Insurance

This may seem like a strange question to some of you, but I shall endeavour to explain.

I haven’t got any. I haven’t yet got home contents insurance. In the past I have not had need to get any, and I have not had any accidents / break-ins / thefts etc.

However, thanks to a good job I have sufficiently invested in quite a bit more hardware, such as PDA, Maps, Camera, MP3CD player etc etc.

So what do you do for insurance, and how do you get around it.

The second part is how do you classify the truck when they (the insurance people) ask for your items to be “locked in the boot”. I asked where I might find such a thing on a lorry and they were unable to answer…

“Locked in the cab” or “Locked and hidden in the cab” are not covered.

Can the contents of the truck be covered by home insurance?

Or even some items anyway? My old home insurance covered my car contents but only if a theft occured whilst it was in the garage which was detached from the house.

Confusin’ this insurance lark you know but get good advice from a reputable company.

I’m sure there have been people on here who have claimed on their house insurance for stuff stolen from the cab…Johnny? Didn’t you do that when you were gassed last year? :bulb:

SMUDGER:
Can the contents of the truck be covered by home insurance?

My insurance (or rather, the one that is open to m) does not cover theft in that way. If said items were broken in the course of an assault on me then they would be covered ?! Strange or what!

The particular insurance I planned to get was via the Housing Association as all other quotes for contents insurance here is way above the norm, about x2 and x3 the charge they levy :frowning:

Talk to a broker and see if they can come up with a policy to cover your gear while in the truck, I’m sure there are policies like that out there.

There must be companies that would insure truck contents because you have personal items inside and your company insurance might not cover these personals.

Usually your boss is only interested in insurance for theft and damage to the truck.

Having said all that. If you do conti work then all that may be completely different!

Sorry to confuse you. :confused:

The bosses truck insurance rarely covers personal gear in it. You might have a boss who’s good enough to include your personal gear on the policy, so ask if it does or not, you never know :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

URTU (the union) used to have a policy for personal gear in your truck, but I think it was discontinued due to lack of interest. It cost about £50 for up to £500 of gear per year. I think that if you get any other insurance policy through that union, then a personal gear cover policy is thrown in for free, now. I could be wrong though, it wouldn’t be the first time :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: .

After my accident 5 years ago in my truck,I lost a sustantial amount of gear,due to damage,after all,there wasn’t much left of the truck,never mind anything else.

I couldn’t claim off my employers insurance,and had to claim off my house contents insurance instead,so make sure you have plenty of £££ cover for this.

Ken.

Got my Home Contents through Barclays Bank. Told them that I needed cover for Satnav etc in my lorry and the policy covers “goods away from home” up to about £1500 OTTOMH.

Got my home contents insurance through Prudential as it covers items away from the home. Left my camera in the hotel lobby in Singapore a couple of years ago and they paid out for that :smiley: so, I presume, personal items you take in the truck with you will be covered as well.

“Goods away from home” Well done Conor. That is what I was trying to think of but couldn’t quite get it out!! :wink:

check with your employer because ive been at firms when people have had gear nicked when the lorry has been parked in the yard over the weekend and the boss has give them 200 quid… which is nothing.