Interim operating licence criteria

Hi all,

Just finalising my operator licence application. I have everything in place, apart from a truck which I won’t get until I need it. It has taken an age to sort out my operating centres, however I now have space in existing yards agreed, both will be happy to supply letters for my application.

Due to the huge gap between passing my professional cpc (Jan) and now, I am hoping to apply for an interim licence so that I can start earning while I wait the 10 weeks for my full licence to go through. My question is, do I stand any chance of getting an interim licence? If it is feasible, what criteria would I need to meet to be allowed this?

I can’t see any reason for the full licence to face any hurdles, especially as the operating centres are on existing industrial areas, with no obvious problems regarding access, environmental impact etc. I have sufficient funds to demonstrate financial standing for my fleet and I am going to be my own transport manager, holding a recent cpc.

Any advice on interim licences welcome, and gratefully recieved.

Steve

If I remember correctly, when I applied for my original operators licence, I put in a covering letter asking for an interim licence to be given, and had to pay about £60.
It was granted after a week or so and I cracked on working and then a while after the Licence came through.

Not aware of the process has changed or not in the last 11 years

Hope this helps

Thanks tc trans , I’m going to ask for an interim licence, even if they say ‘no’ it worth trying.

Hi Falcon did you end up getting the interim?

I haven’t got that far yet!

Still trying to nail a realistically priced operating centre, before I submit my operating license application.

Everything else is in place,

Just counting to 10…again… :wink:

Ok I know how even the simplest stuff gets tough quickly so wish u all the best.

I’m going through this process myself, i put an Interim request in and I’ve been waiting 6 weeks so far. Very frustrating process but its something we all have to go through. Good Luck

Out of interest, What sort of prices are the operating centres you have had contact about?

Interim is really designed with existing operators moving premises in mind, that type of thing.

I had issues with a TM being rejected in my application so hasn’t been a smooth process.
I applied for interim because I’ve had work waiting to start for months and anything that can get it sorted quicker is an option i need to try.

Sorry to hijack the post!

Hi All,

I thought I’d post an update on my application.

I applied for my operating licence on 30th July, my application was officially ‘received’ on the 4th August. My case worker had a misunderstanding about my current trading position and wrote to me for clarification on the 17th August. I replied immediately, but my application was not listed in ‘Applications and decisions’ until 1st September. I have been given an expected decision date of 6th October which means the process should take 9 weeks.

As far as my interim licence application, well it still hasn’t been considered yet, I phoned this morning and was told that it might not be considered at all!

I continue to wait patiently…

Steve

TrickyDuncanDL:
I’m going through this process myself, i put an Interim request in and I’ve been waiting 6 weeks so far. Very frustrating process but its something we all have to go through. Good Luck

Out of interest, What sort of prices are the operating centres you have had contact about?

Hi TrickyDuncanDL,

My operating centres are priced at £190 pm

Steve

Hi all,

A quick update, I have been granted my full licence today, my interim application want even considered.

Steve

Good for you Steve, keep us updated when you start trading etc and how it goes .

Just ask to be granted an interim, no guarantee full licence will be granted though!! Send a letter in with your application requesting it.