocated didnt even have any internals [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Was it a flat? :laughing: