Interesting article in the news!

bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25043437

Bristol’s Mayor wants a rush hour ban for lorries to make it safer for cyclists which would then probably push the lorries to an earlier delivery time and then that would be annoy the residents plus in places it would be a mad rush to get in and out before the ban starts.

Lorries delivering earlier means workplaces opening earlier to accept deliveries which means workers cycling to work earlier.

The last idea is the same as my idea and is the only 1 that can possibly work.

Mutual respect and consideration.

Maybe it’s because I’m a cyclist myself (when I get the time and have the energy), even though I don’t ride on the road much, but I hate all the negativity against cyclists as much as I hate the negativity against trucks, busses, taxi’s, female drivers etc etc etc…

It really doesn’t take THAT long to pass a cyclist safely, on a really bad day, you might be stuck behind 1 for 5 mins? And I’m talking a REALLY BAD day there, 5 ■■■■■■■ minutes…

I’ll also admit, that some cyclists don’t help, being natural idiots.

I think there needs to be an identifying mark on cycles of some kind, a chip - with readers installed in traffic lights - maybe? A number plate is un-workable, but they / we need something.

I have insurance, my tax / road fund licence would still be £0 the same as a Prius or even the new BMW 118d (a 2 litre diesel, quite high performance car) since my emissions are so low, and they’re the usual 2 arguments I hear off people who are against cyclists.

It’s sad that for almost all the suggestion suggesting that the answer will be for one road user group to change what they do. No wonder there is such a problem and so much conflict on the streets and on forums about this when everybody is blaming everybody else and won’t take some responiblity for the problem.

I pretty much agree with you Waynedl, mutual respect and consideration, but its probably the hardest solution to the problem.

As for the Mayor of Bristol, he was on a program about parking and congestion in Bristol a few weeks back, he really seems to be anti any motorised vehicle and has the power to push through policies without a vote. On the program he was in his city centre flat boasting how his locally made bread was delivered by bike, I did wonder how the flour was delivered to the bakery.

He is an example of the extremism that happens when ordinary people don’t bother with politics, it allows the radicals to take over.

Mutual respect and consideration. +1

Had a cyclist the other day cycling up the road towards me in the kerb.I was on the correct side of the road. He seemed to think there was nothing wrong. Just cycled up the near side.

Muckles mentioned Bristol and bakeries, I regularly delivered flour in the Bristol area and out of say 10 drops, 7 were street-side shops and handball. If I was still doing that job I’d be all in favour of dumping the lot on an industrial estate say somewhere near the Fruit Market and have someone else deliver it. For that matter if it was implemented, I’d go back to that job tomorrow.
TBH that program with the barmy mayor made Bristol sound a nightmare to deliver to. Total ■■■■■■■■, I enjoyed it and it was very rare to encounter any problems with cyclists, parking wardens or blue badge holders parking in loading bays.
Now Oxford and bikes; I think the spate of deaths in London has benefitted Oxford city. I can’t think of seeing any bad cycling in the last few weeks. Nobody has cycled up the inside of me (are they frightened of 8wheelers?), and yesterday I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many cyclists looking over their shoulder before indicating and maneuvering.
In return I set my speed limiter to 25 in the 30 along Woodstock Road and found it easy to pass 80% of the cyclists, the others were speed cyclists who matched my speed so we never conflicted with each other.
The only downer was a colleague of mine who criticised my manner around the cyclists. :unamused:

Lets face it, every day on the road is unpredictable, and opinions can swing accordingly. However, i think it is fair to say that a noticeable percentage of cyclists nationally seem to be either unaware of, or worse, unwilling to recognise, their legal obligation to adhere to the highway code. They are NOT exempt. Perhaps retro-fit nearside sensor/camera systems, coupled with national tv ad campaigns which highlight to cyclists the extreme dangers of entering the lgv blind zone at lights and junctions etc?. Compulsory hi-viz couldn`t harm either, could it?

Whilst many of the different suggestions offered up to address the problem seem sensible, the realities are invariably of unrealistic cost and nigh on impossible implementation. All i`ve really done here is squander a few pixels. Completely segregated vehicle/cycle networks is surely the only option that would truly resolve the issue, and that is simply NOT going to happen at any time in the foreseeable future.

I also like waynedl`s notion of a chip of some description to catch the light jumpers/kerbside filterers.

As for now, the highest levels of observation and awareness would appear to still be the only defences we can call on.

Ban all lorries from all hamlets, villages, towns and cities.
let rickshaws do the rest.

tortoise:
Had a cyclist the other day cycling up the road towards me in the kerb.I was on the correct side of the road. He seemed to think there was nothing wrong. Just cycled up the near side.

I was in Central London last night and a cyclist undertook me, weaved in and out of a few cars then jumped the red lights to turn left. All with no hi viz and no lights, in the dark.

cyclist you either love them or hate them, I have said in other post that I drive in London nearly every week and see the worst of them most days. If I was to drive in a cycle lane I leave myself open to a fine dropping through my door in the near future so why is it when there is a cycle lane right beside them they don’t us it and insist on riding in the main carriageway surely that could be considered “without due care and attention”. I have seen this so many times it baffles me, why weave in and out of traffic when they have a clear track to cycle down the mind boggles, is it the old saying “you can’t educate pork” or what :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Now that the negative cycling anecdotes have started I feel a “they should be on the pavement” “they don’t pay road tax” “suicidal, loony Lycra clad, bs, separation” type post coming along soon.
Let’s just say some cyclists, and some drivers, need educating about how to operate around each other. A few of those old " Charlie says" or Augustus windsock type public information adverts they used to have on tv should do nicely. No need to spend millions on redesigning roads & banning vehicles, it’s pointless. The only way to guarantee no deaths is completely ban one or the other and that’s just not going to happen.

Slackbladder:
Now that the negative cycling anecdotes have started I feel a “they should be on the pavement” “they don’t pay road tax” “suicidal, loony Lycra clad, bs, separation” type post coming along soon.
Let’s just say some cyclists, and some drivers, need educating about how to operate around each other. A few of those old " Charlie says" or Augustus windsock type public information adverts they used to have on tv should do nicely. No need to spend millions on redesigning roads & banning vehicles, it’s pointless. The only way to guarantee no deaths is completely ban one or the other and that’s just not going to happen.

I personally feel that we can all exist together on the road at the same time, but we/them must obey all the rules of the road, and before you all start shouting some drivers are as bad as some cyclist. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: