Interesting Electric Truck

From Top Gear website

What you’re looking at above is the Nikola Tre, and the first thing to mention is that it is not a purpose-built electric lorry. This is Nikola’s first step on the road to that inevitable goal, so the Tre is actually an Iveco S-WAY that has been converted into an EV.

Said conversion and the subsequent styling changes were actually carried out as a joint operation between Nikola and Italdesign. Yep, the company behind the bonkers €1.5million Zerouno supercar has helped to build a lorry. Each to their own, we say.

The Tre (poor name, we know) features a 720kWh battery pack which, teamed with an electric motor, can produce 644bhp and a mighty 1,328lb ft of torque. It’ll also manage a range of 250 miles, although we haven’t had any word on charging times to see whether proper long-haul trucking would be possible.

The inside is rather smart, though, isn’t it? There are two large screens – one in place of the dials and one for just about everything else. No really, that central infotainment screen holds the key to the climate control, mirror adjustment, suspension height adjustment, a 360-degree camera system, navigation, the Bluetooth audio system and apparently a comprehensive list of diagnostics.

Nikola reckons first deliveries will start in 2021, so let’s start a conversation here and now people – is electric power the future for lorries?

I was lucky enough to be at the CNH/Nikola launch, and it will be very interesting to see how quickly it comes to Europe. In North America the first Nikola tractor units are being operated by Annheuser Busch on trunk deliveries and giving some very good electric range.

Who knows, I might put one on a heavy haul fleet?!

RIPPER:
Nikola reckons first deliveries will start in 2021, so let’s start a conversation here and now people – is electric power the future for lorries?

I think we’ll see Battery powered electric trucks operating on urban, multidrop deliveries very soon, probably mostly Rigids, I believe Mercedes have a large rigid (26t?) on trials with some haulage fleets at the moment and should be for sale within the same time scale as the Nikola.

From what I’ve read the Nikola is uses hydrogen fuels cells and not batteries, might be far more viable option for long distance work and for weight, but what about the transportation, handling and storage of the hydrogen or is it contained in some way to make it inert?

muckles:

RIPPER:

I think we’ll see Battery powered electric trucks operating on urban, multidrop deliveries very soon, probably mostly Rigids, I believe Mercedes have a large rigid (26t?) on trials with some haulage fleets at the moment and should be for sale within the same time scale as the Nikola.

From what I’ve read the Nikola is uses hydrogen fuels cells and not batteries, might be far more viable option for long distance work and for weight, but what about the transportation, handling and storage of the hydrogen or is it contained in some way to make it inert?

How do hydrogen fuel cells stack up with regenerative braking, I wonder?
Seems to me regen is necessary for increasing the range of vehicles, especially anywhere not perfectly flat.
I`m still surprised at the lack of hybrids. Using electrics to brake, recharges batteries (yes, streets ahead, but still too heavy) increases range, and saves particles from friction braking too.
Hydrogen is very interesting but on board storage is problematic, as well as depot storage and transport, as you correctly point out.

Touch-screen switchgear?
Hmmm. Im not convinced. Looking at an illuminated screen, at night? When I can currently reach down, eyes always on the road/surroundings, and hit a physical button by feel? Doesnt sound like an advance to me.

Franglais:

muckles:

RIPPER:

Seems to me regen is necessary for increasing the range of vehicles, especially anywhere not perfectly flat.
I`m still surprised at the lack of hybrids. Using electrics to brake, recharges batteries (yes, streets ahead, but still too heavy) increases range, and saves particles from friction braking too.

I would have thought regen under braking is vital for battery powered cars, because of limited range and recharge times, even the shortest of which doesn’t compete with filling a fuel tank. Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles don’t have that problem, however they are both electric engine, so maybe it could be stored and used, but to do it with a battery leads to more problems.

As for Hybrids, I thought Volvo and DAF were working on Hybrid trucks, but don’t see much about it. I see Hyundai seems to be pushing the Hydrogen fuel vehicle over battery EV’s.

Franglais:
Hydrogen is very interesting but on board storage is problematic, as well as depot storage and transport, as you correctly point out.

On board storage of batteries leads to its own on board storage and transport problems, I’ve worked with hybrid racing cars, the massive power in the battery leads to a raft of precautions and extra training for those working on the car and anybody who may come into contact with the car, such as track marshals. They also removed the battery after each event and put it in a transport container, complete with DGN, which I had to declare on the ferry and ended up outside on the top deck, this was for a 25kg battery.

I suppose many fuel stations and even industrial sites already store flammable gas under pressure and we don’t have loads of places blowing up and maybe we’ve become a bit blasé over petrol, but actually that is pretty volatile, I’ve seen plenty of fuel fires in racing over the years, especially during refuelling at pit stops, despite the raft of precautions and systems checks.

There are issues with hydrogen outside of it`s volatility.
futureofworking.com/10-advantag … uel-cells/
Hydrogen may be the way to go, (even run a V8 on it to keep CF happy) but there are problems to be over come in its storage and transport. At the moment all avenues should be researched.

watch how many 2 wheel organ donors and pedestrians get creamed if the supermarkets and similar no doubt grant assisted companies start using stuff like that.
id imagine it would be somewhat similar to the number of non starting trucks every morning because the retards working in places like that forgot to put them on charge the night before.
and
how would something like that be shifted 24/7 by tosco or stobrats? if them wheels aint turning,the trucks not earning.

dieseldog999:
watch how many 2 wheel organ donors and pedestrians get creamed if the supermarkets and similar no doubt grant assisted companies start using stuff like that.
id imagine it would be somewhat similar to the number of non starting trucks every morning because the retards working in places like that forgot to put them on charge the night before.
and
how would something like that be shifted 24/7 by tosco or stobrats? if them wheels aint turning,the trucks not earning.

Its not a Battery EV, but uses a hydrogen fuel cells, no need for recharge just fill the tank and go, although the likes of Dozy being let loose with a pump of super cooled hydrogen is cause for concern. :open_mouth: :laughing:

WHY AM I THINKING…THIS!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

AS THAY ANY BISTO…BABY??

youtube.com/watch?v=SYJCWStejSc

dieseldog999:
WHY AM I THINKING…THIS!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

AS THAY ANY BISTO…BABY??

youtube.com/watch?v=SYJCWStejSc

Yep coming to a Stobart deport near you, Dozermintor, Total destruction while fuelling. :laughing:

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

RIPPER:

I would have thought regen under braking is vital for battery powered cars, because of limited range and recharge times, even the shortest of which doesn’t compete with filling a fuel tank. Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles don’t have that problem, however they are both electric engine, so maybe it could be stored and used, but to do it with a battery leads to more problems.

As for Hybrids, I thought Volvo and DAF were working on Hybrid trucks, but don’t see much about it. I see Hyundai seems to be pushing the Hydrogen fuel vehicle over battery EV’s.

Franglais:

On board storage of batteries leads to its own on board storage and transport problems, I’ve worked with hybrid racing cars, the massive power in the battery leads to a raft of precautions and extra training for those working on the car and anybody who may come into contact with the car, such as track marshals. They also removed the battery after each event and put it in a transport container, complete with DGN, which I had to declare on the ferry and ended up outside on the top deck, this was for a 25kg battery.

I suppose many fuel stations and even industrial sites already store flammable gas under pressure and we don’t have loads of places blowing up and maybe we’ve become a bit blasé over petrol, but actually that is pretty volatile, I’ve seen plenty of fuel fires in racing over the years, especially during refuelling at pit stops, despite the raft of precautions and systems checks.

Whats new about electric lorries ? – our ancestors done it this way !! Toshboy

All this relying on electricity is a little worrying in my opinion.

If your whole transport system/economy not to mention communications and defence systems all rely on one source being electricity it seems like it’s setting up a recipe for disaster. Not to sound like a doom monger but a few EMP blasts could literally ground the whole country to a halt and knock it back into the Stone Age in a matter of hours if not minutes. Also can the grids cope with what will be an overwhelming demand? When were they last upgraded? Will rolling blackouts be a thing of the future? Will governments cut supply after a certain time like we are all children to be put to bed to relieve pressure from the grids?

I am certainly no expert any of this but to be honest they are not outrageous scenarios I don’t think?

All eggs in one basket is never a good idea. There must be something more reliable and cleaner. As not to mention once those car batteries are dead after 100,000 miles they are. It recycled as yet. And the cost to the planet to make these devices is just as harmful than oil and gas If not more! Google Chinese tech factory waste, and where your electronics go to die and you will see for yourself

dont know why but i read the title as Interesting Electric Pump Truck

Maybe why government wants to build new nuclear plant at Sizewell.

New nuclear plant at Sizewell set for green light
By Simon Jack
Business editor
30 October 2020 Business
BBC news website.

A few years ago walmart bought a hybrid truck and made good PR announcements about ‘going green’ and saving the environment etc… It wasn’t at the RDC I worked at and news about it faded away so drivers asked other drivers and it turns out the hybrid had all the hybrid components removed and a regular diesel and ten speed manual gearbox installed which was not announced by the PR department. :wink:

Very interesting. They seem to use an Iveco it looks like to me

thehighlandscot:
All this relying on electricity is a little worrying in my opinion.

If your whole transport system/economy not to mention communications and defence systems all rely on one source being electricity it seems like it’s setting up a recipe for disaster. Not to sound like a doom monger but a few EMP blasts could literally ground the whole country to a halt and knock it back into the Stone Age in a matter of hours if not minutes. Also can the grids cope with what will be an overwhelming demand? When were they last upgraded? Will rolling blackouts be a thing of the future? Will governments cut supply after a certain time like we are all children to be put to bed to relieve pressure from the grids?

I am certainly no expert any of this but to be honest they are not outrageous scenarios I don’t think?

All eggs in one basket is never a good idea. There must be something more reliable and cleaner. As not to mention once those car batteries are dead after 100,000 miles they are. It recycled as yet. And the cost to the planet to make these devices is just as harmful than oil and gas If not more! Google Chinese tech factory waste, and where your electronics go to die and you will see for yourself

Very interesting points actually I’d not thought of or seen mention of before.

Ah ok so Iveco built. Now I look again I see a comment above mentions CNH

You can easily tell it’s a ‘truck of the future’ by the lavish side fairings that have been a fixture on every manufacturer’s ‘truck of the future’ unveiled in the last half century.