Insurance

Help!!! Been looking around at insurance for my units, and the difference in prices and cover etc is unbelievable! I need fully comp for 3 08 plate Renault premiums with 5 named drivers and a low excess. Quite simple and straight forward… Oh no!!! I have quotes ranging from £9k to wait for it… £174k per year!!!
Who do you guys insure with and what are they like? And realistically what am I looking for in standard cover??

I would have thought 9k for three units was reasonable now, thinking back to the last time I insured one in 2008 I was paying almost 5k for two, don’t know who to recommend though just a case of ringing round, 174k is a joke though, some people eh?

9k sounds ok for 3 motors mines 3.700 full comp +GIT to cmr and 5 mil public liability. Thought you had dafs. :question:

Mine is just over 3k for fully comp on an 05 plate premium with a claimed value of 12k and trailer cover up to 25k including detached trailers.

You mention 5 named drivers. Ask them how much it will be for any driver over 25. Mine was only about 100quid a year extra and it means you can have someone do an odd shift for you without having to mess about telling the insurers.

Mine is through Giles Insurance Brokers. They seem pretty good.

Paul

cornish for the last 5 years for me

nobody could get near the quote we had from towergate, but wrightsure did try very hard.

MysonVinnie:
Help!!! Been looking around at insurance for my units, and the difference in prices and cover etc is unbelievable! I need fully comp for 3 08 plate Renault premiums with 5 named drivers and a low excess. Quite simple and straight forward… Oh no!!! I have quotes ranging from £9k to wait for it… £174k per year!!!
Who do you guys insure with and what are they like? And realistically what am I looking for in standard cover??

£9k is fair, but, why are you asking after you have “secured the contract”, surely this exercise was part of the costing up ?

As Repton says, scrap the named drivers, and go for any trucker over 25, it`ll save some hassle @ 03.00am, when you are up a creek with zero paddles :open_mouth:

Stanley Mitchell:

MysonVinnie:

£9k is fair, but, why are you asking after you have “secured the contract”, surely this exercise was part of the costing up ?

As Repton says, scrap the named drivers, and go for any trucker over 25, it`ll save some hassle @ 03.00am, when you are up a creek with zero paddles :open_mouth:

Not sure how you conduct business, write business plans and forecasts however when I put the above together I run on average quotations. Why on earth would someone secure insurance before a contract starts and the trucks are on the road?? The contract starts in 2 weeks time, and now that we are all signed up and ready to go I will start putting things in place… Am I doing it the wrong way round? If so please let me know so that I can inform the entire business community!
In a couple of days I may be asking for peoples advice on such things as employee benefits, will this be ok or is should I have started paying my drivers 8 weeks ago when I went to my first meeting about the contract? Come to think of it I must get the MOT done on the units, after all they are due in 10 months!

I know this may sound stupid but have you got an o licence already as that takes between 2 and 3 months. Beverley and her mates take a dim veiw on not having one if they catch you without one or on someone else’s. :wink:

kr79:
I know this may sound stupid but have you got an o licence already as that takes between 2 and 3 months. Beverley and her mates take a dim veiw on not having one if they catch you without one or on someone else’s. :wink:

Yes o licence is in place, I applied for it as soon as I started to think about things, I was very surprised that it all came through within 8 weeks, even though we had to clarify a point about the operating centre.

Towergate seem to be keen at the moment. You could try Anthony Jones as well. Doubt you’ll get it for under 3k per unit though without any no claims. When you have 5 you can go on to a fleet policy.

Silver_Surfer:
. When you have 5 you can go on to a fleet policy.

you can count your car towards the 5 :wink:

£9k for 3 trucks sounds ok

N14ERF:
nobody could get near the quote we had from towergate, but wrightsure did try very hard.

Ditto, just been requoted the same £3200 from last year by Towergate which includes upto £100k cover for any 1 item, Axa are another firm who come within pennies of Towergate.

Big Joe:
£9k for 3 trucks sounds ok

N14ERF:

Ditto, just been requoted the same £3200 from last year by Towergate which includes upto £100k cover for any 1 item, Axa are another firm who come within pennies of Towergate.

Axa quoted just over £22k ! However the come out best for my GIT insurance

MysonVinnie:

Stanley Mitchell:

MysonVinnie:

Not sure how you conduct business, write business plans and forecasts however when I put the above together I run on average quotations. Why on earth would someone secure insurance before a contract starts and the trucks are on the road?? The contract starts in 2 weeks time, and now that we are all signed up and ready to go I will start putting things in place… Am I doing it the wrong way round? If so please let me know so that I can inform the entire business community!
In a couple of days I may be asking for peoples advice on such things as employee benefits, will this be ok or is should I have started paying my drivers 8 weeks ago when I went to my first meeting about the contract? Come to think of it I must get the MOT done on the units, after all they are due in 10 months!

I don`t get your other comments, other than, yes, I personally do it the otherway round.

I`m not having a go, but, what you are attemping to achieve, from a standing start, will need some pretty precise maths.

Good luck