Interaction between Motorists and Cyclists - Questionnaire

Hello everyone,

I am a regular driver to and from University studying Product Engineering Design, I am looking at improving the interaction between cyclists and motorists.
Please could you help me out and complete my online survey which will go towards collecting data for my Final Major Project.

surveymonkey.com/r/ZQM9SGG

Thank-you,

Andrew Gratton

1. Whilst driving, do you consider bicycles to be hazardous and un-aware of them on the roads?

That’s yes they are hazardous and no I’m not unaware of them.

Am I reading it wrong?

Is it possible for a cyclist to get into a hazardous position,at the side,from the rear,in which a driver could predictably be unaware.Especially in the case of large vehicles.Yes.

Carryfast:
Is it possible for a cyclist to get into a hazardous position,at the side,from the rear,in which a driver could predictably be unaware.Especially in the case of large vehicles.Yes.

you could answer.obligatory for that one? :wink:

Left a rant about cyclists needing to be responsible for their own actions, obey rules of road, stop scooting down the non-existent gaps down nearside of trucks, use lights at night so we can see if we’ve passed them.

How can a bicycle be ‘hazardous’ to a lorry ? a lorry can certainly be hazardous to bicycle but not the other way around.

Bluey Circles:
How can a bicycle be ‘hazardous’ to a lorry ? a lorry can certainly be hazardous to bicycle but not the other way around.

A ‘lorry’ can be ‘hazardous’ to a ‘bicycle’ if a ‘cyclist’ rides it into a ‘hazardous’ position v the ‘lorry’.

poorly worded questions that will not provide any sensible conclusions .

start again me thinks .

unless you go to portsmouth of course

It won’t accept my survey without I answer no. 3 , which in my opinion needs to be rewritten in a clearer context.

Well intentioned maybe, but poorly worded.

boredwivdrivin:
poorly worded questions that will not provide any sensible conclusions .

start again me thinks .

unless you go to portsmouth of course

+1
Horrendous survey, back to school and start again.

+2

Most of the questions were far too vague and won’t gather any meaningful information

Sorry andrew, but i cant fathom out what youre trying to ascertain from this obscure line of questioning. Tbh, i dont even know how to begin responding to them. Might i suggest that you show your questionnaire to a few experienced truck drivers - theyll undoubtedly re-word the questions for you into a more answerable, relevant form.

Given that is someone studying at Uni, it makes me realise why my son in law, who teaches at Durham, says that courses are getting longer to make up for substandard school education.

Sorry Andrew, but it’s really badly written for something professional.

Q.1 I not use a car.That did it for me.

■■■■■■■:
Sorry andrew, but i cant fathom out what youre trying to ascertain from this obscure line of questioning. Tbh, i dont even know how to begin responding to them. Might i suggest that you show your questionnaire to a few experienced truck drivers - theyll undoubtedly re-word the questions for you into a more answerable, relevant form.

In fairness the cyclists should also have a say in how the questions are phrased, multiple choice example

Are lorries an unnecessary danger on the roads ?
…Very Much So
…Extremely
…Always
…Most of the time
…they should all be banned

Bluey Circles:

■■■■■■■:

In fairness the cyclists should also have a say in how the questions are phrased, multiple choice example

…Very Much So
…Extremely
…Always
…Most of the time

Reply started out uncharacteristically well, but predictably descended into a ridiculous, ■■■■-poor trolling gambit. Why attempt to turn it into a slanging match again?
Who knows - he might even have posted it on a CYCLING forum too.

■■■■■■■:

Bluey Circles:

■■■■■■■:

…Very Much So
…Extremely
…Always
…Most of the time

Reply started out uncharacteristically well, but predictably descended into a ridiculous, ■■■■-poor trolling gambit. Why attempt to turn it into a slanging match again?
Who knows - he might even have posted it on a CYCLING forum too.

the point I was making was; the questions could be loaded if either side of the argument were allowed to design them. They need to be compiled by a neutral.

Of course lorries are an unnecessary danger on the road. How else would cyclists get squished. You could have a load of white van man types, driving like loonies, to deliver all your stuff… oh have we been here before ?

Mr Gratton. English would be nice…