Interesting night fior the agency

I did a night shift for the agency yesterday, they sent me to PC Howard near Collyweston and I did the Palletways run to Lichfield.

What an eye opener. :laughing: :open_mouth: :laughing:

The truck was a V registered ERF !

OMG, the gearbox, I couldn’t seem to go anywhere in it until a chap in the yard took me around the yard in it and demonstrated it. For the oldies here it was an Eaton 12 speed box with 1,4,7 and 10 on the main stick and all the others on the sliding switch on the side of the knob.

So, big apologies to all truckers held up by my slow roundabouts on the way there and back, it seemed I needed to blip the throttle when changing down on the main stick whilst also using the clutch and brake, I need more legs. :smiley:

In fairness by the time I got back I had almost mastered it. :laughing:

Palletways in Lichfield was an experience and a half. :laughing:

It’s a very confusing place for the noobs like me, but thanks to some very helpful old hands I managed to get tipped and loaded eventually.

I’ll not get a chance to drive an ERF like that for a while but I did enjoy the challenge and look forward to some Eaton tips from the pro’s. :slight_smile:

Oh, and it was my first run out with a double decker so I took it nice and easy. :slight_smile:

I can see why you said it was an interesting night :open_mouth: sounds bloody horrible for a noob to contend with, what time did you end up getting finished? You going to take a week off then mate? Bloody slacker :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Not quite a week off, I’m going to work at my old firm driving a Transit for a week, 8am til 4pm and Class 2 wages, nice. :slight_smile:

If you managed to get from a2b fella hats off to you
I love the eaton twin splitter :laughing:
Glad someone took the time to help you out most would run a mile or just say dunno drive

Wozzer:
OMG, the gearbox, I couldn’t seem to go anywhere in it until a chap in the yard took me around the yard in it and demonstrated it. For the oldies here it was an Eaton 12 speed box with 1,4,7 and 10 on the main stick and all the others on the sliding switch on the side of the knob.

That’s an eaton twin split, the reason you were strugling is you used the clutch you only use the clutch to start off and when you stop, all other gear changes are done without using the clutch, it takes a bit of mastering some drivers swear by them, I swear at them, don’t try to change down to soon and you will be fine.

Wozzer wrote:

Can’t think of a more confusing way to think of it! All it is is a 4 speed box. Then it will split each gear twice if you want it to. Many boxes will split once; this is the same but does it twice. (Don’t get “splitter” confused with “range change” which is probably what you learnt on).

So imagine that you would only normally drive 1,2,3,4. Then add the splitter to help it. So, given a fit vehicle and a reasonable load and no gradient, you may well set off in 1st high. From there, 2nd medium then 3rd low, 3rd high and so on until you may eventually make it to 4th high. You would only use more splitter if the conditions needed it.

As has been said, the clutch is only used to move off and stop. But you will want a bootfull of revs as you change down so that the revs marry up with the road speed.

This is a lousy explaination - - it’s far too late!!

It may just help; hope it doesn’t confuse.

Will respond to a pm if you want more detailed help. :laughing: :laughing:

Wozzer:
The truck was a V registered ERF !

Hi wozzer, I can’t help but agree with Peter’s post above, including the part about it maybe being confusing. :wink:

I’d suggest that the easiest way to imagine the positions for the gears is to first remember an old-fashioned four-speed gearbox as fitted to cars.

Now imagine that each of the four gear slots in the ‘H’ gate has three available gears instead of one, so that’s how you get to having 12 gears altogether.

Just for the discussion, let’s start by saying that on this occasion you need to use all 12 gears, so now we’ll see how to use them in the correct order…
Select the ‘low’ position on the splitter switch, and using the clutch in the normal way, select 1st gear in the ‘H’ gate, then set off… (You won’t now need your left foot for the rest of this procedure. :wink: )
Whilst you’re moving, select the middle position on the splitter switch, lift your right foot very slightly of the gas pedal, then slightly depress your right foot. You’ll now be in second gear…
Repeat the step above after selecting ‘high’ split, then you’ll be in third gear…
To get 4th gear, move the splitter selector back to the ‘low’ position, ease off the gas as above, then move the gearstick itself to what you’d imagine is the second gear position in the ‘H’ gate.
The rest of the gears are found and used in exactly the way I’ve described above.

As Peter mentioned, in reality, you can do ‘skip’ changes dependent on the gradient of the road and the weight of the load.

Changing down through the gears requires little ‘blips’ of the throttle, but you must remember that, if you’re ‘skip’ changing downwards… the bigger the skip = the bigger the throttle ‘blip’ needed. (Yes, sometimes a “bootful.” :wink: )

It doesn’t matter who you are, everybody has to learn at some point and everybody had a ‘first day’, so please don’t be too embarassed by the tunes you’ll inevitably be playing as you master the art of driving a twin-splitter. :wink:

It’s all a question of matching your road speed (MPH) to the engine speed (RPM,) so the only difference is that you’re physically managing the function provided by the synchros of a more ‘normal’ manual gearbox.

Once you’ve mastered the above, you’ll find that the Eaton twin-splitter is actually a very good gearbox, and pretty straightforward to drive.

The gear position marked “C” is for ‘crawler’ gear, which is a gear that’s even lower that 1st ‘low’ and doesn’t split. You won’t normally need to even consider using this gear.

:bulb: TIP #1
To avoid embarassing crunching noises when selecting whatever gear you decide to use for setting-off, depress the clutch pedal all the way to the end, then just as you’re selecting the gear, push the clutch pedal (quite hard) an extra half inch. This will operate the transmission brake, which slows the gear shafts sufficiently so as to match engine speed (tickover RPM) with road speed (0 MPH) It’ll always crunch if you don’t. :wink:

:bulb: TIP #2
Select reverse gear with care, cos there are three of them, depending on the position of the splitter switch. :grimacing:

:open_mouth: WARNING: You can use three reverse gears one after the other as described above, but if you try it, PLEASE be careful, cos reverse ‘high’ is pretty quick. :open_mouth: :grimacing:

I hope that helps. :smiley:

Thanks Dave. That would be my “awake” version!! :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Thanks Dave. That would be my “awake” version!! :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Peter, it was my pleasure mate, cos we’re all here to help if we can. :smiley:

Thanks chaps. :slight_smile:

2 very good explanations indeed. :smiley:

I think I’m going to print them off for reference.

I would like to have another crack at the Eaton Twin Splitter now, I never guessed you didn’t need to use the supplied clutch apart from when moving away and stopping. I never sensed the extra half inch to an inch of travel in it either.

I will see if I can scam myself another drive in the wee beastie before I start my new job next week.

I did find the gears a bit close together even with a pretty heavy double decker on the back so it’s nice to know I can skip a few.

I did like the ERF, although dated it seemed quite tidy inside with a good view of the road and a comfy seat.

Once again, cracking explanations and I look forward to another bash at it. :smiley:

EDIT: Have a looksy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN_3nt9cerU

EDIT: Have a looksy here: youtube.com/watch?v=mN_3nt9cerU

Look at that for the classic mistakes in using an Eaton twin split. Far too much clutch. As I always say “If there’s an easy way, Uncle Pete will show you!” And that isn’t it!! :laughing: :laughing: