Internal Straps & RDC Unloaders

Probably a daft question but just curious if anyone has ever delivered to an RDC with internal straps done up (like we are supposed to do :wink:) and ever been called to undo them before being tipped or will the unloaders quite happily undo them whilst tipping…

Yes, they will quite happily undo them themselves, usually with the help of a Stanley knife… :smiley:

Always undo them yourself and move them out of the way where they can’t damage them, deliberately or otherwise!!

Back door unloading we have to undo the inner straps/nets place the securing buckle onto the trailers edge then re secure the outer curtain, takes about 5 minutes each side.

Highly unlikely that they would undo the straps. I rarely do RDC deliveries, but the last time I delivered to Grangemouth, it was beyond them to even turn my pump truck over on its side one they had finished. Got the green light, pulled off bay and heard a bit of crashing and banging from the back of the trailer. Got out to investigate only to see said pump truck lying on the floor. They wouldn’t even send a forkie over to lift it back on.

Thanks for the replies, I’m trying to come up with the quickest way to do this- whether its back on the bay unfasten curtains undo straps close curtains, or do it before backing on the bay if I’m not blocking anyones manouvering.

9 times out of 10, I back on the bay, undo the curtains then undo the straps & try to get the straps out of the way. If they won’t move they have to stay where they are & the ‘Nice’ Polish/European/Agency Minimum Wage Earners just have to work round them.

Not had any damaged or cut ‘Yet’. I’ll address that when & if it happens.

Dipper_Dave:
Thanks for the replies, I’m trying to come up with the quickest way to do this- whether its back on the bay unfasten curtains undo straps close curtains, or do it before backing on the bay if I’m not blocking anyones manouvering.

The easiest way around this problem, is to ask your boss to change your inefficient, time and energy consuming curtainsider, for a more driver friendly box van.

Unless the internals are vertical down the sides & unlikely to cause a problem, I generally undo them immediately before, or as soon as I put the trailer on the bay, the back pallet cross straps I might even jump in the back to undo them before putting it on a door, but whatever I do I always do it before I press the button on the outside of the bay to put the traffic light on red.
If Im in the line up waiting to get on the bay for a side tip, like everyone else Ill pop the buckles on the curtains to save time

I would undo and stow them as soon as backed on the bay. I also always leave the curtains in buckled, especially if getting loaded because the numptys tend to run the pallets down the trailer against the curtain. They tend to be more careful if they can see the ground

Dipper_Dave:
Probably a daft question but just curious if anyone has ever delivered to an RDC with internal straps done up (like we are supposed to do :wink:) and ever been called to undo them before being tipped or will the unloaders quite happily undo them whilst tipping…

how are you expecting the unloaders to undo them?

On occasion even after I’ve undone them I’ve found them lying on the floor of the trailer after the RDC people have decided they are in the way and unclipped them from the roof bar, and thrown them on the floor at the back of the trailer

I have recently been to Tesco Litchfield with straps undone them all .Put vehicle on bay about 30 mins later
a man come in to waiting room a ask for driver on bay 43 me and ask for help .Goes with him and he ask me
to lifts straps out of he way.He would not unload it if i did not lift straps out of his way. It was the bloke who speaks very soft.