Insurance

Got a question about insurance.

I am a newly passed driver and to gain experience ive signed up to several driving agencies.

I am under 25 and so alot of work i simply am not insured for.

I agreed to do some work for an agency, and then last thing the night before the agency phonned me up and said that i couldn’t do it because i was under 25.

If this were to happen again but the agency didn’t tell me in time what would happen to me if the worst happened ?

Every company that i have worked for has taken a photo copy of my driving licence, and i hope have seen and noted my age - is it worth me asking every new company about their insurance?

Anybody else had any experiences of this ?

If you turn up at a company and they won’t let you work because of your age/experience, bill your agency for the standard shift, usualy 8 hours.
I thing it would be fairly unusual for a company to actualy turn away a driver when they need one.

I would say it was counter productive for you to be asking companies about their insurance. The agency which sends you into a company should be covering that bit, its one of the things you pay them for.
When an agency supplies a driver, they usualy charge them about double what they pay you, so you are paying them.

Cheers simon, you make a good point about it being counter productive and i agree it is the agencies responsibility.

I’m wondering more about if i wasn’t insured, and something happened, i.e. i hit a lamp post or bumped a car, and then i was found not to be insured, what would happen ?

would it work like cars ? - i.e. is the insurance on the truck is my responsibility [i don’t mean picking up the bill] ?, would i get fined, get points on my licence ? and with the points on my licence then automaticly loose my licence [because i have had it under 3 years] ? - or would it come down to because i’m an agency driver would i be cleared of things and it come down on the agency ?

It’s the vehicle owner/operator who is responsible for the vehicle insurance.

Some agencies also have their own insurance which covers their drivers.

The question about points on your licence has been covered recently. If I remember correctly, the loosing your licence due to points on a new licence only applies to your first licence. That would be your car licence (or bike licence if you got that first).

Firstly there is a statutory defence to No Insurance where the driver “is an employee and did not know, and had no reason to believe” etc (or words to that effect).

Secondly, as of next month it will be unlawful to discriminate regarding age concerning employment so, if companies are still raising the 25 years of age question, then they need to start getting their house in order. And quickly.

It was recently announced that Asda, on their employment application forms, no longer ask for details of age.