Internal Straps

I’m sure this has been asked loads of times, but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer and I need one quick!!!

Can you use internal straps on a curtainsider with standard curtains (i.e. Not XL, etc.) for pallets/cages upto 400kg and over 400kg?

Cheers, Nez

It isn’t a straight forward answer but somewhere along the way DVSA sent out an email saying they would accept internals for up to 400kg. Never seen mention of it since. It was in their ‘Moving on’ publication.

Definitely not for over 400kg.

Personally I disagree. Most internal straps are only rated to LC350 DaN on the label, then it depends on the structure it is attached to so where DVSA get their 400kg I dunno.

Thanks for the reply,

So if over 400Kg, then internals straps alone are insufficient. Where would this be documented? I could really do with downloading an official document that states this!

I am being told by my transport office that they’re fine, I say they’re not. I had a 450Kg pallet of paint with a 185Kg pallet stacked on top retained only by an internal strap and my curtain. After exiting a roundabout I noticed a bulge in my curtain. The lower pallet had partially collapsed causing the top pallet to slide into the curtain. Luckily the strap & curtain held, but it could have been much worse.

Cheers, Nez

If you’d have had a belly ■■■■■■■■ that pair of pallets, it would still have collapsed, sounds like it shouldn’t have been doubled up in the first place, you need to check what’s being doubled up & perhaps get the load moved around a bit.

As said. But it really depends on the load rating the manufacturer stipulate. If the manufacturer put a 1ton rating in the equipment VOSA can spin

nick2008:
As said. But it really depends on the load rating the manufacturer stipulate. If the manufacturer put a 1ton rating in the equipment VOSA can spin

It really isn’t that simple. I have seen internal straps with a label quoting LC 1000 DaN. The Operator had bought them specifically and fitted them to his trailer in place of the standard ones. Unfortunately he didn’t take account of the strength of the trailer structure that he attached them to. At some point the load shifted and it pulled the roof down badly deforming the trailer.

We have to consider the vehicle body and its construction which is generally covered by the EN 12642 standard.

In the case of the OP the problem is more the packaging. Why can’t manufacturers/suppliers get the hang of packing things to survive transport and not just Fork Lift movement or sitting on a shelf. And when will loaders stop stacking pallets that aren’t up to it.

shep532:

nick2008:

It really isn’t that simple. I have seen internal straps with a label quoting LC 1000 DaN. The Operator had bought them specifically and fitted them to his trailer in place of the standard ones. Unfortunately he didn’t take account of the strength of the trailer structure that he attached them to. At some point the load shifted and it pulled the roof down badly deforming the trailer.

We have to consider the vehicle body and its construction which is generally covered by the EN 12642 standard.

In the case of the OP the problem is more the packaging. Why can’t manufacturers/suppliers get the hang of packing things to survive transport and not just Fork Lift movement or sitting on a shelf. And when will loaders stop stacking pallets that aren’t up to it.

When I ment. Manufacturer I was referring to the vehicle manufacturers not just the makers of the straps. So by going on the point you mentioned (construction) the vehicle/ trailer may not be able to use belly straps either. I agree with you on the point that goods are not packaged adequately or that companies don’t want to spend money on the correct type of equipment.

You’re going to have to tell me what you mean by belly straps. It’s not a phrase I use and I’m not 100% sure what you mean.

The trailers are sealed when we get them. We can insist on checking the load ourselves, but it is “discouraged” as the load is signed off as ok by a supervisor/manager. As he/she won’t be paying my fine for me if I get pulled, then I WILL be checking them myself from now on!

shep532:
You’re going to have to tell me what you mean by belly straps. It’s not a phrase I use and I’m not 100% sure what you mean.

Sorry. Using straps that you would hook on the chassis as side raves aren’t always upto much

Nezza:
The trailers are sealed when we get them. We can insist on checking the load ourselves, but it is “discouraged” as the load is signed off as ok by a supervisor/manager. As he/she won’t be paying my fine for me if I get pulled, then I WILL be checking them myself from now on!

At the end of the day if you ain’t happy don’t touch it

nick2008:

shep532:

Sorry. Using straps that you would hook on the chassis as side raves aren’t always upto much

Yep - couldn’t agree more. You see so many side raves bent and twisted on the underside due to strap hooks pulling at them. If there aren’t any proper lashing points built into the deck then either use the chassis or look at a different hook design that is made for on a channel - like the ones on curtain straps. These don’t deform the rave as much - nut most raves aren’t designed to be strapped to.

I won’t be Nick, from now on I’ve told them I want too check the loads first